• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fireflies ROT66vn V2 - Popcan Auxiliary

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I just retest and this time to make sure I got the double click twice right. 9500L at turn on but that drop to 9000 in just several seconds. So original 9000L quote stands.

Th558

Newly Enlightened
Cancelled my order..how can they possible think it's ok to write 18000 lumens on a 9500 lumen light??? even if it was 11000 i'd still be dissapointed. I was expecting about at least 15k when i ordered. Even the throw numbers are way off. Usually your candela numbers are a bit exaggerated but here they're the other way around.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Cancelled my order..how can they possible think it's ok to write 18000 lumens on a 9500 lumen light??? even if it was 11000 i'd still be dissapointed. I was expecting about at least 15k when i ordered. Even the throw numbers are way off. Usually your candela numbers are a bit exaggerated but here they're the other way around.

Just a minor correction:

My intensity numbers might be high VS others but not "exaggerated". They are relatively correct among my own lights.

Th558

Newly Enlightened
That's what i meant. Your acebeam L16 shows about 663m which is higher than it should be so I was expecting the ROT66G2 to also be higher than spec...but its lower. So that means it's even worse than I thought. In real life how does the throw compare to something like an MT18S or white 2 D18?

Edit: BTW i just realised on the D18vn white 1 specs it says 173Kcd, 882m It should be 832m

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I just retest and this time to make sure I got the double click twice right. 9500L at turn on but that drop to 9000 in just several seconds. So original 9000L quote stands.

That's still respectable and close to what we'd expect from 12 x W2's... almost 800L per LED. 10,000L would give us 833L per LED and match the D18vn. Maybe there's a little more resistance in the ROT66. I'm guessing Vinh added spring contact bypasses but if not, that would probably help a little.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some pix I took comparing D18vn W1 and Rott66 gen2 W2, the D18vn beats it in throw because of tighter focus and whiter tint.

D18vn wide angle - @100 meters
9710d93f5e28648c6d2a0e4bd9bfcafb.jpg

Rott66 gen 2 wide angle - @100 meters
39638a7b66603fef66b1da4e439a5393.jpg

Rott66 gen2 zoomed - @100 meters
b9e126cd329387dbc1dabeda09af64d0.jpg

D18vn zoomed - @100 meters
b9059cf6fd542bd002c2cf27d22ee0c7.jpg

D18vn - @75 meters
5051be5033bbee1927f397cc023c2e04.jpg

Rott66 gen2 - @75 meters
774f552af443e53614380cfc2e8529e8.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Glenn, that seems to be very respectable performance from the stock 66 gen2 W2. Looking at the 100m zoomed set of pictures, it appears that the D18vn still has the lumen advantage with a lot of light on the street as well. That's a really unique comparison and thanks for taking the time to post those! Aside from the fact that one light is V54, do you have a favorite?

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glenn, that seems to be very respectable performance from the stock 66 gen2 W2. Looking at the 100m zoomed set of pictures, it appears that the D18vn still has the lumen advantage with a lot of light on the street as well. That's a really unique comparison and thanks for taking the time to post those! Aside from the fact that one light is V54, do you have a favorite?

Hard to pick which I like better, D18 has more throw appearing brighter from glare/bounce back off surfaces and moisture/dust with a colder tint. D18 gets hotter quicker, the pretty aux lights are nice on rot66 - Vinh would know how good internals are compared to the D18. Rott66 feels really solid and compact having 7075 alu and ss tail and bezel and a smaller head, it also has a nice switch, easier to find than D18.
I did some bounce tests with my meter and rott66 is brighter by just a bit.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got back from my vacation and gonna chime in on the ROT66v2 that was awaiting me.

I am the biggest ROT66v1 fan ever. I had bought 4-5 over time, experimenting with different emitter options. I eventually settled on SST20 4000k + Lee Zircon 804 filter. It's my workhorse sodacan light that I use for hiking/night walking and ceiling bounce.

First impressions of the generation2 ROT66. It definitely feels heavier, and the added texture on the tube offers more grip-- feels like a grenade. The tube has way thicker walls since there's no battery carrier. The v2 is not much shorter than v1. In fact I'd say it's same size, with only difference being the taller SS bezel on v1. Not sure if I prefer the smoothness of the handle on v1 or the ruggedness of v2 yet. The heatsink portion of the light doesn't seem to be larger, but the fins are deeper. Hopefully the added bulk in the handle makes good contact with the emitters so some of the heat can flow down there.

The v2 has a side-switch that protrudes from the body, making it easier to find in dark. However, the side-switch button is not illuminated. That's a big minus for me compared to V2. I'm also not the biggest fan of the font style for the ROT66 name on its body compared to V1. I liked V1's smaller, sleeker font. In dark I know this is a non-factor, but it still gets to me.

My VTC6s rattle in V2, they do not in V1. That is a big minus for me. This rattling does not affect electrical contact, however it is very sensitive to being placed down on hard surfaces compared to V1. The light will flicker momentarily, but will still stay on. V1 will sometimes shut off if jarred too hard.

Aux leds are siginificantly brighter on V2 than V1. That's a plus in my book, because now you get the opportunity to adjust aux led brightness through anduril ui, to make it dimmer if you want.

Beam pattern between V2 and V1 (both running SST20 4000k leds) is more different than I thought it would be. V1 had a spotlight effect with a large, filled hotspot and soft corona leading to a dim spill, which I quite liked. V2 has a way smaller hotspot, followed by brighter, wider and more usable spill compared to V1. I think it's definitely the more usable beam, but I might prefer the larger, flatter hotspot of V1. I made a quick graphic to help illustrate the difference:

DmfJlOM.jpg

The 12 emitters vs 9 in the same amount of head is welcome. There's more efficient use of space there, and more available power plus higher sustained output. Always welcome.

Overall I think it's an improvement, but not a home run. I would like to see springs on both sides of batteries for a tighter connection. I might even try playing with longer batteries to see if that helps. I would have really liked to see aux lighting on the side-switch for super ease of locating in the dark. A lot of the things that drive me to the ROT66 are still here: stainless steel bezel AND tailcap: 7075 aluminum, 3x18650 form factor, and aux lights. I could care less about the Osram version as I enjoy the CRI and tint for a workhorse light, but I am now intrigued by the D18 a little.

Edit: I am now trying out the beaded optics, lanyard screw in, holster, and diffuser. The holster doesn't seem to be anything special, but looks serviceable. The ROT66 fits snuggly into it. The v1 didn't have a holster so this is a good upgrade.

The lanyard attachment is awkward because it juts out where I would normally place my index finger. It's not the most ergonomic, but I do quite like the new stainless steel plug that the lanyard screws in to. It looks nice when it fills the awkward hole that the V1 had if you never put the lanyard on.

The diffuser doesn't stay on the head of the ROT66, and just falls right off unless you're tailstanding for use as a lantern. Besides that one scenario it's totally useless-- which is okay to me, because really I only see it being used as a lantern replacement.

The beaded optics are nice-- really nice. Huuuge smooth and filled hotspot, with not much output wasted in spill, like you would see with frosted lenses over reflectors. The tint of the SST20 mixes very nicely with the beaded optics as well. In throw optics, the SST20 has a slightly warmer and greener hotspot compared to cooler and more rosy spill. This effect is very, very subtle, but with the beaded optics, you get an amazing tint that's cooler and more rosy overall. It's very nice.

Last edited:

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the review and comparison. They really did mess up by taking away the lighted switch.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Glenn, thanks for your thoughts on this light and the mention of lumen output.

Raven, it's really helpful to hear from someone like yourself that has such a history with this light. Is seems that the improvements probably outweigh any negatives but it's understandable why you mentioned those negatives. Getting away from a carrier can actually have some downsides that aren't easily apparent until you spend some time with the light.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no battery rattle in mine using Vinh's Murata VTC5D solder blob batteries.
The lanyard attachment is a little strange yes but I don't use lanyards anyway but on the V2 now has the right thread for tripod/clamp mounting which I like unlike V1 had some weird small thread that only fits the lanyard attachment.
To me button is fine as I don't really look for it as much as I go by feel as it sticks out and the light has only 4 sides being square, and because you push the button with your thumb, your pointer finger is on the opposite side to feel as well making it that there is only 2 ways the button can be - so if you miss the button when you pick it up just a quarter turn puts the button in the right position wether you use your pointer finger or thumb to activate it (if you can get your mind around using ether finger) I find the button quicker to find than the D18 (which isn't lit ether) just seem to turn and turn in the dark to find it - rot V1 button takes longer to find as it's harder to feel it being flush.

Patriot

Flashaholic
To me button is fine as I don't really look for it as much as I go by feel as it sticks out and the light has only 4 sides being square, and because you push the button with your thumb, your pointer finger is on the opposite side to feel as well making it that there is only 2 ways the button can be - so if you miss the button when you pick it up just a quarter turn puts the button in the right position wether you use your pointer finger or thumb to activate it (if you can get your mind around using ether finger) I find the button quicker to find than the D18 (which isn't lit ether) just seem to turn and turn in the dark to find it

This makes perfect sense and I can also relate to the turning and turning of the D18 in the dark... haha.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just chiming back in that I've decided I greatly prefer the grippier battery tube of the v2 compared to v1. Very much reminds me of an mk2 grenade.

And yes, the side button is very easy to locate.

I will try some samsung 30q to see if they fit more snugly with no rattle.

Razer

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a good flashlight to use on my evening walks with my dog. Need one that has easy thumb access to the power button, and fits well in hand. This looks like it checks those boxes or is there something else you would recommend?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a good flashlight to use on my evening walks with my dog. Need one that has easy thumb access to the power button, and fits well in hand. This looks like it checks those boxes or is there something else you would recommend?

There are better pop cans but cant beat this one for the money. If u want gen 1 I have a couple for $55.

Last edited: