Flashlight etiquette

cjmorris

Enlightened
I think it's rude to shine bright lights in people's eyes. But I don't hold back lumens for anyone. Use what power you want, just save the face shots for suckers who shine your eyes first.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^^

+1

But personally, I would have quick shined everyone and pointed it in the air screaming " MINE IS BETTER THAN YOURS AHAHAHAHA! YOU LOOSE! LUMEN LOOSERS! LUMEN LOOSERS! "

And then randomly grab some kids goodie bag and run. But hey, thats just me. Don't judge.

( All done in a Will Ferrel kinda way. )

Last edited:

Taz80

Enlightened
As long as you share that goodie bag with the rest of us I'm good with it:devil:, but try to keep it all for yourself:whoopin:

fyrstormer

Banned
Lumen racing gets old after a couple years. Owning a superbly-made flashlight is more satisfying than owning a ridiculously bright flashlight, for the same reason why a Jaguar is enjoyable to drive even at the speed limit, but a Camaro isn't.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumen racing gets old after a couple years. Owning a superbly-made flashlight is more satisfying than owning a ridiculously bright flashlight, for the same reason why a Jaguar is enjoyable to drive even at the speed limit, but a Camaro isn't.

My comment was made in jest. Like Taz80. He's not really going to spank me with a stick if I don't share my make believe stolen candy.

Or will he?:sssh:

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Inspired now!

Selling some lesser used lights and going to invest in a niwalker vostro. Yet to consider which emitter but theyre both monsters! Ahhh the missus will be chuffed

Taz80

Enlightened
Since I can't afford a superbly made flashlight I'll stick with the ridiculously bright flashlights. Besides it will be easier to steal ForrestChump's make believe stolen candy after I blind him with massive lumen's.:twothumbs I really try not to light people up, but if they are silly enough to walk on the roads with no lights themselves its going to happen once in a while. There are alot of Skunks around and if your dog has ever gotten sprayed you'll understand why I'm careful, and like bright lights.

michael3

Newly Enlightened
I use my light all of the time and at night of course I would never intentionally shine it in someone's eyes, but pointing it at the ground right in front of you seems like it is fine. my little crelant mod only goes up to 1200 lumens but that is plenty to "show off" the brightness. and of course you wouldn't want to be a nuisance either with doing it too much. I think you did the right thing by being considerate of others but I don't think you would have been wrong to occasionally blast everybody else out of the water by pointing it right in front of you or off in the distance where there wasn't anyone.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I can't afford a superbly made flashlight I'll stick with the ridiculously bright flashlights. Besides it will be easier to steal ForrestChump's make believe stolen candy after I blind him with massive lumen's.:twothumbs I really try not to light people up, but if they are silly enough to walk on the roads with no lights themselves its going to happen once in a while. There are alot of Skunks around and if your dog has ever gotten sprayed you'll understand why I'm careful, and like bright lights.

FLASHLIGHT FIGHT!

:hahaha: :twak: :mecry: :whoopin: :touche: :twak: :poof: :grouphug: :buddies:

Last edited:

H-Man

Enlightened
I ride my bike with a T6 XML driven to 1.5A. I do end up lighting people up, but that is because I'll end up going quite fast and I run a single mode light.

fyrstormer

Banned
Actually I didn't see your comment before posting. I was just making a general observation based on past experience.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^^

Yeah, Its the infamous english to text, I get mixed up all the time missing posts...

I agree on the lumen racing, it used to be hard going to a dimmer light after coming from something like a Fury, but I acclimated quickly. I really disliked the E1DL on paper, but as soon as I had one in hand, sold the rest of my lights and bought 2 of them.

Thanks on the flashlight fight, I think its pretty funny but you and I might be the only ones....

- So to the topic, lights and eyeballs are a no no (unless the have it coming). I think everyone is in agreement on that one. :poke:

Taz80

Enlightened
I LOL'ed over the flashlight fight, very funny. I agree, we should probably refrain form blinding to many people out of common courtesy if nothing else. Or else someone may decide to put lumen limits on our lights.:shakehead

H-Man

Enlightened
I LOL'ed over the flashlight fight, very funny. I agree, we should probably refrain form blinding to many people out of common courtesy if nothing else. Or else someone may decide to put lumen limits on our lights.:shakehead

We would find a loophole large enough to drive a semi truck with a WWII carbon arc searchlight on the trailer.
Case in point: There is a law locally that you can't use an electric or gasoline leaf blower within city limits, but there is no rule against diesel fueled leaf blowers. Guess who knows someone with a spare small diesel engine and a leaf blower that has a dead engine?

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Regards my OP. Was back in ambleside tonight walking through the same park. Stopped and switched off the tk60 for a moment and what a stunning place to be! In the pitch black the stars were incredible. Appreciated it for a moment then broke out the lumens again. Would have been bit miffed if somebody else interupted the "moment" though.

Alex W

Newly Enlightened
We need black moments to appreciate its beauty but also need brightness to drive out fear.

Illum

Flashaholic
Generally I don't "light people up" unless lit up. It did manage the discourage a bratty kid from pointing his maglight at my face during Halloween. Apparently was having fun with another kid pointing lights at each other before proceeding to annoy other people on the sidewalk. Clicked on the 3-up XPG and it only took about a minute or two to get the point across for the duration of the night. It was only 1000 lumens, maybe its perspective loss but I thought it was quite dim.

Generally speaking, I refrain from using lights in public. At most I use a Streamlight microstream. When no ones around or its mostly friends or family, then I pull out the heavy stuff

Last edited:

silvercookie

Newly Enlightened
I usually walk my dog through my local park during the late hours (10pm-2am) so there really isnt anyone else around to bother.
Every once in a while someone will ride through on a bicycle with one of thse dual cree headlights or the police will cruise through with their spotlights on.

One night i accidentally strobed a cop car and he stopped and was amazed at how bright my little ebay "tactical" light was.

I generally don't go out of my way to light people up.