Fire Foxes IV FF4

netmon22

Newly Enlightened
Very old thread I know.. just wondering if anyone is still selling a spare battery carrier for the FF4. My flashlight has suddenly stopped working after about 100 hours of use over some years (never dropped) and just trying to rule out common problems.

Also, I bought my FF4 from Wallbuys 4 years ago (not used frequently).. has anybody tried returning their FF4 under the limited warranty scheme? Are problems with the battery carrier covered?

Also, do I just return to Wallbuys or to a specialized repair centre? I'm in Europe.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Scott

I know you posted this a year ago, but I purchased 2 of the ff4 right as they were released. 1 for me and 1 for my dad. Mine worked for 10 seconds and I thought the battery carrier was bad since that green light would come on and go off randomly. I ordered another battery carrier maybe 6 months later and same problem. but now by that time it was out of warranty so I started trying to find something wrong inside and one of the components inside the flashlight nearest the bottom center of the reflector had grounded out with the bottlm of the bulb. My dads to this day still works fine and I see it every weekend sitting on his kitchen counter. I wanted one so bad and finally had the money to get us both one and I got 5-10 seconds out of it for apx $280 or so + $50 for a replacement battery carrier (I've got one if you still need one).

larryk

Enlightened
I had an intermittent problem with mine. I thought it was the batter carrier at first but it turned out the 3 battery contacts in the head were the problem. The solder joint inside came loose. You can easily check yours with your finger. The 3 contacts should be tight, if you can wiggle 1 or all of them you have a broken solder joint. Maybe this is helpful.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you posted this a year ago, but I purchased 2 of the ff4 right as they were released. 1 for me and 1 for my dad. Mine worked for 10 seconds and I thought the battery carrier was bad since that green light would come on and go off randomly. I ordered another battery carrier maybe 6 months later and same problem. but now by that time it was out of warranty so I started trying to find something wrong inside and one of the components inside the flashlight nearest the bottom center of the reflector had grounded out with the bottlm of the bulb. My dads to this day still works fine and I see it every weekend sitting on his kitchen counter. I wanted one so bad and finally had the money to get us both one and I got 5-10 seconds out of it for apx $280 or so + $50 for a replacement battery carrier (I've got one if you still need one).

I'll take the battery carrier if he doesn't want it. Couldn't send you a pm

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

If you can please contact me about getting your extra battery holder at [email protected] Thanks!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I took my spare battery pack apart--had to dremel the 4 set screws just outside the top springs to get the top off, and found a loose screw inside. Once I tightened it up...voila...battery carrier worked perfectly. May not be as cosmetic, but who cares?

The newer FF4 model holders use different screws and are more secure.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my spare battery pack apart--had to dremel the 4 set screws just outside the top springs to get the top off, and found a loose screw inside. Once I tightened it up...voila...battery carrier worked perfectly. May not be as cosmetic, but who cares?

The newer FF4 model holders use different screws and are more secure.

I'm gonna have to send mine to you and see what you can do with it

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh, I have both models, the FF4 and FF3. I need to check them all out now. I know the FF3 battery carrier has different circuitry than the FF4. I didn't know the FF4's vary. I can't remember, but I think I popped one FF3 in an FF4 and they both worked in different lights. Not entirely sure it was quite awhile ago.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I'm gonna have to send mine to you and see what you can do with it

might as well, as these carriers make the whole light useless.

I can't guarantee my bush fix will work on yours, but I'm glad to fix this one, plus I had bought a spare carrier from Lips with original sale. I just like having spare parts/bulbs for all my lights.

pm me

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Eh, I have both models, the FF4 and FF3. I need to check them all out now. I know the FF3 battery carrier has different circuitry than the FF4. I didn't know the FF4's vary. I can't remember, but I think I popped one FF3 in an FF4 and they both worked in different lights. Not entirely sure it was quite awhile ago.

You are correct that the battery carriers are interchangeable between FF3 & FF4. I'm not aware of any circuitry/features differences between them. They both output 4s with center ring being the + output.