Fireflies ROT66

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSC_0164.png

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my two today. Only had a brief chance to play so far. These things reek of quality and well thought out details.

27bbbb433054e94478fae1a3e16011b6.jpg
e1b403baecdf3b45e7869b558f61f877.jpg
cd1bf6b4247b0683e148d0ac563756fc.jpg
Mine doesnt have fireflies like that, got mine from vinh, is thag a new version?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newest ROT66s will have aux LEDs on the PCB, and the SS tailcap included. Fireflies supposedly changed from NarsilM to Anduril as well.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen confirmation that Anduril is definitely happening. Are you sure?

I can't decide for sure which UI sounds more appealing to me, but with adjustable ramp ceilings, a soft lockout, muggle mode, and really well thought out thermal control features, Anduril shipping stock on this light might break down my last semblence of self control.

Nice comparison. Seems like an excellent result. Would you estimate the LH351D mod gives you higher overall output than the 219b version?

Nokoff, congrats. What catches my eye most about your picture, though, is not that elegant looking pair of Fireflies. It's that X80. I'm stunned that lumen monster is so close in size to the ROT66.

The ROT66 definitely fits my wants and needs better, though.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say the Samsung LEDs, even with the Lee filter over them, look appreciably brighter than the Nichias. I won't know for sure until I get a second set of V6s to compare apples to apples, but even when changing my two sets of batteries around, the Samsungs still look a little brighter. I estimate ~1000 lumens brighter.

I have a D4S as well, and I overall prefer NarsilM for ramping configuration. I think NarsilM is somewhat of a mess for mode configuration though.

Last edited:

klrman

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen confirmation that Anduril is definitely happening. Are you sure?

I can't decide for sure which UI sounds more appealing to me, but with adjustable ramp ceilings, a soft lockout, muggle mode, and really well thought out thermal control features, Anduril shipping stock on this light might break down my last semblence of self control.

Nice comparison. Seems like an excellent result. Would you estimate the LH351D mod gives you higher overall output than the 219b version?

Nokoff, congrats. What catches my eye most about your picture, though, is not that elegant looking pair of Fireflies. It's that X80. I'm stunned that lumen monster is so close in size to the ROT66.

The ROT66 definitely fits my wants and needs better, though.

I ordered mine a few days ago and Jack said I have the choice between Narsil and Anduril and I chose Anduril.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Nice.. do you know which version fireflies will send out if you didnt ask ?

I don't know which version but from what I understand, according to ToyKeeper, updated ramping code for my XPL hi that I ordered has not been created yet, so it could be that I may be getting the light with malfunctioning ramping. I did email Jack about that but no reply yet. Told him I have no problem waiting until they get the ramping figured out.

Nokoff

Enlightened
I have the Nichia and SST20 4000k.
The SST20 is not as pure neutral as the Nichia, however it is brighter and throws a slightly larger and longer hotspot. The Nichia makes the SST20 look slightly yellow on a wall side by side, but outside they're both very high CRI. Really can't decide which I like better.

Im hoping that the XPL emitter issue has been worked out in a good way. I see they're in stock again ....so placed an order for the V3 3A 5000k :)

I shy away from CW normally due to green. The SST20 CW is 6500k however that's a great performing emitter in this torch. I just can't speak to the color.

I'm also considering the XPG2 NW. that's a great emitter. I just haven't seen the Lumen specs on it if they exist.

fb335a99c3c5852818d796afa4b760d4.jpg

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know which version but from what I understand, according to ToyKeeper, updated ramping code for my XPL hi that I ordered has not been created yet, so it could be that I may be getting the light with malfunctioning ramping. I did email Jack about that but no reply yet. Told him I have no problem waiting until they get the ramping figured out.

It shouldn't malfunction, as far as I know, but I'd expect it to ramp faster in the regulated range and slower in the FET-driven range than the ideal curve due to having more 7135 chips.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
It shouldn't malfunction, as far as I know, but I'd expect it to ramp faster in the regulated range and slower in the FET-driven range than the ideal curve due to having more 7135 chips.

Wasn't sure how that worked, thanks. Jack replied as well and said he will send me the light when it has the updated firmware.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
I have the Nichia and SST20 4000k.
The SST20 is not as pure neutral as the Nichia, however it is brighter and throws a slightly larger and longer hotspot. The Nichia makes the SST20 look slightly yellow on a wall side by side, but outside they're both very high CRI. Really can't decide which I like better.

Im hoping that the XPL emitter issue has been worked out in a good way. I see they're in stock again ....so placed an order for the V3 3A 5000k :)

I shy away from CW normally due to green. The SST20 CW is 6500k however that's a great performing emitter in this torch. I just can't speak to the color.

I'm also considering the XPG2 NW. that's a great emitter. I just haven't seen the Lumen specs on it if they exist.

fb335a99c3c5852818d796afa4b760d4.jpg

I ordered the V3 3A 5000k too :) Hoping it will be really nice! I like NW for my flooders and CW for my throwers.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I no matter what settings or angle I tried to photograph from, I couldn't get my camera to show the tint differences between my 3 ROT66 accurately, so I'll have to write out what I observed.
The 3 ROT66's I have are:

Nichia 219B R9080 4500k
Samsung LH351D + Lee 804 Zircon Filter ~4000k
Luminus SST20 HCRI 4000k

The comparison between the ones with the Samsung and Luminus LEDs is more interesting since they share similar CCTs. The Samsung emitters have the 804 filter over them, which makes them slightly less green, and according to Maukka's measurements, puts them at or or very slightly below the BBL. The hotspot is massive compared to the SST20, but naturally less intense.

The Luminus emitters are maybe a little above 4000k according to my subjective impressions, and are on the green side of things. The Samsung emitters might slightly be below 4000k, but look to be very much on the BBL without too much green. I personally still prefer slightly more rosiness to the tint.

The Nichia emitters make for a beam profile that's near identical to the Luminus emitters, although I would say the transition from the edge of the hotspot to spill is slightly more sudden on the SST20 emitters compared to the 219Bs. Again, LH351Ds throw a massive hotspot by comparison (really a huge, bright corona, with a small but subtle hotspot in the middle.)

I tried to take the 804 filter from the Samsungs and put it on the ROT66 with the SST20, but it seems as though Fireflies is now gluing in the Bezels, because I couldn't take mine off. This might be part of their solution to solving the crushed XPL HI issues. So, the best I could do was put the lens with the Filter on it over the Luminus emitters with their lens already on.

Comparing the SST20s with no filter to the LH351Ds without the filter and/or lens, their tints are extremely similar, but when shining both on wood and skin, the SST20s shows more of a rosy vibrancy. The SST20s with the 804 filter on would be very special I think.

So, if I had to list my preferences in beam pattern and tint, it would be:

1: Nichia 219B R9080 /possibly Luminus SST20 HCRI w/804
2: Samsung LH351D w/ 804
3: Luminus SST20 HCRI
4: Samsung LH351D.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great info! Thanks for doing the comparison.

Do you think the size of the LH351D hotspot is solely due to it having a larger die and dome, or is it possible the 804 is diffusing the beam?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
100% the size of the LED in relation to the optics. The LH351D are so big that their corners are slightly cut off in the opening of the optics, at least that's what it looks visually. The 219B are a good bit smaller, and are a great fit in the optics. The SST20 are even smaller than the 219B, but not too much smaller, it does lend them to having more throw though.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting description comparing the emitters, much more than the images can relate.

Are you seeing a green tinge while out and about, or is it pretty much only when making a 'tint analysis'?
I ask this because of my quad Nichia 219c Emisar looks pretty good in the forest and such but shining it on a concrete curb one time it had a faint, yet distractingly green hue.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mostly indoor usage, but I have compared outside as well. Woods and dirt really show the green in the 219C.

Last edited: