First Timer Looking For Some Advice

Hath

Newly Enlightened
Recently, I've run out of "toys" to play with so I started looking for new things to buy. I came across this forum and it's kept me entertained for a while now reading information about flashlights and now knives.

I started purchased my first flashlight, Polystinger, last week. And now I have a LGI and ARC AAA LE on their way as well.

I came across this part of the forum and peeked in, and now I'm interested in knives as well. I have been reading various posts and searching around for more information as well, but I want to be absolutely informed before I make a purchase.

I'm looking for a knife, from the $30-90 range that is strong, good looking, and combo serrated. After looking around, I really like the Spyderco Endura, but is it strong? I know absolutely nothing about knives, so I don't know exactly what "strong" is. I read from some other posts someone saying not to get a blade that was AUS6. Tried my best to look up information on that and they said it wasn't as strong as others, but corrosion resistant. Can I use it as a screwdriver without messing it up? Any input will be much appreciated, thanks.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can't use any knife as a screwdriver, or chisel for that matter. it's designed for cutting only, anything else will chip or break the blade.

the spyderco's are decent knives for the money but not very smooth. you can't take them apart and clean them out and if the clip hangs on something it tends to give.

check out the benchmade griptilians, about $55-65. for a little more than your $90 limit you can get into a 710/705 or 730/735 for around $105-110. both are excellent knives and have the axis lock as does the griptilian.

handle some in person before you make a decision if you can. good luck.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, good advise by tkl, after using spyderco's for years I switched over to the Benchmade's with the Axis lock. I have a mini-griptillian with the sheepsfoot blade with the hole. I just bought a Benchmade 730 Aries. Knives are for cutting, buy yourself a decent multi-tool (leatherman, gerber, sog, buck etc.) for evrything else.

Hath

Newly Enlightened
When you're holding a Benchmade, does it exude quality and strength? I'm assuming it doesn't feel inferior since everyone always recommends it.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Hath:
When you're holding a Benchmade, does it exude quality and strength? I'm assuming it doesn't feel inferior since everyone always recommends it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yes it does, excellent fit and finish. after many years of service send it back to benchmade for a refurb. it'll be free or minimal charge and well worth it.

the griptilian may feel cheap cause of the plastic slabs but it is a solid knife, much better than the spydercos. it's a value model and they lower the price with the slabs and 420 blade steel.

go to a mall or gun show and handle a few so you don't buy sight unseen.

Hath

Newly Enlightened
Well, I looked around a lot more... I was going to go for a cheapy knife (columbia shasta or something like that) + spyderco endura, because I just liked how the endura looked. But now I think I'll go with the benchmade griptilian 551SBT. It's partially serrated and I like the finishing on the blade. I figured whatever the AXIS lock was, it should be useful too. It looks like it's much easier to open and close a benchmade. Is it?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
hath, check out the new od green handled griptilians.
icon14.gif

Hath

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I saw them, but I prefer the color black to olive. But that's the kind I want, just hope 3 inch blade is enough for whatever I may need it for.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
tkl,

The Griptillians have 440c blades, not 420. Cold Steel has started using 420 to save money, but thank God Benchmade hasn't.

Hath,

I have been using different versions of the Griptillians for about a year now and really like them a lot. I have settled on the BM555blu as my main EDC utility knife.

Hath

Newly Enlightened
How come the mini's retail for higher than the normal griptilians? Are they better in any way except for size?

Hath

Newly Enlightened
I prefer black, so the whole color thing isn't a bonus to me. Purple handles just don't appeal to me. I was searching around on blade forums, and they seem to have two sides there. One side prefers Spyderco (Endura, Delica) and the other prefers Benchmade Griptilian. Now I'm stuck pondering on this whole thing again, I wish I had enough money to play with just to get both. I think I'm going to go with Griptilian for now, and I'll get a Spyderco later. Is the Griptilian blade thin?