First Surefire, first post!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kestrel has a good suggestion. You could also get a 3.7v incan lamp from Lumens Factory and buy a couple of 17670 rechargeable batteries if you don't want to burn through two primaries every 60 minutes. If you need the ability to switch to primary cells, keep a Surefire SC1 spares carrier close by with a P60 and 6 CR123 primaries...

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't use rechargeable batteries with the P90?

You can. The P90 will run on two lithium ion rechargeables. If you have a 6P body, you will need two RCR123 batteries. The runtime will be short in that setup b/c RCR123s do not have a lot of capacity.

If you buy an extender, or have a 9P body to replace your 6P body, then you can run two 17500 lithium ion batteries for longer runtime.

Personally, I think the best option for you is the Lumens Factory HO-4. $12.99, runs on one rechargeable (a 17670 would fit perfectly in your 6P with no modification), and you get 150 bulb lumens for approx 45 minutes.

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
You can. The P90 will run on two lithium ion rechargeables. If you have a 6P body, you will need two RCR123 batteries. The runtime will be short in that setup b/c RCR123s do not have a lot of capacity.

If you buy an extender, or have a 9P body to replace your 6P body, then you can run two 17500 lithium ion batteries for longer runtime.

Personally, I think the best option for you is the Lumens Factory HO-4. $12.99, runs on one rechargeable (a 17670 would fit perfectly in your 6P with no modification), and you get 150 bulb lumens for approx 45 minutes.

Oh candlepowerforums... I post up saying "hey! I like my stock p60 lamp better than this modded multi-mode super-cri LED" and you guys come back with "well, if you like that stock incan bulb, you can mod it this way, this way and this way!"

I think I've found "home" on the internet.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, yeah, I guess most of us around here are so used to having 3 different ways to skin the same cat, we over think and over complicate it most of the time!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The thing is that although there are many viable combinations of components, the orphan is the "6 volt" (actually corresponding to ~5 volts under load) P60 LA - the only way to run it with rechargeables is with 4xAA NiMH in series which is extraordinarily impractical.

Luckily the incan folks have two excellent LiIon options:
  • 3.7v LA's which have been custom-built for a single (large) LiIon rechargeable cell per cland72 above
  • "9 volt" LA's like the still-popular SureFire P90 LA. It is a very very happy coincidence that 3x CR123 primaries deliver 3 x 2.5v = ~7.5v (under load), while two LiIon rechargeables deliver 2 x 3.7v = ~7.4v (under load) with a modest bonus of a flatter discharge curve.

All this is under the assumption that you will decide to go with a rechargeable setup. If you want a brighter (& thirstier) incan option than the P60 LA can provide, unless you want a light that is considerably larger than a 6P, rechargeables start to become almost mandatory to keep things affordable in the long run.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
out of curiosity, would the P91 run on two rechargeable li-ions?

Yes, but bulb life is reduced. The P91 causes greater voltage sag when using primaries than the P90, and as a result is over driven with two li-ions. So, you get a brighter output from the P91, but you risk burning it out early.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Well, I recieved my Nailbender High Cri XML2 today. I dropped it in, turned it on for all of one minute and... nope. I MUCH prefer the stock P60 lamp. It has a more pleasing tint, and I have had no issues with the throw or spill. Yes, the XML2 is noticeably brighter, but meh. Not enough to warrant the switch.

So, it's for sale in the b/s/t sub-forums if anyone is interested. I may try the Nichia next...

As an Incan lover I try to get LEDs that look Incan and for me the XPG works better than the XML.
I've only had one XML and just am not in love with it. Although to me the XPG2 tint is not as good as the XPG.

Ive had two nail bender XPG2 lights and one of them lives in my 6P that I carry everyday.

Also wanted to throw in that the P60 doesn't have anything on the MN03!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but bulb life is reduced. The P91 causes greater voltage sag when using primaries than the P90, and as a result is over driven with two li-ions. So, you get a brighter output from the P91, but you risk burning it out early.

ah okay, thanks!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
C'mon folks it's not that simple. :(

First thing, the current draw from a P91 is well in excess of 2C from many 2xLiIon setups (depending on their capacity) - so at a minimum you'll get greatly-reduced cell lifetimes from using LiIon rechargeables in this application.

Furthermore, in this situation you'll either be operating the cells unsafely or their internal protection circuits will trigger on the excessive current draws, shutting down the light.

The common solution to this problem is to use IMR cells (rather than LiIon i.e. Lithium-Cobalt), which permit considerably higher discharge currents.

The problem with this solution is that 2xIMR18650 (which are one of the few IMR configurations that provide a useful degree of runtime in high drain configurations) will often 'instaflash' the (rather expensive) P91 LA due to the reduced voltage sag of these large IMR's.

Which takes us back to my original suggestion of 2xIMR18350 in a bored 6P - but IMO runtimes will be short to the point of near-uselessness with the higher-current P91 LA.
2xIMR16340's will be even worse in this respect.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's simple enough to say "don't use li-ions with the P91". :D

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using pair of AW's protected 18500 or 18650 is ideal set up for P91 (of course for flashaholics who like to overdrive)
Current draw will be less than 2C but will overdrive the bulb nicely.
Since the voltage drop of similar size IMRs will be less than protected cells, it will be too hard for mentioned bulb and increase chance of instaflash.
So I don't see any benefit using IMR. Protected 18500 & 18650 cells are more friendly to bulb, safe for batteries, won't let you over discharge, run time will be longer and recharging will be less frequent.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few things, 1st you'll find it's the quality of light, not the quantity that we prefer about incans. A 200 lumen LED with a blue tint will not provide nearly the quality of light of an incan operating at 100 lumens. And lumens ratings are highly subjective unless you are using a calibrated integrating sphere. I really can't recommend LED lights for aircraft inspections, because they don't quite provide the 3 dimensional view that an incan provides. They give a flatter 2D output and this tends to make you miss minor details. I will say the newer LED's, especially the HCRI ones are much better in this respect, but still not in the same league as a good xenon-halogen incan.

The reason red LED's are recommended is to protect your night vision. Red light will not destroy your night vision nearly as quickly as green or blue LEDs. Red light is recommended for aviators, anyone doing night ops, and astronomers, basically anything you do at night and don't want to be blinded for a half hour every time you need a light. Last time I rode in a Blackhawk a little over a month ago I had my red A2 with me, but it was daytime. Just in case, you never know! LoL. I always have at least one light on me.

One other thing, I can't believe people are still recommending RCR's over IMR16340's to run incan or high powered LED lights. What is this, 2005? IMR's are way better in that size class.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually bought a P90 LA on eBay today just so I can try out some IMR 16340s or 18350s. You guys have me curious and itching to try it now

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened
Hi all! I've checked out CPF over the past few years, but never could bring myself to buy a "premium flashlight." Well, yesterday I finally did. I ordered a Surefire 6P classic from amazon. I'm excited to get it in and just wanted to say hi. I will have questions, and I already have a small plan to upgrade a few things here and there. Anyways... Hi!

Very nice- down the road if you want to upgrade to a different, and with much better runtimes, (but similar to incandescent light), buy a Malkoff M61LW drop in. It provides up to 125 lumens with 14hrs of good light runtime on 2 CR123's.

SoCalEngr

Newly Enlightened
Hi -

I'm new here, so I was wondering why you guys prefer Incandescent lamps to LEDs? I have a Surefire 6P but if I got a new Surefire, it would definitely be a G2X. Isn't the superior LED and 320 lumen output better? Just wondering.

Thanks.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the superior LED and 320 lumen output better?
LEDs have ultimate brightness, ultimate life time, ultimate battery saver and ultimate........
But I still prefer incandescent color warmness that you will never ever find in any high CRI LED

Another word, some people value and appreciate the quality rather than quantity.