Flashlights in TV shows and movies (Part 4)

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
On Pickers I always try to see what lights they are using. they definitely have upgraded over the years. but nothing beyond some green or blue tinted walmart type thing or a mini mag which I assume would be the led version? you can tell they aren't flashaholics in the least which surprises me cause I would think (if I was doing that work) that a light is a very crucial much used tool and having the brightest and best CRI would be of value. . but they just use whatever is handed to them which is typical

drdivots

Newly Enlightened
While watching the FUBAR episode of Six (on the History Channel) "Bear" gives a small red light to the Chechen boy. Does anyone know what light that was?

drdivots

Newly Enlightened
While watching the FUBAR episode of Six (on the History Channel) "Bear" gives a small red light to the Chechen boy. Does anyone know what light that was?
It is actually Armin that gives it to the boy. It is triangular and flexible. It can be seen at the 23 minute mark.

Torchbeast

Newly Enlightened
In the movie prometheus there is a scene where I saw the character played by Michael Fassbender holding a nitecore tm26.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Series - UK Border Force

Episode - 8 (Season 1)

UK immigration officers at the Port of Calais use D-cell Maglites to inspect the interior of cargo trucks for stowaways trying to get into the nation illegally. The models seem to be 4D cells putting out a good amount of white light. Most likely modified with aftermarket or perhaps Maglite LED lamps as the bodies themselves look to be stock inca. models.

One officer was using a smaller hand-held light. Cheap, generic, Made in China LED model to inspect another truck where they found a couple of stowaways.

Last edited:

cp2315

Enlightened
Just want to recommend a movie with lots of flashlight scenes. The movie is not the best but ok to watch.
Guardians of the Tomb (2018)

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched an episode of Project Blue Book (s01E05 about 2 minute in) and Cops/Security guards were chasing a guy that climbed a transmission tower.

One of the cops pulled out a flashlight and illuminated the tower, the series is set in the 1950's, so I laughed when I saw how much light the period flashlight illuminated the tower!

Of course I had to go back frame by frame to try to ID the light being used!

33439692768_4c755d9c67_c.jpg

46400507945_c22732b9eb_c.jpg

When the Cop switched on the flashlight he appeared to press a head switch as opposed to a tail switch, I could be completely wrong, and there are a great many folk on here with far more flashlight knowledge than me, but to me it looks like a Surefire M3LT Combatlight that was used.

46592291064_028d9b3f2f_c.jpg

Is there anything else that it could be?

raindrop78

Newly Enlightened
5000 lumen is very bright. I first watched this movie when I was in high school and it brings back so many good memories.

PartyPete

Enlightened
How about a video game? Until Dawn is a "choose your own adventure" style game (similar to Telltale's Walking Dead games). It's a horror/thriller that's a few years old but a friend introduced me to it.

Very prominent use of flashlights, lanterns, headlamps, phone lights etc throughout the game. Excellent graphics and lighting/shadows are rendered very well.

Kind of a mix of the Saw movies with some Resident Evil, Cabin in the Woods and the Descent in there as well. The story was decent but the graphics and lighting definitely impressed me.

I wouldn't normally mention a video game but this was almost like an interactive movie; light on game play and more story driven with lots of lighting sources used by the characters.

Last edited:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I was just watching the mo0vie "Fury" and near the end there is a scene where a German SS soldier is looking under the American tank to verify there are no survivors and he lights it up with a flashlight to see. To those that aren't familiar with the movie, it is about an American tank crew during World War II.

Now the light the soldier uses is better than any light that we were issued when I was young enlisted man in 1992. I have watched the clip a couple times and at first I was sure it is an LED but after a few times watching it, I now think that it is at least an incan but something along the lines of a Surefire Aviator.

Either way, this clearly isnt something that was available in 1941 right?

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just watching the mo0vie "Fury" and near the end there is a scene where a German SS soldier is looking under the American tank to verify there are no survivors and he lights it up with a flashlight to see. To those that aren't familiar with the movie, it is about an American tank crew during World War II.

Now the light the soldier uses is better than any light that we were issued when I was young enlisted man in 1992. I have watched the clip a couple times and at first I was sure it is an LED but after a few times watching it, I now think that it is at least an incan but something along the lines of a Surefire Aviator.

Either way, this clearly isnt something that was available in 1941 right?
Hey Captain, long time, no see!

I thought the same thing when I saw it a couple of years ago, that is definitely WAY too bright to be a light from the early '40s. I never did get if he saw him under the tank and just let him go, or if he didn't see him, even with that bright future light, lol. :candle:

spyderco monkey

Newly Enlightened
I just watched a fantastic vintage Noir movie from 1948 called "He Walked by Night."

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-10-25%2Bat%2B12.04.05%2BPM.png

It features a number of excellent scenes of the Villain and Police navigating the real storm drain tunnels of LA with 1940's era flashlights. Also just a really surprisingly hardcore crime movie given the time it was made - it feels very similar in many ways to the methodical criminals found in Michael Mann's Thief and Heat.

Best of all, its old enough that you can watch it on Youtube for free. Tunnel work begins at 38 minutes, and then several times throughout the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rBZ7Hoaf5o

QMT93

Enlightened
I just watched the movie "Crawl". There were three lights in the movie that I can remember. What models do you think those are?
1) The daughter's light: It was a hand-operated light (she has to spin it to use), yellow body, black bezel, pretty.
2) The dad's light: I believe it's a 90-degree light, good throw and spill in my opinion, appears to shine even better than the next one.
3) The officer's light: typical throw light with long, thin body, big head.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. Please help identify this tiny flashlight form the Fast and Furious scene.

Hello and welcome to CPF .... As a new member here, your initial posts will require staff approval. Please be patient, making duplicate posts does not speed up this process, but does require extra staff effort to delete these.

Thanks for your understanding.