Flashlight / torch use by the public less common?

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I myself can never understand why everyone doesn't carry a light.you can get a good keychain light or edc light for 20 bucks or so. They are lifesavers and just as handy as a pocket knife. I won't go for milk without 3 on me

I won't take out the trash without as least as many! :D

Minimoog

Enlightened
Even the emergency services are going without lights - I called 999 for a collapsed woman at the back of the church, and when the ambulance arrived I said I'll leave you in charge, but they had no light and asked that I stay and aim my light on the patient so they could examine and administer treatment. Good job I always have a light on me. Same for a meeting with the police in out village hall. About 50 members of public, 5 policemen and the superintendent - and the lights went out. The MiniMag in candle mode allowed the meeting to be wrapped up and got everyone out in safety (this was 10 years ago, before lights in phones).

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to get teased because I always have a good quality (small but powerful) flashlight and a decent pocket-knife with me. In more recent times I also added a Gerber "Shard" tool which has been far more useful than expected.

Most of the same people don't tease me anymore because at one time or another they have -all- needed to use one of my EDC items.

However I do realize I'm still a sort of "safety net" for them and they STILL don't tend to carry items themselves. Though to be fair, I constantly forget my albuterol inhaler and my wife has to back-me up on that LOL.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
In retrospect there is a good thing about the flashlight apps on smart phones... many people who never carried a light at all at least now have one light to use. It is too bad most never look for a better light to carry.

As for a "go to" person for lights, most folks in my profession that I work with have tool lights that are pretty good to use but few have decent headlamps. They spend a lot on higher end tools like Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, etc then they skimp on a useful light when they spend $50 and up for a tool flashlight. The same people sometimes have phones costing hundreds of dollars then buy a $25 3AAA headlamp and complain about having to replace batteries often.

I guess you could say the two reasons there are more people that do and don't have lights are the competing reasons that light technology has greatly improved but when people found the flashlight app on their phones it was "good enough" for them to procrastinate on buying a decent light to use.

The sad thing is years ago in the days of the early LEDs when luxeon 1 flashlights cost a lot and had mediocre output and runtime such that cost over $20 and used 3AAAs and max output was maybe 40-60 lumens. Now we have $10 lights that use 2AAs and put out around 300 lumens often with lower modes. Why more people don't have and use these lights is... of course the flashlight phones.

I'm awaiting the invention of a headlamp attachment for a smart phone to clip a phone backwards on your head to use to work on stuff.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasn't there a scare years ago about Microwave Radiation from Mobiles?
I don't fancy that strapped to my head for a couple of hours.
P

Last edited:

Sos24

Enlightened
They don't carry a flashlight for the same reason many don't wear a watch, their phone can do it. That couple with, if in town or city, the normal level of light in the surroundings make it seem unnecessary. Most people aren't thinking "what ifs" just what do I need during normal day-to-day.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
My wife won't go outside after dark without her TN4A, and I can't convince her that she doesn't need to keep it on high all the time. I carry a little Lumintop EDC05 when out and about. It's about the size of my thumb. I learned a long time ago, the importance of having a flashlight with me at all times (because sometimes things will surprise you, when you are least suspecting). I would never want to use up my phone battery on a flashlight app, when I might need a phone.

Last edited:

Tworch

Newly Enlightened
Funnily enough I was wondering this too tonight, as I do most nights this time of year. When I'm out walking the dog in the dark it amazes me how people are wobbling about in the dark. I'm walking through tree lined areas next to a stream and it gets pretty dark in places (other areas get some light from nearby street lamps) and I pass many people on my route and I'd say out of ten people, one will have a torch, 2 will be using their phone and the rest are in complete darkness.

I was out tonight with my Olight R50 and was literally shaking my head as some woman with her dog was slipping about (raining) up a wet & muddy incline that led to the park with no light.

I have to confess if someone has a half decent LED light (you know, about $5 of blue hued wonder) I've been known to slip mine up to turbo (if they're walking in front with their back to me obviously)

The other benefit of having a decent light with you is self defence, blast turbo mode at someone and they won't know what hit them giving you valuable time to get away. Some people sleep with a bat at the side of their bed, I sleep with a V10R wound ready on max!

Dont even get me started on kids on bikes with no lights! Of coarse the lads remove their reflectors too. I think it should be law to have bike lights, even if they're just marker lights just to warn others.

PartyPete

Enlightened
To an extent I think it's more or less a niche hobby. Sure, there's always a market for outdoor enthusiasts, but I'd bet many are still faithful to brick and mortar type brands and likely that may have carried on into this age of online shopping. Sadly a lot of these folks will never see the light, so to speak and break away from Petzl and mainstream brands like that.

Also, many kids in this day and age simply are spending less time outside and are more mesmerized by Internet, Xbox, tablets etc. It's unfortunate but there's quite a lot of "tech distractions" and simple outdoor activities are becoming less common.

Now, this is purely my opinion but people now seem a lot more nosy and paranoid now. Years ago, someone walking down the street with a flashlight would be seen as just taking a leisurely stroll. But now, many would assume it's someone up to no good and the police should be called. We live in a different time now, for sure.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
This single AA flashlight is in my pocket anytime I leave the house, and very often even when not leaving the house.
02792020807973eef5c51b930de1b49a.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Yesterday,I saw one of my coworkers trying to use his smartphone as a light.

So awkward to see.

My phone makes it easy to use it as a light but it is floody and holding it to use as a light isn't as easy as using a flashlight. I'm guessing the output is between 150 and 250 lumens vs a flashlight that can be bought to run at 1 lumen to 500-1000+ lumens.
If a flashaholic were to get into designing smart phones they would have dual LEDs one with an optic to throw one to flood and variable output built into the phone controllable by an app.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mostly rely on my night adapted vision but always carry a low/high output light for use as the requirements change... each to their own.

Hotherps1

Newly Enlightened
I never leave the house without at least 1 flashlight (Zebralight SC80), Pocket knife, one of my Hinderer Extreme Duty Pens and one of my Sinn Watches on my left wrist and a AppleWatch on my right wrist. More often than not I have a second torch and a Leatherman too.
I use my torches daily for checking cages / hide-boxes at work housing Mambas, Cobras etc.
Outside of work I use them for checking barrels & actions at the range (I'm a NRA RCO).
The gear that I have on my belt and in my combat pockets normally weighs about 5-6 lbs.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Driving home this evening, I nearly collided with two young women who were jogging without a light or even any reflective clothing. Scarcely a mile down the road, there was a wreck involving three vehicles, where a fellow was gesticulating wildly in the dark, attempting to alert on-coming traffic to the pile up. Again, no flashlight.

I think I understand why most people don't "edc" a flashlight, but I counsel my friends and family to at least have a light in their vehicle and to have one in hand when walking after dark.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I too nearly collided with people on a few occasions at night that crossed the street wearing all black clothing not paying attention they could have used a flashlight or light colored or reflective clothing to be better seen. I've also almost hit someone on a bike wearing black at night with no reflector or lights on either. A cheap $1 flashlight could save someone's life walking alone at night.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I so agree with you. the trouble with me is that I think that if i give somemone a $1 torch and it fails on them, I'd feel responsible for any bad outcome. So I end up giving out more reliable ones less often. Doesn't really make sense, but then I rarely do.
P

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I so agree with you. the trouble with me is that I think that if i give somemone a $1 torch and it fails on them, I'd feel responsible for any bad outcome. So I end up giving out more reliable ones less often. Doesn't really make sense, but then I rarely do.
P

I didn't propose giving someone a $1 light, I'm just making a point that there is no good excuse not to have a flashlight on you when walking after dark for safety reasons when you can buy a "useable" flashlight for dirt cheap. Essentially if the cost of saving your life is as cheap as $1 then it is a bit stupid to not invest that much (hopefully a decent amount more) on a carry light.
I often walk after dark and have a dark colored coat but I do carry a cheap 18650 chinese clone LED light that puts out more than enough light for me to noticed. It also has the advantage of preventing me from stumbling on rough surfaces too.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED's today are so powerful and efficient that cellphone makers are installing very capable ones in most cellphone models. So in a sense, "everybody" has a flashlight. But of course, they're quite limited. And that makes those of us who carry a dedicated flashlight stand out a bit more. When I pull out something like a very simple Olight i3cu EOS, I often get "wow, that's bright!" exclamations. Even more so with an Olight S1. And these are of course considered somewhat entry-level lights by the flashlight community. I hardly ever see anyone carrying a dedicated flashlight. Sometimes a mini-mag. A guy I know who is a mover has several LED lights but mostly Dorcy, something easily picked up at Home Depot. When I showed him a Zebralight SC52w I was carrying he was impressed by the design of it, but when I mentioned tint of the Nichia emitter, his eyes glazed over.

Latest posts