Fire-Foxes FF4&FF3 HID Reviews

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had a chance to play with my FF4 and it KICKS! There 2 things that bother me though, one is the light can't go back into 60W mode once you leave it. This means you have to turn it off and turn it back on to get to 60W. This is very inconvenient because once you turn it off you can't turn it back on right away. Second is you can't jump into 60W right after start up, even after the light has warmed up, you have to wait at least 30 seconds or more before you can turn on max power.

Does anyone else have these same issues?

Ethen

Newly Enlightened
I just had a chance to play with my FF4 and it KICKS! There 2 things that bother me though, one is the light can't go back into 60W mode once you leave it. This means you have to turn it off and turn it back on to get to 60W. This is very inconvenient because once you turn it off you can't turn it back on right away. Second is you can't jump into 60W right after start up, even after the light has warmed up, you have to wait at least 30 seconds or more before you can turn on max power.

This is my least favorite

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh well, 40w is still very bright. For the price there's nothing else that can compare in output. I forgot to mention the light feels very solid and well built. My example came with perfect anodizing that feels just right

coconutz

Newly Enlightened

After turning it off and then back on, what setting does it revert to?

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
The start up setting is always 40w. With HID's, you shouldn't turn them on and off repeatedly (re striking it) as that shortens the bulb life. Which is why it's a bummer you can't switch between ALL power settings without cycling the light off first

daveam

Newly Enlightened
My FF4 from doingoutdoor came to Canada through EMS / Canada Post. Ordered May 28, arrived June 10. Had to sign for it, but no extra fees (brokerage, taxes) were payable when I picked it up at the post office. :)

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine from Bill. Man, its output is unbelievable. I thought my TK70 was already a good thrower and bright. But this FF4 puts it to shame.

Just got mine from Bill. Man, its output is unbelievable. I thought my TK70 was already a good thrower and bright. But this FF4 puts it to shame.

That's good to hear. Mine is on order. How does the throw and output on 40W compare to your TK70?
What cells are you using?

Last edited:
My FF4 has arrived. Just fired it up in the garden. UI and switches work just fine. LOL it pretty much turned night into day, yes really. I cannot believe how bright this thing is. I also cannot believe how beautiful colours are with this tint. I am totally blown away. What a great purchase :thumbsup: though I am now blind somewhat.
Not sure quite why, but I really did not expect to be this impressed. Looking forward to it's first proper outing.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good to hear. Mine is on order. How does the throw and output on 40W compare to your TK70?
What cells are you using?

Sorry for replying late. It throws brighter and farther than my TK70 on 40W, with a glorious warmth at that. I use Panasonic NCR18650PD cells. People got to see in person how glorious looking it renders the natural colors of the landscape it shines on. Magnificent! Photos cannot do justice. I never expected to like and enjoy an HID in the FF4.

Quickstrike

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys roam around your urban neighbourhood with your Fire Foxes' lights? I love the size and power of these, but I think it might be a little overkill for walking the dogs at night - attracting more attention than I am comfortable with. The thing I like about LED/Incandescent lights is that you can use them for a few seconds and then switch them off - with HID you have to be a little more committed.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys roam around your urban neighbourhood with your Fire Foxes' lights? I love the size and power of these, but I think it might be a little overkill for walking the dogs at night - attracting more attention than I am comfortable with. The thing I like about LED/Incandescent lights is that you can use them for a few seconds and then switch them off - with HID you have to be a little more committed.

Ninety-nine percent of my illumination needs is served by my single AA, 105-lumen LED which I EDC, among my other LED lights.
Owning and using an HID like the FF4 is surely overkill, but isn't it nice to have an 'overkill' light among your other lights?

It is not the recommended light if one is to own only one light, however, who does here?:):)

sxv

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for replying late. It throws brighter and farther than my TK70 on 40W, with a glorious warmth at that. I use Panasonic NCR18650PD cells. People got to see in person how glorious looking it renders the natural colors of the landscape it shines on. Magnificent! Photos cannot do justice. I never expected to like and enjoy an HID in the FF4.

What run times do you get from them! Are they 3400mah? What the leters PD(after the number) stands for?