Fenix TK12 (XP-G R5) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, PICS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'm kind of new to this forum and wasn't expecting such detailed review, but thank you it's very helpful. I've been looking for a new LED torch so i think the Fenix TK12 will be on the list
:welcome:

The TK12 is a solid light. I would also recommend you check out some of my other recent reviews in this class (e.g. Eagletac T20C2-II, 4Sevens G5, etc.). Each has relative advantages/disadvantages depending on the intended use (e.g. beam characteristics, user interface, etc.).

You'll find everything in my master list of reviews in my signature block.

Chris-841

Newly Enlightened
hi selfbuilt

Cheers. Im a police office so im looking for a torch for my belt and one to live in the car. Your reviews are helping
Ill have a look at your other reviews. thanks for the help

chris

SemperFi

Banned
hi selfbuilt

Cheers. Im a police office so im looking for a torch for my belt and one to live in the car. Your reviews are helping
Ill have a look at your other reviews. thanks for the help

chris

Hi Chris, welcome to the flashlight fraternity if I may so regard this community as one with serious dedications opted for a lifestyle as well.:hitit:

I would recommend your consideration as follows, and I'm not being bias on other brands but i just realized how much better deal and quality for satisfaction one got me when focusing on Fenix developments in this light of field.
Strangely though, when i step out of the home and by the time those few seconds needed to step into my car, I'm accompanied by 3 (yes, THREE) Fenixes, one PD30 on my hipbelt clipped conveniently to my Leatherman, the other, a TK12 R5, stashed safely too inside my leather strapbag that also has a 12,1" notebook that travels with me and in the car, next to my driving seat utility controls, a TK40.
My voluntary work as a Senior citizen involves security & recce on our large neighborly district and working with our Mayor and Police Force has brought attention among the peers within the force, both Police and fellow seniors and they all agree, this combination sure delivers a secure pack & punch for great fieldwork as support to our duties. I feel good too having the two main smaller flashlights with me most of the time.:devil:

I hope yr choice made will bring satisfaction for you too... btw, you sleep in yr vehicle??? :poke:Not on duty I hope....:D

cheersch to you Chris.

Last edited:

BBL

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, well done!

Are there several versions that run under 'TK12'? fenix-store sells a 18650-tube with fine threads, while the tested sample had those 'square'-threads and works with 18650 cells.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Are there several versions that run under 'TK12'? fenix-store sells a 18650-tube with fine threads, while the tested sample had those 'square'-threads and works with 18650 cells.
Yes, good point - the original TK12 came with an older emitter, had fine screw threads and couldn't take 18650. Fenix subsequently came out with a replacement battery tube that allowed for 18650 (what you saw on the dealer site).

The TK12 reviewed here is the new XP-G R5 model, with new, better quality square threading. It is not compatible with the old body style.

Chris-841

Newly Enlightened
Hi Chris, welcome to the flashlight fraternity if I may so regard this community as one with serious dedications opted for a lifestyle as well.:hitit:

I would recommend your consideration as follows, and I'm not being bias on other brands but i just realized how much better deal and quality for satisfaction one got me when focusing on Fenix developments in this light of field.
Strangely though, when i step out of the home and by the time those few seconds needed to step into my car, I'm accompanied by 3 (yes, THREE) Fenixes, one PD30 on my hipbelt clipped conveniently to my Leatherman, the other, a TK12 R5, stashed safely too inside my leather strapbag that also has a 12,1" notebook that travels with me and in the car, next to my driving seat utility controls, a TK40.
My voluntary work as a Senior citizen involves security & recce on our large neighborly district and working with our Mayor and Police Force has brought attention among the peers within the force, both Police and fellow seniors and they all agree, this combination sure delivers a secure pack & punch for great fieldwork as support to our duties. I feel good too having the two main smaller flashlights with me most of the time.:devil:

I hope yr choice made will bring satisfaction for you too... btw, you sleep in yr vehicle??? :poke:Not on duty I hope....:D

cheersch to you Chris.

Hi thanks for the welcome,
Yeh i was looking a Fenixes buts still looking, but thanks for recomendations. Not sure about me carrying 3 flashlights may become annoying on my belt after walking the beats for ages along with the other bits i have to carry. Good on you for volunteer work.
No i dont sleep in the car, wouldnt look good it somebody took a picture of the local office asleep :p

Chris

dannstrait

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt,

Looking at your runtime tests on max (18650), I figure the TK12 R5 has a buck/boost circuit in order to achieve that perfectly flat regulation for the whole run.

If you look at this post about AW's new 2900mah, why does regulation end and then enter into something like direct drive? I understand the chemistry for this new Panasonic cell must play a role, but could you explain for me? My guess is that the driver was designed for the higher ending voltage of LiCo chemistry rather than these new LiNiCo cells.

dannstrait

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the explanation jirik. I'm still learning here...so what you're saying is the buck driver voltage drop plus the led Vf of the TK12 R5 < voltage of the AW 2600 18650 thus providing the flat regulation?

My additional question is this: The Olight M20 R2 does not have flat regulation on 18650, it is pretty much direct drive from the start (on Max). Based on the TK12 R5, is it logical to believe the M20 R5 has flat regulation on 18650 as well?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
My additional question is this: The Olight M20 R2 does not have flat regulation on 18650, it is pretty much direct drive from the start (on Max). Based on the TK12 R5, is it logical to believe the M20 R5 has flat regulation on 18650 as well?
As for the battery question, I will defer to the experts here - it's not really my area of expertise.

As the M20-R5, hard to know since I haven't seen it. But as you will have noticed, the TK12 is something of anomaly - most multi-level, multi-power lights are direct drive on 18650 on Hi. In this case, I would assume the M20-R5 retains its general output/runtime properties, unless provided with evidence to the contrary.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Whoops, should have found this post earlier...pretty much answers my question I guess.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3375992&postcount=60
Not necessarily - that runtime was of a M20S.

Although the M20 and M20S XP-G R5s sound the same on paper, the control interface difference is actually substantial. I haven't tested either model, but I understand from some reports here that the M20S has visible PWM (and concomitant lower runtime) on the Lo/Med level.

Again, I haven't verified myself, but that could mean that performance on Turbo is not necessarily identical between the models. Someone would need to have tested it on the M20-R5 for you to be sure.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Well, kinda solid, dropped it last night and the light stays on sometimes, clicky simply doesn't work anymore then.
Anyone know how to fix it?
Have you tried tightening the retaining ring for the clicky switch? Always the most likely culprit for intermittent failures.

After that, you can try the paper clip test to rule in/out the actual switch (i.e. connect the negative terminal of the battery directly to the non-anodized portion of the battery tube). If the light lights up normally with the paper clip, then the problem must be internal to the switch or the tailcap.

otis_bartleh

Newly Enlightened
I just recently got this light on closeout at LAPG for $45, and love it so far, I'm very impressed. One minor bug that I'm finding is that when the head is set to the low mode, I can nudge the head to a certain angle and change the mode. Besides that, this thing is awesome. Anyone else have this problem?

eta: To the OP, thank you very much for the detailed review. Your review was my deciding factor, bought the light and an AW 2600mah 18650. Runtime and power is awesome, I'm very happy with my purchase, so thanks!