Fireflies ROT66

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZLiQQCg.png

Nokoff

Enlightened
I was looking to purchase one in champagne/tan color with the N219b...can't find any for sale.

Fireflies 'ff' webpage won't load either. Did they disappear off the face of the Earth or is he just working on a V2 and I missed the announcement maybe? :guessing:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Page is loading for me.

They're also releasing XPG2 Neutral and Cool white versions, plus SST20 6500k and 4000k 95 CRI, all for 20usd less (78usd). Just recently with a post on BLF they mentioned they solved the XPL HI issues thanks to a recommendation by Vinh, so that should be going up for sale again soon.

More pics!
DSC_0129.jpg

Nokoff

Enlightened
Good info on the new options ty..Seems those are listed there now. The SST20 HCRI is tempting. Looks like both the head and tail-cap are the same material now too.
e89bf1d16b9efa5866c230c22fd18293.png
53f37c4b264fb619e51f519db618ba9f.png

The discount code is still being offered for 15% off and free shipping.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking to purchase one in champagne/tan color with the N219b...can't find any for sale.

Fireflies 'ff' webpage won't load either. Did they disappear off the face of the Earth or is he just working on a V2 and I missed the announcement maybe? :guessing:
Looking for that as well, couldnt find them for sale so ended up fleabaying a 218ct in black :/

That rose is going to be hard to find I think

Nokoff

Enlightened
I was able to order both a 219b in champagne and a SST20 4000k in black just today. Have new sets of Sony VTC5 and VTC5A on the way for each.

I have 4 VTC5 still from 2014 and to this day they charge to 4.18 -4.20 and hold their charge incredibly long for being only 2600mah

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to order both a 219b in champagne and a SST20 4000k in black just today. Have new sets of Sony VTC5 and VTC5A on the way for each.

I have 4 VTC5 still from 2014 and to this day they charge to 4.18 -4.20 and hold their charge incredibly long for being only 2600mah
Great selection! I'll check to see if they have anymor.

Frumious

Newly Enlightened
I have had my ROT-66 for about a week and have been testing it in the increasing dark hours here in Alaska where I live. Here are my thoughts about this light:

Unboxing: A nice gift-worthy box with a magnetic close. Classy.

Size and weight: Compact ¾ scale soda can format. About half the weight of my BLF Q8

Aesthetics: With the champagne color it is elegant. It looks like big jewelry; a welcome alternative to basic black.

Emitter/Color: Mine has 9 XPL HI V3 3A. Natural White: I like it. Excellent color rendition. It's like the noon-day sun is out.

Brightness: This is a ridiculously bright floodlight. It is the brightest light in my collection that includes Emisar D1, D1S and D4 lights as well as the BLF Q8. It is brighter than my car's headlights on high beam. How many lumens on Turbo? I don't know. But it is considerably brighter than the BLF Q8. (Both are powered by new button top Orbtronic ORB-3120 batteries – rewrapped Sony VCT6 - which each kick out 30+ amps for a few minutes.)

Throw distance? It is primarily a floodlight. Yet with this much brightness, useable light reaches out a couple hundred yards – only slightly less distance than the Q8.

User Interface: It is intuitive. I only use ramping or two-click Turbo. When ramping up there is a quick blink when it reaches maximum brightness.

Carrying ease: If I am wearing baggy jeans or an overcoat, it is pocketable (I find the Q8 is not). It also comes with a substantial lanyard which screws into a tripod hole. The lanyard's color is also champagne.

Heat management: It gets hot quickly on Turbo. Any longer than 60 seconds requires gloves. During winter in Alaska this heat can be useful. Heat is not an issue when the light is ramped down a bit.

Fun feature: A glow-in-the dark ring surrounding the LEDs is activated by the brightness of the light. It glows a very attractive blue. Nice touch.

Summary: This is a pretty light, a classy light. This is a ridiculously bright floodlight with some throw. This is a relatively compact and therefore useful light. I keep it close at hand in my Bentley's glove box.

Frumious

Newly Enlightened
.... I've been thinking about getting a Q8 and trying the Samsung high CRI emitters in it, but this makes for a more difficult choice.

I have both a Q8 and this light with XPL HI V3 3A natural white emitters. Because of its smaller size and greater brightness, I reach for the ROT-66 first. It is floody with some throw - a bit less throw than the Q8 but plenty for me. Do note that it gets hot on turbo; after 30 seconds I ramp it down some. I have posted my thoughts about this light in this thread.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
I have both a Q8 and this light with XPL HI V3 3A natural white emitters. Because of its smaller size and greater brightness, I reach for the ROT-66 first. It is floody with some throw - a bit less throw than the Q8 but plenty for me. Do note that it gets hot on turbo; after 30 seconds I ramp it down some. I have posted my thoughts about this light in this thread.

After reading your earlier post, I'm going to get the V3 3A when it's available again. I think it is exactly what I was hoping for in color and brightness. Not 100% convinced with the champagne color and may go the safe route and order a black one.

Last edited:

Frumious

Newly Enlightened
After reading your earlier post, I'm going to get the V3 3A when it's available again. I think it is exactly what I was hoping for in color and brightness. Not 100% convinced with the champagne color and may go the safe route and order a black one.

I think you will like the V3 3A color. I'm surprised more buyers are not selecting this option given that the specs suggest it has about twice the lumens of the Nichia emitters. It is definitely brighter than the BLF Q8 which puts out 5,000+ lumens. And while it is not a spot or search light, it does have some throw.

The more I use it, the more I like it. I don't carry an EDC on my person except a tiny bright keychain light. The closest thing to an EDC for me is what I keep handy in my car. This ROT66 is it.

Even with what must be substantial power draw, the three 18650 batteries last quite a while in real world usage. I am charging them for the first time; after two weeks of nightly use they had only drawn down to 4.0 volts.

Last edited:

Bob_McBob

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised more buyers are not selecting this option given that the specs suggest it has about twice the lumens of the Nichia emitters.

Many people care about light quality more than maximum lumens, especially in a light that can't even sustain it for very long. The sw45k 219B has a very deserved reputation and is in short supply these days, so the Nichia ROT66 is a real boon to flashlight enthusiasts. A run of the mill XP-L HI is rather pedestrian by comparison even in a nice tint bin.

Frumious

Newly Enlightened
Many people care about light quality more than maximum lumens, especially in a light that can't even sustain it for very long. The sw45k 219B has a very deserved reputation and is in short supply these days, so the Nichia ROT66 is a real boon to flashlight enthusiasts. A run of the mill XP-L HI is rather pedestrian by comparison even in a nice tint bin.

Bob: That could be why. I'm sure you will like this well done video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70WVUYC0f7Q&t=15s

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ROT66 sst20 4000k 95 cri shipped!

Gonna have 3 ROT66 CRI monsters to compare sometime soon:

Nichia 4500k R9080
Samsung 4000k LH351D + 804 filter
Luminus 4000k SST20

Haven't ordered so many of one light before-- I think I'm in love.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nichia 4500k R9080
Luminus 4000k SST20

I would love to hear your impressions of the SST 20 4000k. There hasn't been much feedback on this led yet as I don't think many have received those yet. I look forward to your feedback when it arrives.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nichia 4500k R9080
Luminus 4000k SST20

Sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing those comparisons.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the 804 filter? I have vinhns version 2 which is Samsung 351 HCRI 4000K, I'd like to see what the 804 filter benefit is, thanks!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the 804 filter? I have vinhns version 2 which is Samsung 351 HCRI 4000K, I'd like to see what the 804 filter benefit is, thanks!

804 is a "minus green" color filter that can help improve the tint of some LED's. The Samsung LH351D is one that generally has a little bit of extra green in it and from user Maukka's testing, goes from very good to excellent color rendition with one added. There is a few percent light output reduction as a result.

I don't know if the number 804 is specific to the Lee brand, or if other filter makers like Roscoe use the same numbering scheme. There are options from 801 (minimal effect) to 805 (strongest effect) depending how much correction you want.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent Vinh some Lee Zircon filters to go along with my ROT66 and U21vn that had a bad sideswitch. He said he thought the filter improved the U21's tint as well so he added it to that. He may or may not have some more left over, or might be able to get some more in the future.

Different optics will yield slightly different results, but of the ones Maukka tested, an 804 filter applied to the LH351Ds made them pretty much right on the BBL.

The Zircon filters are made to resist high heat output from LEDs, but I'm not sure what other brand has something similar.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
I think you will like the V3 3A color. I'm surprised more buyers are not selecting this option given that the specs suggest it has about twice the lumens of the Nichia emitters. It is definitely brighter than the BLF Q8 which puts out 5,000+ lumens. And while it is not a spot or search light, it does have some throw.

The more I use it, the more I like it. I don't carry an EDC on my person except a tiny bright keychain light. The closest thing to an EDC for me is what I keep handy in my car. This ROT66 is it.

Even with what must be substantial power draw, the three 18650 batteries last quite a while in real world usage. I am charging them for the first time; after two weeks of nightly use they had only drawn down to 4.0 volts.

Now that you mention it, is the V3 3A around 5000K and similar in tint to the Q8? I hear much talk about the Nichia but also read that some people are not impressed as well. I think I would be one of those based on what I have seen around the web. Tint seems way too rosy for me and I don't know what use I would have for that.