** Flashlight Recommendation Checklist **

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Location (Country) of person we are recommending the light to.

I have seen too many recommendations for Dorcy (available only in North America) or go to to Walmart/Target to newbies from outside the USA. If the country is listed up top it might remind everyone to recommend only internationally (or mail order) available lights.

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
Good idea LEDNinja, I've added a purchase region question! Thanks!

Also zspectre, we forgot the metal/plastic body question, so I added one of those as well!

How can get this made into a sticky? Is there a petition to pass around! :-D

- Thomas

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, Not much enthusiasm for the checklist? :)

Is it too cumbersome? Too long?

Does it seem useful? Should it be made a sticky? Is there a way to petition for a sticky?

I've already used it twice with folks that emailed me. I tell them not to worry about all the questions, to just answer the questions that they feel strongly about.

The essay question about use seems to be very telling, although both times the other questions revealed another improtant need, one a strong need for waterproofness, the other an abhorrence for anything other than AA, C and D alkaline batteries! Made the recommendations much easier!

- Thomas

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've referred a few people to the list already. Sometimes it just takes a while for people to start using a new tool.

I guess we should just :bump: it once in a while to keep it fresh on the listings.

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
Sounds good zspectre! Good to see it's getting some use!

"Bump"?
confused.gif
What do you mean?
laugh.gif

- Thomas

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bump is a post with nothing but that little "bump" guy put in. It's sole purpose is to bring the thread up in the "new posts" listing.

Jucius Maximus

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a recommendation

Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
Gift for someone who likes flashlights but possesses little real knowledge about what makes one light better than the other. This person is a techie and has a very deep respect for items that are well designed and constructed with high quality materials and build.

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
Canada, Ontario
Mail order is also possible but I prefer to mailorder from within Canada due to customs charges. I would order from other nations if absolutely necessary.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Max $45

2) Format:
LED Flashlight please

3) Length:
Pocket-carry and smaller

4) Width:
long/narrow is preferred

5) What batteries do you want to use?
Only common AA and AAA sizes are acceptable, rechargeable or not.

6) How much light do you want?
The more the better.

7) Throw vs Flood:
Something focusable is highly desirable, but if that's not available then I would do put the X right in the middle:

Throw (distance)----------------------X----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime
More is better, but hopefully 4-6h at least.

9) Durability:
Durability is extremely important. It is more a matter of 'knowing' and being able to 'tell' that the build quality is supreme, but it will not be used in 'extreme' situations. Please ignore the extremely neurotic nature of this request and just know that extremely sturdy build and clever design are very important here due to the nature of the person to receive this light.

Note: original post lists question 8 and 9 two times.

8) Switch Type:
Sliding or clickie
Clickie preferred

9) Switch Location:
All of these are acceptable:
I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
I want a rotating head switch.
I want a rotating end-cap switch.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
on/off is fine
multiple level is fine

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?
Metal. For sure.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
Ability to focus is very desirable.
Waterproof/resistant is a plus but not required.
Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish is very desirable.

Any comments about what I should get here? Thank you to all the experts who take the time to respond to this.

Last edited:

assassin337

Newly Enlightened
The list:wow:...SHE LIVES:huh:. ok on to your question. As I only have one flashlight and its the one Im going to recomend I dont feel fully qualified to answer your question but Ill try any way. The fenix L1P. Its 45 dollers, led, 4 hours runtime, 46 lumens, and runs on one AA, and it is extremly small.

oh and:bump:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have created a PDF of this checklist with fillable forms. Now my problem is where should this file go so people can access it?

Greenlead

Newly Enlightened
I've put this into PDF form, in case someone is interested.

It will need to be hosted somewhere, though.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greenlead said:
I've put this into PDF form, in case someone is interested.

It will need to be hosted somewhere, though.

I tried that earlier but nobody picked up on it. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who ever suggests using this list :whistle:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone figured out how to post it to the CPF Wiki? Since it's not a sticky yet maybe a place in our Light Encyclopedia would be good.

-LT

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, the checklist is now posted in the wiki under "other/Flashlight recommendation checklist".