Floody, very bright and with as little modes as possible?

SantaClawz

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I currently own a Jetbeam ST Cycler, which is a compact x ml 18650 floody little light, and I love it very much but it has way too many modes and brightness levels, so I was wondering if there are any lights such as this one, floody, compact and powerful but with less modes/brightness levels, a simple low and high settings are all I need/want. And preferably a single 18650 or two cr123's

The only light with similar size and output that has two modes only that I am aware of is Surefire Fury, but I am not sure if its more of a thrower as opposed to floody like my cycler?

What other options do I have? if any.

Last edited:

SantaClawz

Newly Enlightened
Not a big fan of diffusers, I think they take away from the overall brightness too much and kill any throw the light might have. That's why I need something like my Cycler, it's very bright, has "some" throw to it, but it just floods up a large areas around me.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makloff M91A or M91AW (cool and warm white respectively) in a Malkoff MD2 body with optional Hi-Low ring. Foward Clicky on/off, twist head to select high or low mode. 500+ lumens of flood light. The only thing is you'll need to use a pair of IMR 18350 rechargables, I'm not sure if 123a primarys will match the modules voltage needs under load, and an 18650 is a couple volts short. I'm not sure if the MD2 high low ring and body can be used with non-malkoff modules, but if that's possible then there are XML and triple emitter dropins that should work with a single 18650, and actually most of those have electronic 3 mode capability so you can use them in any 18650 host that fits them.

edit: You'll find that most P60 dropins with XML emitters are going to be fairly floody, though I think a few have customized reflectors that manage to produce respectable throw from an XML.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark Tacticals have to two modes separated by a bezel twist. You program two out of 8 possible (3 are disco). Won't take a 18650, but a 17670 is OK though

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There's a diffusing material for sale in the Marketplace that is only supposed to cut 3-4% of the total light output.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Good floody light, 1 x 18650, 2 modes (on and off), momentary switch, 1000 lumens, reasonable price, awesome build?
Sound like it fits the picture?
Then have a look at the Elektrolumens EDC-XML.

If you want one extra mode, then the Malkoff lights (Wildcat, Hound dog) would be my choice also.

SantaClawz

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate all replies and thank you all for helping out with your suggestions. I ended up ordering Malkoff MD3 body, with MD2 head, low/high switch and a M91A drop in. I know it's not an 18650 or a double 123 light, but it's still relatively "compact", powerful and floody so it should do the trick.

Oh and bedazzLED, I wish I saw your post earlier, but I already made the purchase before I saw it, otherwise I would seriously consider your suggestion. :( But in the end I think I made a good decision with Malkoff as well.

Last edited:

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Oh well, SantaClawz, the seed has been planted into your mind. It will slowly eat at you; youwill keep thinking about it, and you will finally crack and order one!
Isn't being a flashaholic great :)

SantaClawz

Newly Enlightened
Oh well, SantaClawz, the seed has been planted into your mind. It will slowly eat at you; youwill keep thinking about it, and you will finally crack and order one!
Isn't being a flashaholic great :)

lol :laughing:

Please! no more spending on flashlights. When I first joined this community, I thought you guys were weird for buying so many lights, but now I understand.

Last edited:

Phantom309

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Fenix PD32. It is 2x123, or 18650 (mine came with 2, and a charger). Is very bright, with a lot of flood, too much in fact for what I was afterm might have to do some trading. 4 levels and 2 flash modes. $70 with the batteies and charger.

BarryG

Enlightened
You should really think about adding an EDC by ElektroLumens to your group! Mine makes me smile every time I turn it on, kinda like having a car's headlight in your hand. I have the MC-E version and it is simple, rugged bomb-proof and the first custom light I bought. You can find them used from time to time at a good price.

Barry