KQ3MWCB.jpg

pros and cons
the paint was more grippy
the brass is more shiny :)
brass is germicidal, can make handsmell like money, and will tarnish

Last edited:

sandalian

Enlightened
Interested to backorder but wondering where will the flashlight shipped from?
China (the manufacturer) or US (the store)?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon, it looks really great polished - even nicer than a patina, in my opinion. Nice work.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
it looks really great polished

thanks for the kind words of support ;-)
Im glad its now raw brass, because I find the Oligodynamic effect fascinating.

otoh, the factory finish feels very nice in hand, and it blocks the smell of money, that comes from handling copper alloys

I dont know exactly what the factory finish is, my guess is its a kind of paint with a gloss coat over it. I would call it an Oil Rubbed Brass finish. It wont patina.

As far as patina goes, its not a priority for me. I know how to force patina, and I also like to polish it off from time to time. And where I live the humidity will patina the copper alloys relatively quickly.. so, I like to enjoy both, shiny highlights, w some patina, and I particularly like the germicidal feature, of the raw metal.

fun little light, even though the UI is not my favorite, and the moon and Low modes are not per spec.. Its small, its cute, and it comes with a USB rechargeable LiIon..

I would not give it as a gift though, the hold for off is a deal killer for a non flashoholic, imo..

this is really a light for Tint Snobs, the CRI Ra is 98, and the CRI R9 is 95.. not many LEDs can touch those specs.. And nobody else offers an off the shelf 3300k E21a

btw, maukka tested it, here is part of his results:
click pic for a link to his image album

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been EDC'ing my Folomov C1 since it arrived. I like the warm LED, the small size, and beam.

Some observation about Folomov C1 lumen output and battery voltage.

when the battery is full, moonlight is 2.2 lumens, and Low is 19 lumens

basically, when the battery is half as full, the light is about half as bright..

at 3.6v the outputs are
Moonlight, 1.1 lumens
Low, 13 lumens
Medium, 32 lumens
High, 96 lumens

Here is what it looks like today, after rolling around in my pocket with keys and coins. fwiw I have had zero accidental activations, the light has been 100% reliable, and works every time:
raYS8Wv.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy carrying the Folomov and not worrying about the finish. It has not gotten as beat up as I expected.
Its a sweet little light, and I continue to enjoy the warm LED very much.

The CCT is similar to the Warm Sofirn C01, but the Folomov has extra modes, that make it a bit more versatile beyond arms reach. I tolerate the unusual UI of the Folomov, because I like the LED so much.

I tried carrying the Warm Sofirn C01 briefly, but the Folomov is smaller and more versatile,
lWV3xW1.png

so it won the contest for a spot in my pocket. I also like that the Folomov is smoother than the Sofirn, it feels better when I reach into my pocket with my delicate hands. Since I dont keep a light on my keys, I dont mind that the Folomov lacks a keyring option.

Ive been carrying the 3200k E21a Folomov paired with an N219b 4500k 9080 in an RRT-01.. they are my Dynamic Duo, atm:
C9fMXGD.png

Things that would make the Folomov even better, but are not likely to happen
1. the lowest mode should be 0.5 per spec, not the 2 lumens actual
2. a keyring connection would be nice
3. Memory should work for moonlight also, but since it does not, I just use the hold for moon shortcut.
4. I wish the light would click on and click off, instead of needing to hold for off..

I still carry the light, despite those less than ideal factors.. The LED matters more to me than the UI.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon, that is indeed a dynamic duo.

The Folomov UI is what's stopped me from buying it. I still may give in and get one for hat brim use one day.

The rotary is also very tempting.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pulled the folomov out of my jeans pocket the other day and it would not turn on.
Tested the battery, it was at 2.66 volts
charged it back up

did a test:
I ran the battery down until the light turned off

I turned it on after resting the battery, repeatedly, until all I was getting was a flash of light for a brief moment, and then it turned itself off

the battery was at 2.66 v

conclusion
Folomov circuit does not work below 2.7v
the protection circuit in the battery did not trigger

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
(contents removed)

@Folomov
Welcome to CPF

Please PM me.
I would like to discuss some ideas about the Folomov UI, and batteries.

I applaud Folomov's use of the 3000k E21a in the Folomov EDC C1.
That is a unique LED, that I like very much, and the little C1 is a very nice package, and the smallest of my AAA lights.
lWV3xW1.png

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is so interesting how tint works. Next to the "3000 watt" incandescent, the Folomov almost has a blue hue to it. When placed next to the Maratac and the Olight it looks warm in the 3000K range and makes the Maratac look blue/purple and the Olight to look warm with a bit of rosey tint.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is so interesting how tint works. Next to the "3000 watt" incandescent, the Folomov almost has a blue hue to it. When placed next to the Maratac and the Olight it looks warm in the 3000K range and makes the Maratac look blue/purple and the Olight to look warm with a bit of rosey tint.

thanks for catching that 3000 watt typo! LOL!

yes all the relative colors of lights change based on the Color Temperature of the White Balance of the photo. Our brain does something similar. When shining a light on a white wall during daylight, it looks like a very different color than when shining the same light on a white wall when I wake in the dark.

This white balance factor is the reason we hear so many people say different things about the same LED. Some will notice pink or green tint, and others will use the same light in a different white balance environment and report that they are pure white, creamy white, etc.

The folomov C1 looks nice in the dark, not too cool blue. otoh, during daylight it looks downright warm orange.

dk21291

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the kind words of support ;-)
Im glad its now raw brass, because I find the Oligodynamic effect fascinating.

otoh, the factory finish feels very nice in hand, and it blocks the smell of money, that comes from handling copper alloys

I dont know exactly what the factory finish is, my guess is its a kind of paint with a gloss coat over it. I would call it an Oil Rubbed Brass finish. It wont patina.

As far as patina goes, its not a priority for me. I know how to force patina, and I also like to polish it off from time to time. And where I live the humidity will patina the copper alloys relatively quickly.. so, I like to enjoy both, shiny highlights, w some patina, and I particularly like the germicidal feature, of the raw metal.

fun little light, even though the UI is not my favorite, and the moon and Low modes are not per spec.. Its small, its cute, and it comes with a USB rechargeable LiIon..

I would not give it as a gift though, the hold for off is a deal killer for a non flashoholic, imo..

this is really a light for Tint Snobs, the CRI Ra is 98, and the CRI R9 is 95.. not many LEDs can touch those specs.. And nobody else offers an off the shelf 3300k E21a

btw, maukka tested it, here is part of his results:
click pic for a link to his image album

Did you polish the light, or was that only removing the paint/coating??

pol77

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of a good 10440 battery with micro-usb charging, like the one that comes in this light? I always like to have a spare.

Latest posts