Flashlight Explosion

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to get the flu shot yearly myself and the last 4 times I did resulted in me getting the flu pretty bad. I choose not to do so anymore.

As someone who was affected with a breathing condition from Dec-roughly June, and flared up again as of two weeks ago, it's a terrible feeling to have not thinking breathing relief will ever come back again. How many times a day do we breathe in. Now imagine each one of those a struggle as you work to take air in and get it deep. Getting winded or out of breath moving only a few feet in distance or doing what was once a simple task. I hope and continue that you continue to heal JNieporte and get close enough, if not back to full recovery.

jet757f

Newly Enlightened
This is really a major concern that a flashlight would do this because of the batteries being used. The average consumer would not know anything about this!!
I have charged batteries and felt them get warm many times without being concerned.
I was thinking of buying one of these flashlights with the 123 batteries but now after reading this there is no way. It is not worth the risk in just using a flashlight.
I guess from what I am reading a single 123 would not have the same risk.

Xacto

Enlightened
This is really a major concern that a flashlight would do this because of the batteries being used. [...]
I was thinking of buying one of these flashlights with the 123 batteries but now after reading this there is no way. It is not worth the risk in just using a flashlight.
I do understand your concern and was shocked too after reading this thread. But I calmed myself (and still do) thinking about the many 2xCR123 and 3xCR123 flashlights being used everyday by average consumers AND flashaholics without any incidents.

Cheers
Thorsten

jet757f

Newly Enlightened
I do understand your concern and was shocked too after reading this thread. But I calmed myself (and still do) thinking about the many 2xCR123 and 3xCR123 flashlights being used everyday by average consumers AND flashaholics without any incidents.

Cheers
Thorsten

I realize that the chances are slim. But it is not worth even the smallest chance with a flashlight when there are so many other options. The lithium battery has proven to be a very upredictable battery.
FedEx and UPS have lost and had aircraft catch on fire just shipping lithium batteries.
Don't get me wrong. I do use lithium batteries in work tools and garden tools but they are not in a contained metal tube like a flashlight.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Hi JNieporte,

i only just noticed your reply. I'm glad you're doing better. I have asthma which can be very serious during the flu season. The flu shots often make me sick too but it's better than getting the actual flu.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
It takes about 2 weeks for the flu shots to take effect. If you are unlucky enough to get the flu right after getting the shot it won't protect you.

Shortly after getting a flu shot two years ago, I got the flu the very next week. Apparently it's harder to "kill" a flu strain than it appears.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I have asthma which normally doesn't bother me much but during the flu season just a run of the mill flu can cause my lung capacity to go down to 20% of normal.

Did they ever figure out the problem?

I used to get the flu shot yearly myself and the last 4 times I did resulted in me getting the flu pretty bad. I choose not to do so anymore.

As someone who was affected with a breathing condition from Dec-roughly June, and flared up again as of two weeks ago, it's a terrible feeling to have not thinking breathing relief will ever come back again. How many times a day do we breathe in. Now imagine each one of those a struggle as you work to take air in and get it deep. Getting winded or out of breath moving only a few feet in distance or doing what was once a simple task. I hope and continue that you continue to heal JNieporte and get close enough, if not back to full recovery.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
That does happen. My experience over almost 20 years is that the flu shots are about 85% accurate. But I'm sure there are official figures on that.

Well, that's the other thing.... What's the point if someone guessed wrong about which flu was showing up that year?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you have no permanent health issues because of this. Maybe go with single cell 123 lights to eliminate the back charge risk. When I read of these explosions, it's always with 123 2-cell lights. The risks are high.

Jeeezus. Fenix 18650 lights with the ability to use cells of varying voltage just got a whole lot more appealing. I think I'm going to keep some cr123s as long term backup, but not use them at all (I only do right now in my SF G2X pro).

Some of these lights happily will take 6-8 cr123s. Seems like a poisonous death trap waiting to happen.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If an 18650 went boom what gasses would be released compared to what happened to OP of this thread with cr123s? Similar thing? Completely different?

I'm going to have to spend a lot more time in the battery threads of CPF.

Norman

Newly Enlightened
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

Can I get seasonal flu even though I got a flu vaccine this year?

Yes. There is still a possibility you could get the flu even if you got vaccinated. The ability of flu vaccine to protect a person depends on various factors, including the age and health status of the person being vaccinated, and also the similarity or "match" between the viruses used to make the vaccine and those circulating in the community. If the viruses in the vaccine and the influenza viruses circulating in the community are closely matched, vaccine effectiveness is higher. If they are not closely matched, vaccine effectiveness can be reduced.

[...]
Can the flu vaccine give me the flu?

No, a flu vaccine cannot cause flu illness. Flu vaccines that are administered with a needle are currently made in two ways: the vaccine is made either with a) flu vaccine viruses that have been 'inactivated' and are therefore not infectious, or b) with no flu vaccine viruses at all (which is the case for recombinant influenza vaccine).
[...]

Can the vaccine provide protection even if the vaccine is not a "good" match?

Yes, antibodies made in response to vaccination with one flu virus can sometimes provide protection against different but related viruses. A less than optimal match may result in reduced vaccine effectiveness against the virus that is different from what is in the vaccine, but it can still provide some protection against influenza illness.

BringerOfLight

Newly Enlightened
If an 18650 went boom what gasses would be released compared to what happened to OP of this thread with cr123s? Similar thing? Completely different?

I'm going to have to spend a lot more time in the battery threads of CPF.

The HF is a problem with primary lithium cells. Rechargeable Li-Ion and Li-Po cells do not have this concern.
This is unfortunately wrong. Fluoride compounds are used in most Li-Ion / Li-Po cells and you get hydrogen fluoride as combustion product.

E.g.:
LG ICR18650D1 MSDS:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalciti.../Countries/us/ba_lgcli-ion3.0ah_us_eng_v2.pdf
Samsung ICR18650 MSDS:
http://support.radioshack.com/msds/msd25-2121b.pdf

martinaee: Hydrogen fluoride is the really nasty stuff, you should be worried about.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I just read through this, I am so sorry.

I had a little incident myself a few years back after a perfectly good Sanyo 123 was dropped and started leaking. I was dumb enough to breathe deep from the vent holes in the positive sides. Silverfox and others provided very good support.

The breathing difficulty came a few minutes later while sitting watching TV. Some here suggested my symptoms were psychosomatic and at the time I also considered if it was a panic attack. But then I realized it was all real as I wasnt even thinking about the incident when a very unusual breathing difficulty hit me. It was over quickly after a trip to the emergency room with no further issues thankfully.

STAY AWAY from lithium battery vapors, and if "rapid disassembly accompanied by flame" Aka explosion takes pace, just get the hell out.

xzel87

Enlightened
I just read through the entire thread. Very unfortunate incident to have happened to the OP. I suppose there is no such thing as 100 percent safe. Even with branded batteries proven reliable and safe over the years, they are not accident proof, and things that can go wrong will go wrong, the only difference is how high the chances are I suppose.

One thing I need to do after this is to get a DMM, since I'm planning to use 14500 and 10400 (although only as single cells).

To the OP, I hope you are doing well enough now, I can understand the medical expenses as being a single breadwinner for my family of a still studying wife and 11 month baby, medical bills can get really expensive, even more so for conditions you went/going through that require on-going treatment. All the best to you and your family.

Edit: I recall someone mentioning about ISO certification in products. Being the document controller for the ISO 9001:2008 (Documentation) for my company I can attest that 9001:2008 is only for the documentation of procedures. It is normally used for documenting of procedures and SOPs and adherence to said documents., and I doubt it relates much to actual quality of product (it can be used for quality improvement under the continuous improvement clause, but most companies, including mine, only go for the minimum in order to be certified). Long story short, like someone here also mentioned, being ISO certified doesn't guarantee quality.

Last edited:

NorCal707

Newly Enlightened
I'm another one who just stumbled upon this thread. The OP JNieporte hasn't posted to this thread or on the site since Fall 2014. I hope he is doing well and is just caught up in life or some new, safe hobby like Skydiving - just kidding about the latter ;).

As a owner of two Streamlight TRL-1S Weapon Lights that each utilize two CR123A cells, I am a bit concerned. More so because I have about 40 Panasonic CR123A's that I bought from a former Marine that just went past their expiration date in February of this year. I guess all I can do is check to be sure each battery's voltage to match them when replacing a pair. From what I've read, using RCR123's isn't a option with the TLR Series of lights?

My Brother also has a Inova T2 that uses two CR123's - I sent them a message asking if RCR123's can be used or not but haven't heard back.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If your CR123s are expired, I'd recommend disposing of them in the proper manner. I don't think I've read a single account of an explosion, vent with flame, or any other mishap occurring with expired CR123s in the decade I've been on CPF. Then again, a community full of enthusiasts means that such cells rarely if ever come even close to their 10-years shelf life just sitting around. Still, I think of lithium batteries as having a pet dragon around. They can be docile. Even dependable. But you never forget their ability to belch toxic flames under certain circumstances. No reason to take chances with expired cells.

ven

Flashaholic
I think of lithium batteries as having a pet dragon around. They can be docile. Even dependable. But you never forget their ability to belch toxic flames under certain circumstances. No reason to take chances with expired cells.

:faint:

He is just typing a reply to you now!

;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm sure he's thanking me for the gourmet meals you'll be buying for him from now on, to keep him happy. :thumbsup: