SureFire E2D Executive Reflector

I recently picked up this to try out. I'm really enjoying the tint from the old bulb.

I knew about the blemishes on the reflector when I bought it, and they don't really affect the beam and usage. I was able to crack the bezel off the adhesive to further inspect the grey dots. I used a corner of a microfiber cloth to touch the outermost blemish, but it doesn't come off easily. It's similar to when I weld and slag touches and burns a surface.

IMG_2400.jpeg

Any idea what would cause this? A prior bulb blow out? Moisture ingress?

Also any options for reflector replacement or would the whole head need to be swapped?

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moisture corrodes the sprayed aluminum coating. Aluminum is usually covered with a thin layer of plastic, when water gets under the film, a similar picture begins. Or some kind of aggressive chemical or it was stored in a very damp place. I had this happen on an aluminum headphone membrane. It's better to leave it as is

Once I gave a reflector to restore the mirror surface, they completely ruined it - they polished it with a ball-shaped attachment on a Dremel, which ruined its shape, poured a thin layer of plastic on top and sprayed silver on top of it, and again a thin layer of transparent plastic on top of it, the beam turned out terrible in the end

Attachments

• IMG_3638_1000.jpg
    IMG_3638_1000.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 35
I have a feeling it was stored in a very damp place. The outside of the head had this residue in the crevices that looked like dried mildew. Thanks for the info!

I might modify the head once the bulb burns out. Any idea on how easily the reflector can be removed? I believe it is press-fit?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's usable, but not going to improve. Best off not touching it any further. E-series are my favorite lights, but once the reflector is ruined, you're best off just getting another head if it's really bad. You can't really fix it, only can make it worse. That's the nice thing about the C/P/Z/G series. When something like that happens you can just replace the lamp assembly.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling it was stored in a very damp place. The outside of the head had this residue in the crevices that looked like dried mildew. Thanks for the info!

I might modify the head once the bulb burns out. Any idea on how easily the reflector can be removed? I believe it is press-fit?
I think if you talk to those who make reflectors, they could suggest or help - spray a thin protective coating on top so that corrosion does not spread, but I don't think that this makes economic sense. Remembering how the U2 reflector is made, the reflector can be part of the head, that is, it is one piece
AVA SF U2 Ultra Bare Gray.png