• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Fireflies ROT66vn V2 - Popcan Auxiliary

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to think of anything that does what the ROT66v2 does but better. There are different sodacan lights out there, but they do different things.

For my personal preferences I like the smaller, more compact form factor of the 3x18650 lights, so I would gravitate towards either ROT66v2 or D18 for nightwalking. D18 for higher potential output, higher sustainable output, and slightly wider head. ROT66v2 for the aux leds, 7075 aluminum, and stainless steel tailcap.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Vinh, Raven and Glenn, you're really making me want a Gen2 now. I wasn't a huge fan of the Gen1 and gave it to my Nephew. He loves it but it just didn't appeal to me. So far, there's nothing about the Gen2 that I don't like the idea of. I might have to order one of these.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Vinh, Raven and Glenn, you're really making me want a Gen2 now. I wasn't a huge fan of the Gen1 and gave it to my Nephew. He loves it but it just didn't appeal to me. So far, there's nothing about the Gen2 that I don't like the idea of. I might have to order one of these.

There is no better pop can for $135. And if there is you can return it haha :)

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

What about gen 1 didn't you like maybe I can help you decide if you'll like gen 2.

Patriot

Flashaholic
FF's did away with the carrier altogether but the world governments are keeping pictures of this fact, a very tight secret. I couldn't find a single picture of this light's battery compartment in any of the expected areas. Nothing from the manufacturer's website, BLF, BG, Youtube... nothing. It somehow feels magically impossible for this to be the case, especially because it's an update from the old.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a macro shot looking down from the top of the tube opening. Compared to gen1 rot66, gen 2 has much thicker walls where there would otherwise be air gaps from where the batteries don't fill. About a third of the way down from the top, the thick walls get even thicker and jut out, to hold the three batteries in place securely.

Being that it is a macro shot and taken with a very sharp lens, ignore most of the imperfections you see on the surface of the aluminum. You'd be hard-pressed to see those on reality. The only thing I could see in person was the slight rough edge on the top of the parts of the wall that stick way out. Has no effect on performance.

In other news, I solved most of my battery rattling issue by just sticking a piece of electrical tape to two of the three batteries, so it wasn't a height issue, rather a diameter issue. I had to do the same thing for my beloved Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI when I got it.

dNLu1GQ.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic
Raven, thanks for that. You've just made internet history on the ROT66 Gen2, being the first to post an interior picture. ...haha. The inside looks nice and it doesn't have any terrible flaws.

I saw that you had asked me what I didn't like about the Gen1. Although there were a few minor gripes, if I'm honest, it probably had more to do with my mindset at the time as much as anything else. I've been a fan of the 4 cell format for a really long time now and sometimes it's hard to see the advantages of different designs. A local flashaholic friend and I purchased our lights at the same time and I gave him first pick depending on light box readings. I wasn't very impressed with the output on either sample and mine had some ano issues... flakes/chips around the perimeter of the switch and a couple of less obvious places. A week or so later, my friend's light had two or three LEDs stop working. I don't even remember if it got resolved or if he modded it. In any case, I wasn't in love with it and my Nephew usually gets my nicer hand-me-downs for B-days, Christmas, graduation and such. He loves it, of course and told me how a read all about them on the forums. :)

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should consider myself lucky. Between all the different ROT66s and E07s I bought-- I think 9 in total now-- none I received had any flaws.

I do know Fireflies has had some bumps along the road as a starting company, and I have read plenty of stories about other people's Fireflies lemons, but I'm glad I'm not one of them. I would probably not be such a huge Fireflies fan if I did get a couple subpar lights.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Raven, I'm glad that you've had such of run of great products from FFs. I've also received four flawless FFs products, two of them from Vinh. I think they're a very good manufacturer and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of their products. A Gen2 version might be in my future but I've still got my eye on a FW3T ti/cu W2 that I've wanted for some time but I wanted to support the SLN project and so I placed it on the back burner. Also, I sure like that D4Svn V2 Super at the moment. So, the ROT66 will either be 2nd or 3rd if I get one.

Last edited:

SKV89

Enlightened
Fireflies normally send their lights to third party testing lab. However, with the ROT66v2, they just estimated 12 * 1,500 lumens. Fireflies said on the other forum that they will send it in for testing after Vinh's output measurements came out.

Of note, the W2 sourced by Fireflies is one flux bin higher than what is sold at L4P.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yes, I understand why some people are disappointed but I figured those lumen specs probably weren't deceptively advertised. More of an oversight it seems. I never, ever rely on a manufacturer's specs to be accurate, at least where flux and throw are concerned because when I do OTF measurements they're usually less. Although I don't yet own one, I'm quite happy about the actual output figures because it's a nice increase from the Gen1 light.

edit spelling

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
What matters is...

Turn On Performance: 9000L, 100kcd, 633m

Thats pretty killer for $135 (With Sky Lumen Warranty!!!)

We have been too spoil as of late that these numbers doesn't create a stir anymore...

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like how in Vinh's latest email he says he didn't like the ROT66 gen1 but likes the ROT66 gen2, although the gen1 got an R from him while gen2 didn't get an R.

I guess that's because when gen1 hit the market, it didn't have the D18 to contend with.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I like how in Vinh's latest email he says he didn't like the ROT66 gen1 but likes the ROT66 gen2, although the gen1 got an R from him while gen2 didn't get an R.

I guess that's because when gen1 hit the market, it didn't have the D18 to contend with.

U r right in with the R. I need to do a walk around and update the Rs. There is a pending release pop can light that will dominate interms of output vs $$$. Stil not D18vn special to me but it's a great companion with with rot66vn v2.