first post and looking at a surefire g2

TheBigAR

Newly Enlightened
hey guys
i started looking at new lights for work when i stumbled across this forum
i am a corrections officer and am looking for a good light for work and was wanting a surefire and the standard g2 looked pretty good for the price
i have a streamlight tl-2 issued from the army but it is on my clothing record and if i loose it or it breaks then i will have to pay for it.
thoughts on a standard surefire g2 for duty? would you still recommend it to me in this led light dominated world?
it can be had for around $40
thanks!

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF :)

... thoughts on a standard surefire g2 for duty? would you still recommend it to me in this led light dominated world?
No.

Super expensive on a lumen per dollar basis (65L ÷ $40 = 1.62 lumens/dollar). Short run time (aka battery eater). Bulb is guaranteed to fail at the very worst possible time, etc.

The hot ticket today for LEO-MIL-FF-EMT is the Surefire Fury. Cheap on a lumen/dollar basis (500L ÷ $110 = 4.55 lumens/dollar). Fifty percent longer runtime than the G2 while making almost ten times more light. LED will not burn out until your grandkids graduate college.

I do flashlight mods for quite a few professionals & the Fury is their #1 choice.

TheBigAR

Newly Enlightened
wow 500 lumens!
that is probably way more than is necessary for my application
it will mostly be used for cell searches and maybe a few tactical situations
mostly i was looking at surefire because i wanted a quality light and the price looked good to get into surefire

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED is the way to go, the latest Surefire G2X Pro & the P6X Pro are both dual output giving either 15 or 320 lumens.

The Surefire P2X Fury is also dual output at 15 & 500 lumens.

They all come on in low mode first but a quick double click/press of the tail switch puts them into high output mode.

The G2X will only operate on CR123 batteries and cannot be bored to take the larger rechargable 18650 battery.

The P6X and the Fury are both aluminium and can therefore be bored to accept the larger rechargable battery, you can bore it out yourself with sandpaper on a drill bit, or you can buy a Ronac body that is built for the purpose.

The run time with a 18650 is much longer than 2 x CR123's.

If you don't get through batteries very often then stick with the CR123's.

välineurheilija

Enlightened
LED is the way to go, the latest Surefire G2X Pro & the P6X Pro are both dual output giving either 15 or 320 lumens.

The Surefire P2X Fury is also dual output at 15 & 500 lumens.

They all come on in low mode first but a quick double click/press of the tail switch puts them into high output mode.

The G2X will only operate on CR123 batteries and cannot be bored to take the larger rechargable 18650 battery.

The P6X and the Fury are both aluminium and can therefore be bored to accept the larger rechargable battery, you can bore it out yourself with sandpaper on a drill bit, or you can buy a Ronac body that is built for the purpose.

The run time with a 18650 is much longer than 2 x CR123's.

If you don't get through batteries very often then stick with the CR123's.
I use Eagletac 17650 and Keepower(Sanyo cell)16650 in my G2X pro :)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
wow 500 lumens ... probably way more than is necessary for my application
it will mostly be used for cell searches and maybe a few tactical situations ...
The consensus today among LEO's is that 500L gives enough throw & enough spill for excellent situational awareness. Some LEO's were concerned early on that the Fury was "too bright" but I never hear that anymore from people who use them every day.

... the latest Surefire G2X Pro & the P6X Pro are both dual output giving either 15 or 320 lumens.
Those are excellent lights & the price is less than a Fury - $66.50 & $80.50 on Amazon.

If you have no interest in the low mode & still want the clicky tail cap there's one option, the P2X Fury Tactical Single-Output (EAG Model). $120 & available only from Bravo Company, this is a popular LEO choice.

TheBigAR

Newly Enlightened
The consensus today among LEO's is that 500L gives enough throw & enough spill for excellent situational awareness. Some LEO's were concerned early on that the Fury was "too bright" but I never hear that anymore from people who use them every day.

Those are excellent lights & the price is less than a Fury - $66.50 & $80.50 on Amazon.

If you have no interest in the low mode & still want the clicky tail cap there's one option, the P2X Fury Tactical Single-Output (EAG Model). $120 & available only from Bravo Company, this is a popular LEO choice.

Hmm maybe the dual output would be good for me
I will start looking for a dual output fury!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm maybe the dual output would be good for me
I will start looking for a dual output fury!

You may also wish to consider the Malkoff Devices MD2, which is in the same price range as the P6X.

I recently bought the MD2 with the High/Low switch and the M361N drop in, this set up will need the 18650 battery, but it gives 6 different light outputs and the maximum isn't far off the Fury's output in my opinion. Taking advantage of the current Malkoff sale it was about $94 + postage. Very high quality and should last a lifetime :)

If you want to stick with CR123's there are other drop-in's in the Malkoff range that will happily run on those batteries.

TheVat26

Enlightened
Streamlight Pro Tac HL. Half the price of the Fury, a little brighter, near same runtime, but has a 33 lumen low versus Fury's 15.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The extra color from Incan may actually help with foreign objects location. The key lumen/dollars question is if you pay for your own batteries. There's less point in spending three times the price for more runtime if your helping someone else (particularly when it's the same someone making you not use the issue light for fear of damage).

kayne751

Newly Enlightened
I hope I'm posting in the right thread( I've been searching for hours for an answer to the following question), can someone pls tell me if it's possible to use a 17650( which I believe fits )in a g2x with the stock led? Would it put out the max rated lumens on 3.7v?
I know this is a very old thread but I was hoping ppl were still reading it.
Thanks a lot

välineurheilija

Enlightened
I hope I'm posting in the right thread( I've been searching for hours for an answer to the following question), can someone pls tell me if it's possible to use a 17650( which I believe fits )in a g2x with the stock led? Would it put out the max rated lumens on 3.7v?
Thanks a lot
I believe you will get full lumens with a 17650 at least i haven´t noticed any difference.
And yes most of them fit but there can be some batteries that will be very tight.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot
Yes, the 17650 should fit, but depending on individual cell variables, might not. Your better bet is a 16650. Guaranteed to fit, and usually has more capacity than a 17650. [More demand for the 16650, thus more R&D and improvements]. I use 16650s in my G2 and 6P with no problem whatsoever, and no rattle either.

The big question is whether or not the driver in the G2X will handle the 3.7v instead of the 6v of two CR123As. I don't have the answer to that one, since I run third-party drop-ins in my G2 and 6P. If you haven't already purchased a G2X, you might want to consider getting a G2 instead and going the third party route yourself. Malkoff Devices, Lumens Factory, and Mountain Electronics all have very good LED drop-ins that work well in a G2 with a 16650 cell.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the 17650 should fit, but depending on individual cell variables, might not. Your better bet is a 16650. Guaranteed to fit, and usually has more capacity than a 17650. [More demand for the 16650, thus more R&D and improvements]. I use 16650s in my G2 and 6P with no problem whatsoever, and no rattle either.

When I overhauled my 6P, I went with the Redilast 3 mode XM-L2 U2 drop-in and two of their 17670 (Sanyo 4.3v 2100mAh 16650) with protection circuits added--hence the bigger size measurements and they fit my unbored 6P perfectly.

Sanyo now has a 2500mAh 4.3v cell for a bit more capacity, if somebody's trying not to have their bodies bored out.

Chris

kayne751

Newly Enlightened
I think I might get s G2 with a drop-in and 16650 as u all have suggested. Thanks for all the info guys,really appreciate it! What do u guys think of solarforce drop ins? I've gathered malkoff for ex is better built but also pricier.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a dozen or so Solar Force drop ins. I have not had a single issue with them. As long as you buy the genuine article. Watch out for Ebay fakes. I only buy straight from SF website. You can get a whole light for $30. The quality & value is excellent. I have several L2D & L2P models. I buy the hosts, and then get the drop in I want.

Also get a high quality protected cell from Mtn Electronics.

Malkoff is one of the best. If you don't need the best, then SF will do. I would suggest looking for a Warm color out put led, and longer run time. Something around 240 Lumen max. I would probably do a Single Mode too.

kayne751

Newly Enlightened
I have a dozen or so Solar Force drop ins. I have not had a single issue with them. As long as you buy the genuine article. Watch out for Ebay fakes. I only buy straight from SF website. You can get a whole light for $30. The quality & value is excellent. I have several L2D & L2P models. I buy the hosts, and then get the drop in I want.

Also get a high quality protected cell from Mtn Electronics.

Malkoff is one of the best. If you don't need the best, then SF will do. I would suggest looking for a Warm color out put led, and longer run time. Something around 240 Lumen max. I would probably do a Single Mode too.

I have ten brand new olight protected 16340 cells so I wouldn't mind getting another single cr123 light too from solarforce. I'm a big fan of small lights that look like the Fenix pd22ue,lumapower incendio v3x,I(I have these 2). I think the surefire e1b and e1d look great too.