For Streamlight Strion users-FYI

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure as a user reading this you're aware of SL's demonstrated commitment to continued support for and expansion of the Strion line / platform. You're likely also aware of the recently announced new '2020' model, and also that it features, among other enhancements, a significantly increased max output. You might well have not gotten around to connecting those 3 dots yet, but that line vectors straight to a clear requirement for a power supply with more watt-hours, and it appears that's exactly what we're all getting out of this deal; a new Strion cell w/ 33% increase in capacity (vs the currently shipping version)!!

The existing cell (74175) has been updated several times over the years. I don't recall what came with my incan. The one currently in my original LED version sitting here is rated 2000 mAh. The latest cell I have came in my DS-HL last year, and is rated 2600 mAh. The new cell being released along with the 2020 flashlight (74436) is rated at 3450 mAh.

I've been expecting this, and only wondered 'when' it would happen. I may not be trading in my DS-HL for a 2020, but it's the 2020 that made the 'when' happen, so I'm very happy to see the new model! It's 'on for young and old', literally. I can swap the cell in the DS-HL I already love and use with one of these, be packing a 33% upgrade in run-time, for a 20% higher cell price, with no size or weight penalty. Then I stick that cell from the DS-HL into my original LED version sitting here, and it gets a 20% upgrade in run-time too. Yeah, I'll take that deal.

My run-time requirements generally aren't as high as they used to be, but I've also learned that 'run-time' needs can never be completely anticipated in life, and if I come up short, darkness is likely to be a fairly high priority problem. A little margin in hand is a good thing.

Hate to plug anybody, but 'brightguy's already got the scoop on the new cell on their site (good for them), and a sign-up for e-mail at availability for order, so they'll get my money this time! I'm not gonna waste any time because with all the pro (and non-pro) Strion users out there, when the word hits the street that they can up their run time by a third (at least) by simply swapping cells, there may be a lot of orders for these. At new-product rollout, cells are going into shipping lights, and 'spares' / parts inventories often don't hit their target levels immediately, so I'm sure there won't be a million of 'em sitting on the shelf at 'general availability' of the 2020.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks cool. I was never impressed with the incan version. I wonder what the tint is like on this one? I did always like that machined knurling they put on the body.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an update regarding the new Strion cell, 74436, which is being released with the Strion 2020.

I initially found this cell listed on brightguy, with e-mail signup for notification of availability for order. I wish I had saved the info on that page, as it appears (to me) to currently be 180-out with what I recall reading there a few weeks ago.

Unless I'm very mistaken, the BG description previously stated that the new cell was compatible with previous Strion products. When I received the e-mail notification and clicked the link to order one, I found that the info there currently indicates that the cell is not 'backward compatible'.

"Streamlight 74436 Li-ion battery is compatible with Streamlight Strion 2020 flashlight only."

I have my idea(s) about why that might have been changed, however I currently have a question in to SL Support which will hopefully verify their official policy, even though that might differ from the actual reality of the matter due to policy decision. I'll post the essence of their response to my inquiry when I receive it. I'm going to delay my order until I have a better understanding of this.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
too bad they only made the light rechargeable by charging sleeve and not on port charging for the battery.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be surprised if the battery doesn't work in older LED Strions. It's supposed to work with existing piggyback chargers. As far as buying a 2020, check around other police supply type websites. I've seen some with discount codes you can get a deal with.

too bad they only made the light rechargeable by charging sleeve and not on port charging for the battery.
They have a charger that charges a spare Strion battery outside the flashlight at the same time as the light itself. Having taken apart a Strion battery I can't tell if they'd be able to add USB charging or not. It's an unprotected 18650 with cap over the positive terminal and some kind of voltage regulator PCB sitting on the negative end. Bet they could redo that PCB to make room for a USB port but who knows.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I'd be surprised if the battery doesn't work in older LED Strions. It's supposed to work with existing piggyback chargers. As far as buying a 2020, check around other police supply type websites. I've seen some with discount codes you can get a deal with.

They have a charger that charges a spare Strion battery outside the flashlight at the same time as the light itself. Having taken apart a Strion battery I can't tell if they'd be able to add USB charging or not. It's an unprotected 18650 with cap over the positive terminal and some kind of voltage regulator PCB sitting on the negative end. Bet they could redo that PCB to make room for a USB port but who knows.
I just love the Protact HLX because it has a 18650 battery with on port charging. Hmm makes me wonder if the 18650 would work in a strion, they appear to be the same size and voltage.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just love the Protact HLX because it has a 18650 battery with on port charging. Hmm makes me wonder if the 18650 would work in a strion, they appear to be the same size and voltage.
The cell in a Strion battery is an 18650 but it's in a plastic shell with negative contacts at both ends of the battery plus a PCB. A bare 18650 is smaller and doesn't have the right connections.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just love the Protact HLX
Nice light. I don't have an HLX, but am familiar with it and almost bought one. For some uses, and for those not really wanting a 'system solution', it might be my top pick of the current Streamlights. Appreciate the feedback / opinion, as I know you use your lights daily for serious business, and would consider that one if my needs were to change a bit, as they certainly can in life.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
I'm staying away from this light. In fact I am no longer purchasing any light that requires a proprietary cell.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm staying away from this light. In fact I am no longer purchasing any light that requires a proprietary cell.
I used to think that way and then a wise man once said a proprietary cell insures that a cell meeting quality and safety standards can only be used in such lights.

My reason for not getting this strion is that it isn't made in USA unlike my xenon model. I quite like Strion especially the first version.

I miss nothing with this light since I use a Stinger 2020.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
I used to think that way and then a wise man once said a proprietary cell insures that a cell meeting quality and safety standards can only be used in such lights.

My reason for not getting this strion is that it isn't made in USA unlike my xenon model. I quite like Strion especially the first version.

I miss nothing with this light since I use a Stinger 2020.
While that is true, it also means you must have that particular cell in an emergency situation. When a light is designed for law enforcement who could be in a variety of emergency situations you don't want to waiting 8 hours for a light to charge or being forced to use equipment your not familiar with. That might be ok for an agency that can issue a light with multiple extra cells but for the average user its a pain.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
While that is true, it also means you must have that particular cell in an emergency situation. When a light is designed for law enforcement who could be in a variety of emergency situations you don't want to waiting 8 hours for a light to charge or being forced to use equipment your not familiar with. That might be ok for an agency that can issue a light with multiple extra cells but for the average user its a pain.
SL did not re-invent the Strion system w/ the 2020, they just improved / enhanced / expanded it. If the basic Strion system didn't meet your requirements previously, it likely doesn't now either.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're overlooking that American police flashlights have used proprietary rechargeable batteries since 1974. The Strion itself has used the same chargers and compatible batteries going back 20 years. It's not a certainty that a LEO would have easier access to 18650 cells, and he may be working in an environment with Strion chargers and batteries all over the place. My understanding is that departments generally require officers to buy approved duty lights with their allowance, and any other lights they carry is a personal choice.

Streamlight could make an 18650 adapter for the Strions. I'd like that, but I can also see how it wouldn't make finacial sense when most of their customers would rather buy approved cells than tinker with stuff that may have come off Wish or whatever.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Nice light. I don't have an HLX, but am familiar with it and almost bought one. For some uses, and for those not really wanting a 'system solution', it might be my top pick of the current Streamlights. Appreciate the feedback / opinion, as I know you use your lights daily for serious business, and would consider that one if my needs were to change a bit, as they certainly can in life.
I actually dropped my Stinger the other day and it bent the bezel ring. Light still works, however I have actually dropped lights before and they died from the same treatment.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Last time there was an extended power outage here the police stopped using their Stingers, Strions and 7060's after a day or two. They began running Scorpions and Maglites. Why? Simply because there were not enough extra proprietary cells around and they could not charge their lights fast enough. At least they could change the cells in the Scorpions and Maglites. At the time my boss had issued every employee and company vehicle a Pelican 7060. Most of us went back to using our old 2 D maglites because we couldnt keep the 7060's charged.

With the technology available today Streamlight could have at least made the new Strion's 18650 or 2 cr123 compatible as a back up option. In fact now many officers I see are carrying lights that use the 1 18650 or 2x cr123 option.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last time there was an extended power outage here the police stopped using their Stingers, Strions and 7060's after a day or two. They began running Scorpions and Maglites.

Exactly. That's exactly what they did, is exactly what I would do in their situation / that circumstance, and exactly what I would do myself as a civilian professional user. You're essentially describing a circumstantial 'N+1' situation. N+1 does not apply simply / only to the case of a failed / lost flashlight. All my N+1 lights on duty, and all my backup lights that I carry in general are primary cell compatible, and most LEOs / emergency services personnel are probably as smart as I am. Power outages in industrial environments (at least mine) are not nearly as uncommon as what you describe. I'm no prepper, but I also keep at least an adequate supply of 123s on hand to meet such demands, and always carry a light that can use them, which includes most of the lights I own.

What you describe is statistically an extreme example of an edge / boundary / out of bounds event / circumstance, but one which should be anticipated by anyone competent. They can and will eventually happen. I'm not, however an absolutist, nor so rigid as some in my thinking. The ideal / optimum is flexibility, which includes more than one option. That does not mean that in the vast, vast majority of circumstances I should not use what best meets my overall daily / routine needs, which in my case is a Strion (DS-HL currently), and for others is a traditional Stinger, Magcharger, or other similar light / system. To say that edge / out of bounds conditions should exclude lights such as Strions for daily use, day in / out in general would be essentially a borderline non sequitur, and definitely a bridge too far. My Strion best meets my needs day in/out, which as a percentage of the time, is way out in the nines, but in no way implies that I'm not prepared for out of bounds circumstances.

There's always a larger picture to be considered.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Unfortunately those kinds of situations do happen and its usually first responder's who have to deal with the immediate aftermath. Any earthquake or hurricane could happen with little warning. Lets face it you can't call a time out just because you need to charge your batteries. I'm simply stating that Streamlight markets their lights to first responder's and I feel they are dropping the ball by using strictly proprietary cells to power their lights. For the civilian market its ok but to those that rely on lights with their lives, there are better options...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Unfortunately those kinds of situations do happen and its usually first responder's who have to deal with the immediate aftermath. Any earthquake or hurricane could happen with little warning. Lets face it you can't call a time out just because you need to charge your batteries. I'm simply stating that Streamlight markets their lights to first responder's and I feel they are dropping the ball by using strictly proprietary cells to power their lights. For the civilian market its ok but to those that rely on lights with their lives, there are better options...
Agree 100%.

I have a Maglite ML125, which comes with a proprietary battery but can run off 3 C cells in a pinch.

The Streamlight double clutch head lamp comes with a proprietary battery but will run off 3 aaa's in a pinch.

I stuck with my older Strion simply because it was a great flashlight for backup to the Stinger with the same output.