For people who have FAITH in Michael & can talk about his work & offer our support.

samuraishot

Enlightened
I totally support saabluster - I got a deft-edc mod on my C2, and his work went waaay beyond my expectations. The work was impeccable and I have no doubts that any of his past, current, and future builds would ever be less than stellar. :cool:

fishhead

Newly Enlightened
Re: For people who have FAITH in Michael & can talk about his work & offer our suppor

I have a DEFT-HO, a DEFT-EDC, a DEFT-EDC LR, and finally a DEFT-EDC Enthusiast. So I don't really need faith in Michael's lights when I have firm solid proof of his excellent and amazing work.

Shooter21

Enlightened
Re: For people who have FAITH in Michael & can talk about his work & offer our suppor

I cant wait for a new full size deft. I'm hoping it will be 1 million lux. I was thinking maybe michael can install 3 or more aspherical lenses in a very large head to get that much throw?

LowFlux

Enlightened
I cant wait for a new full size deft. I'm hoping it will be 1 million lux. I was thinking maybe michael can install 3 or more aspherical lenses in a very large head to get that much throw?
Saabluster is good, but I don't think he can defy geometry. ;) 3 separate rays can only be focused to a single preset distance for the highest lux value...before and after that preset distance the beams are not converged. Multi head emitters are not good for throw because of this limitation.

Shooter21

Enlightened

Saabluster is good, but I don't think he can defy geometry. ;) 3 separate rays can only be focused to a single preset distance for the highest lux value...before and after that preset distance the beams are not converged. Multi head emitters are not good for throw because of this limitation.
i was thinking 3 sets of optics on top of each other in one reflector to increase the throw.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

i was thinking 3 sets of optics on top of each other in one reflector to increase the throw.

That's not how aspherics work. They aren't nozzles that focus light, they are optics that create images. Set your aspheric light to correct focus and turn it off. Look into the lens and you will see a yellow blob filling most of the lens. This is an image of the (center of the) LED being projected. When the LED is lit, its light projects as an image of itself, which is the most-focused that its light can be. Use of other optics can invert or stretch the image, but it can't be feasibly made smaller. In fact, the highest lux possible would be with a very large fresnel lens a few meters away from an LED. When focused, this will project a much narrower beam (with many fewer lumens) than any small light. One way to imagine this is that the ratio of apparent LED size at the optic, to the size of the optic, leads to throw. This is not precisely correct but works well enough. A small LED farther away can be focused to a smaller point.

The take-home lesson here is that as shown in the third sentence here, any 'pre-optic' increases the apparent size of the LED. A pre-optic in the main light path increases output and decreases intensity. There is no free lunch, and no way to make infinitely-narrow beams of light. In general, the greater the focal distance of the aspheric, the smaller the dispersion angle of the LED image would be (And the higher the lux at a given range). But the greater the focal distance, the less output and/or the bigger the lens would need to be.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Michael,

How do you pick a good host to modify?

I am sure a lot of people would like to know what characteristics make for a good host to mod.

Probably what I am saying too, is how did you pick the current three lights available at your shop?

Simple question, but I feel the answer will probably be too overwhelming for my amateur flashaholic brain to take on board.

CHEERS

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Michael has just told me he is too busy getting into the product building and is in the final stage of the TN31 builds.

He said I could relay this information onto other CPFers that are concerned maybe.

He would rather work hard at the moment and get back to the forum about where he is at later.

He does not want to spend too much of his time making promises about final deadlines and rather knuckle down with the job at hand.

I think he has reassured me that everything is proceeding well but slower than even he thought as he said he has five finished TN31s at the moment.

Cheers

Michael has just told me he is too busy getting into the product building and is in the final stage of the TN31 builds.

He said I could relay this information onto other CPFers that are concerned maybe.

He would rather work hard at the moment and get back to the forum about where he is at later.

He does not want to spend too much of his time making promises about final deadlines and rather knuckle down with the job at hand.

I think he has reassured me that everything is proceeding well but slower than even he thought as he said he has five finished TN31s at the moment.

Cheers

Good things come to those who wait.......... ;)