Flashlight Technology 1984-1988

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I always had a thing for flashlights going back to young elementary school age. Nothing special about the lights in those years, but I can remember the silver bodied aluminum flashlights impressing me as a youth. Later got what I considered my first really good light in the mid 80's. a 4D Mag light. Thought it was the greatest flashlight in the world. Later carried a 4D Mag in vehicle, and kept a 3D Mag at home throughout the 90s until I found out about pocket sized Surefire, and a little later LED flashlights that made the Mag lights look pathetic in the mid 2000s. The pocket EDC replaced my Mag lights until recently when I purchased a few Thrunite TN4A for around the house and vehicle.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ what's old is new again.
This is a fun thread to watch.

It's kinda like Eric asking "remember when flashlights had character?" as the modern light gets brighter and brighter, yet seemingly only becoming more of the same ole thing.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Just fired up my Philips SBC 2002. I think that it is one of the very earliest halogen torches, dating from around 1987. When run, the beam looks like it is full of water - you can see the gasses swirling in the bulb envelope. It is still on its original bulb.

Complete light: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnc6nmznvs72xzi/DSC_0485.jpg?dl=0
With sliding cover open: https://www.dropbox.com/s/748ixdztgvifzin/DSC_0486.jpg?dl=0
Inside the rear: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jhmjr4f9rm2d49/DSC_0488.jpg?dl=0

It gives a decent beam, very white with a tight hotspot. The lanyard was factory fit.

ericjohn

Enlightened
Great topic!

Another light that was just before your 1984 time frame, is the LA Screw Products Inc "Smoke Cutter".

I bought mine in 1982, while in Paramedic school (I started in EMS in 1979, and Fire in 1980).

Having used just Mag lights prior to the Smoke Cutter, I was amazed how useful it was, for interior firefighting.

In 1984 I bought my first Mini-Mag, for EDC, on duty and off, what a GREAT light, at the time!

In 1985 I bought my SL-20 (with the slide switch, I have to tell you that I think that was the best one they made!)

I've posted before about my flashlight journey, as a Paramedic, Firefighter, Tactical Medic, Flight Paramedic, etc, and will see if I can find it and re-post it, if that might interest any of you.

Smoke Cutters are EXTREMELY RARE nowadays so hold on to yours if you still have it.

ericjohn

Enlightened
This is slightly off topic, but since everyone is talking about it.

The Sheriff's deputies in my Parish use Streamlight Xenon Stingers and have since at least 2006. I've seen them carried 2 AA Mini Maglite LED models as backups.

The State Troopers also use various Streamlight models. There is one who is a family friend of mine who uses a Streamlight Star Tac (I think he meant Super Tac, but I'm not sure.) The older State Troopers swore by the SL-20.

The Sheriff's Deputies and City Police southwest of me used Streamlight Twin Task models in the mid to late 2000s. They still might use them.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My guess is local government agencies put out bids for certain characteristics and Streamlight can fulfill them, and ends up selling a buncha lights at once every so often since they last so long. Same way those agencies procure uniforms, other gear and patrol cars.
And it's quite likely that the officers have to buy their own backups or simply choose to.
Piloto could probably give us the real skinny on all that.

I remember my dad had a D Mag because the local police reccomended, or perhaps gave him one way back in the early MagLite days.

The local yocals may have used SL 20's but my pop being my pop would not have paid what an SL 20 costed back then.

swampgator

Enlightened
Was there ever an SL-20 that could run on D batteries?

I've seen conflicting reports on whether it could or couldn't.
I've "heard" about people dropping in 3 or 4 D-cells (not sure how many would fit) in a pinch, but I've never tried it nor known anyone that has.
IIRC an SL-20 can fit five D cells. The bulb is quite dim.
I was given one years ago that someone did this to. Of course the batteries leaked and I could never get them out.
The head doesn't come off like a Mag so I couldn't save it.
It's still in my barn on my work bench to this day.

guthrie

Newly Enlightened
Multi-C and D cell maglites reached Scotland in the 1980's. I recall my dad using his police one (5 c cells) at scout camp circa 1989, and it was really impressive compared to the normal 2D cell poor torches made by Duracell or Ever Ready that were all that was really available. The maglite was of course used as more than a torch, but he didn't say much about that.

Edited to comment- the police in Scotland were still using hardwood batons at that time, 9 or 10 inches plus handle of very dense wood. IIRC side handled ones came along around then as well.

Last edited:

nitedrive

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, sounded like Mag was on a manhunt to crush the competitors. Typical Microsoft type BS. Incase Mag forgot, this country, you know the USA, is a democracy. The flag itself stands for freedom, so what does that tell you? Everybody has the right to create their own flashlight, and you cry wolf everytime when someone creates a light that looks simular to yours, don't expect people will actually believe you when someone really does in the future. :shakehead
Maglite's complaint against Brinkman was totally valid. I had one of the Brinkman "MiniMags". It was certainly close enough in industrial design to make someone believe they were buying the real thing. Brinkman was free to make what ever they wanted but not if it violated IP owned by Maglite. This wasn't a case of looked similar, it was all but identical.
3874542878_a6131c4253.jpg

nitedrive

Newly Enlightened
I am glad there are LEO on this forum, who are able to clarify stuff like that. I didn't think about the added weight on the duty belt. And unlike what Maglite would have you believe, sounds like your training recommended against using the light as a baton. And I totally understand what you mean about the physiological defence.

I have one of those baton style tazers, and just triggering the crackle sound from the arking beam, is enough to scare an assailant away from you. Hell its so loud it scares even me lol. And then when you think about these bright Cree based flashlights, if I put that sucker on strobe mode, that is enough to disorient someone enough to either run away or strike.

I am sure your police training taught you all about using bright light to help gain an advantage, well that and pepper spray lol. I also have a tiny can of pepper spray for self defence. I figure anything that will send the message to the bad guy to stay away from me, or to allow me to evade is the best solution.

I didn't know that about the sheer force of cracking someone over the head with aluminum could be so fatal, so I don't want to do that then, cause self defence should never mean to kill, it should always mean to block or evade, I am sure you would agree.

I think your cool man, wouldn't mind learning more from you :)

When did Maglite ever suggest using their product as a baton?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The 80's for the commonly-available consumer flashlight household I grew up in was all about the Rayovac Workhorse vs Duracell Durabeam..

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
You guys happen to remember the model # of the SL 20 with slide switch?
I want to add one to my museum type collection with some other Streamlights I acquired such as the TL2 shockproof and a gen 1 Strion.

This one!!! Just my Gen-1 patent still pending SL-20. I believe it was introduced in 1982 or 1983. It was advertised to be brighter than a car headlight. For its time, it was a total game changer.

This one's from 1985, but probably part of the original production run as it still says patent pending. Not the original bulb or battery, but still running strong. It will still out throw my 200 hcri HDS. Pretty impressive for being 31-33 years old. If I had to guess, that's older than probably half the people on this forum.

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old%20Flashlights.01_zpsg5vjzwcq.jpg.html
Old%20Flashlights.02_zpsee48yd2s.jpg.html
Old%20Flashlights.01_zpsg5vjzwcq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Old%20Flashlights.02_zpsee48yd2s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Some oldies but goodies! Well used, yet well loved!

Last edited:

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
Some oldies but goodies! Well used, yet well loved!

Very cool. I still like the older ones better. The length and balance was perfect. When they moved to the internal switch they increased the length by almost 2 inches. Still a great life, just like the older one better.

Here is my 25 year old Malkoff'd Version next to his completely stock father.

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
Do you know the model #?

Streamlight greatly oversimplified their model numbers. Their model numbers are simply the number following the SL designation.

First, there was the SL-15, SL-20, SL-35... It really is that simple. That was it.

The upgrade to the SL-20 was the SL-20x (internal clicky switch) introduced around 1989. Then was the SL-20p (plastic), then SL-20L (LED). No telling what's out there now as I lost track several years ago.

Simply put, a true SL-20 will be the original version slide switch. All of the newer versions will have a letter designation following the number, or will be called something completely different.