Flashlight for everyday home use. Streamlight Stinger 2020 or Fenix PD36R

disneybob

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at the Streamlight Stinger 2020 or the Fenix PD36R as my in home/around the yard light. I like the high power of each. I often need to shine a light in my backyard (up to a 100' distance and 60' wide) checking on my dogs. I also will often search up to 300' in my neighborhood. I normally don't use a light for over 10 minutes at a time.

Any suggestions on which one is generally better?

UFO

Newly Enlightened
Each light has qualities of their own, and either one is a good choice. I own both of those lights. The Fenix is smaller, lighter, and more compact. The Streamlight is much heavier and longer. It's going to come down to personal preference.

I do like the fact that Streamlight put a selector switch on the top of the light for Low-Med-High settings, making it much easier than the previous models, but that alone does not give the edge to the 2020.

For only "around-the-house" use, I'd give the edge to Fenix, but I'm also partial to Streamlight as I have used them almost exclusively for 27 years and have never experienced a single malfunction of any type at any time.

The only thing I don't like about the 2020 is that in order to insert the batteries, you have to put them in a small plastic carrier, which is included, but it does make things a little trickier than simply inserting an 18650 or 21700.

In the end though, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Heck, if you can, buy both of them.

Last edited:

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I prefer a light that can start up in a mode I want (or close to it) depending on the situation. For me, this would put the Stinger ahead. For my EDC lights, I put that lower on my priority (my EDC's usually are compromises in some characteristic to get a certain form factor and lumen power), but for my home lights it's higher on the list. I also don't mind the larger form factor home flashlight because I usually have a smalll backup (often whatever I am carrying).

My personal setup is a Protac HL-4 for general home emergency light and an HL5-X for outside identifcation light (including identifying overflowing gutters). Additionally, the larger light makes it easier to hold under my arm if I need both hands to work on something. The HL5-X has a defined hostspot, but it is wide, helping with checking a larger area at a distance.

One benefit to the Fenix would be the 30 lumen low which helps when trying to look at things you are holding (like finding the right key on the keyring, checking the mailbox, etc.) with night adjusted eyes. This is why I prefer my HL-4 to my HL-5 for an all around... the HL5-X is too bright for working on something at arm's length with night adjusted eyes.

I don't think either will work with flat top or wide button top batteries. I also don't think that they will work with CR123's.

Additionally, the SL has a charging stand that you can mount to a wall versus the Fenix's integrated USB type C port if you have a preference for one over the other. 18650 vs 21700 preference might also play into your decision.

If you don't mind not having a USB port and the strange head, the Acebeam L35 is a nice all-around outdoor light with a warmer tint than those listed, a wide hotspot with good throw, and spill that reaches down to your feet (for walking at night). The Klarus X21TX is also a nice all-around outdoor light with bright spill and good throw but has a slightly bluer tint and the spill stops a few feet in front of you so it won't illuminate things at your feet when you're walking pointing it further ahead... the mode/ML switch is a little too easy to actuate without the belt pouch it comes with, IMO.

I prefer lights with brighter spill, but that may work against you if it's often misty, smokey, rainy, or snowing when/where you tend to use your lights... or if it's a wooded/brushy area where you are trying to concentrate on distant objects.

Also, you might want to check continuous discharge current requirements for the batteries on the corresponding flashlight dependent on if you want to use other brands of batteries with the light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Can you tell me which one has the wider, stronger flood?

Thanks.
IF you read through this
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-Easy-to-Understand-Lumens-Vs-Lux-Explanation

and understand it, you can somewhat compare lights beam pattern.

The Streamlight Stinger 2020 and the Fenix PD36R have very similar numbers.
The streamlight throws a little farther, but does so by throwing a few more lumens at the target.
Their beam patterns will be very similar.

The difference between the two at 300 feet will not likely be discernable.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about the Fenix, but there are some beamshots and spill description of the Stinger in this YT vid:

Edit: Here's a vid that goes over beam profiles of the Fenix (towards the end):

Last edited:

disneybob

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about the Fenix, but there are some beamshots and spill description of the Stinger in this YT vid:

Edit: Here's a vid that goes over beam profiles of the Fenix (towards the end):

Thanks,
After seeing the videos, I decided on the Fenix. There wasn't a big difference between the two lights in the areas I needed most. Note that the price and the discount I got from Longhorn Tactical helps a bit also.