Flashlights in TV shows and movies (Part 4)

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging by the crenulation and side switch it looks like a Fenix TK20R V1 but a lot of lights from Chinese brands would have both a side and tail switch.

Definitely not a TN12Pro or PD36R: in the second photo the head appears to be larger than the body so it's not a one-inch flashlight.

Last edited:

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
More Mag action in The Last of Us, this week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230206_235316.jpg
    Screenshot_20230206_235316.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 149

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched an early episode of the nature series, The Desert Speaks. It originally aired in May 2006 and is all about desert tortoises. At one point, peering into a dark rocky cavity, a researcher held in her hand a beautiful yellow Surefire G2 with a nice warm incan beam. Yes, there was a tortoise at the back of the chamber.

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watching the British forensic crime drama series "Silent Witness" (now up to season 25), police and pathologist/investigators frequently use UV flashlights to detect blood and presumably other clues. I am no expert on identifying specific flashlight types, and the shots are not all that good (close-ups), but would be interested to know what types they most likely use (assuming they're real), which would stand up to professional usage.

Dave

bykfixer

Flashaholic
While watching the tv show Friday night lights there was a scene where character Tim Riggins was talking to a girl while working on a truck and it briefly showed him holding an incan minimag in 2009.
They were actually pretty good inspection lights due to the ability of the small spot to peer into crevices well.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night while channel surfing stopped at S.E.A.L.Team, Marine had a flashlight in hand inspecting iron diving bell equipment. A tiny hand held, couldn't tell at first what is mfgr., and then bam! Camera closeup to MAGLITE written across the head. TV soldier no doubt carrying a new Mag-tac crown bezel!
Tony must know a few Hollywood folks for the free advertisement.

Star Trek - Picard.
Season Three / Episode 10.

Rescue scene, about 45 minutes into the episode: Riker takes out what appears to be a Nitecore TM28 as he and Worf hunt in dark places for the source of the Borg transmitter (this season's nemesis).

On a personal note, it's good to know that at least one of today's manufacturers survives into the 24th century. 😎

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Star Trek - Picard.
Season Three / Episode 10.

Rescue scene, about 45 minutes into the episode: Riker takes out what appears to be a Nitecore TM28 as he and Worf hunt in dark places for the source of the Borg transmitter (this season's nemesis).

On a personal note, it's good to know that at least one of today's manufacturers survives into the 24th century. 😎
The TM28 is a true darling of Hollywood's sci-fi division.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The Mole People" 1956 John Agar and Huge Beaumont (Leave to Beavers father) and a cast of B rate actors..
I watched last night.. Head character Agar has many scenes carrying what appears to be a 50's Eveready Captain hanging off his side by D-ring. The blinding incan was used avoid Mole people, and thwarting off the albinos dudes (head honcho was guy who played Alfred the butler on Batman tv series, lol) who rule the underground city.. Man, if if weren't for the vintage Captain, and cute blonde enslaved actress, I almost fell asleep a few times.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope youtube counts. I just saw this, Adam Savage Learns How Old Books Were Made!, and Adam nonchalantly pulls out a little surprise at some point (best view just after 24 minute mark). For an instant, I thought it was one of those old chrome incan flashlights with the red heads. Obviously not, too small, not chrome, head is not red just has a red ring, so doesn't really look like those at all, and it's floody with no rings, and pretty sure it is twisty, so I expect it is an LED flashlight. Anyone recognize this?

oOkhFrt_d.webp

ctTJunB_d.webp

IJlZkgJ_d.webp

Could that say, "Cabela's?" Is it possible it is an older and less cheesy version of something like this?

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seriously doubt it is anything special, unfortunately, just special to him quite not having yet gotten over how neat LED flashlights are.

Here he is showing his EDC (ten years ago), one of his flashlights in particular, which looks to me like a classic original Fenix LD01

h0Uf2Cf_d.webp

And Here he is going absolutely bonkers two years ago over his 3000Lm "Google" Elektro Lumens FireSword, which is impressive for c.2008 technology when first developed, and Adam claims, was never officially released, but I think maybe his Google contacts were exaggerating as it seems to be an Elektro Lumens product and merely Google swag. I suspect his claim of 9 minutes of runtime has more to do with heat safety than capacity, as its pedestrian current draw (can't find again where I saw 2.8A claimed) would not deplete even lower capacity 1800mAh 18650s that fast.

And he briefly shows off his Apollo replica here two years ago when revealing what's in his fanny pack.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does look a lot like that NEBO Micro Redline. Good eye, importculture.

If it is, he wasn't twisting it on, but adjusting focus, and he would have had to get over his hatred of CR123A that he expressed in the ten year old video.

ZeroAir review of that light is pretty devastating: "The PWM is very, very bad. The emitter is bluer than any (not actually blue) emitter I've had. The user interface is not great (strobe in the main modes).... PWM is so bad on all three levels (yes even High) that the usual timescale (50us) is not useful." That could be the dimmest CR123A flashlight there is, though the runtime is decent if 25–20Lm is all that's needed. And it's very inexpensive.

Poor Adam, such a curious and enthusiastic sciency guy, but hasn't yet figured out what qualities make a flashlight decent or not. I expect he was blinded by it having a tail switch, the attractive host, the price, focusing feature, and magnetic tail to be able to notice that light stinks.

MAGALITE

Newly Enlightened
Resident Evil 2 Remake ~ Ghost Survivors DLC:

Maglite ML50L 3C LED in Black.
(Okay, it's a video game. Took me weeks before I could get a clear look at it in the game to positively I.D. it.)
I'm trying to identify Leon's flashlight in the Resident Evil 4 remake as well. Perhaps it is also the Maglite ML150L???