Form factor vs praticality

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
I'll throw the TM26 into the mix. For a 4 x 18650 light it is amazingly small and has a great beam (fairly floody without an intense hotspot). Although it is a bit pricey at about $170 you do get long run times and high output. At 700 lumens you'll be able to run 8.25 hours. It has a built in charger and displays available run-time and voltage. If I could only have one light the TM26 would be my choice.

Zak

Enlightened
I generally go with smaller 1x18650 lights for pocket carry, or 1xAAA on the rare occasion I wear something that doesn't have good pockets. I could get by with less, but I don't have to so why would I?

I'm really liking the Klarus G30 I recently reviewed on reddit for a bigger light attached to my backpack. It's a 3x18650 light the size of a Red Bull can with an MT-G2, one of the few Cree emitters capable of producing a beam that isn't ugly. My crude measurements suggest it has a bit more throw than claimed, but I'd kind of like a true thrower in the same form factor. The only one that comes to mind is the Olight SR52-UT. I'd like that light if it had stable output (a series configuration or a boost driver), but it does not.

ncgrass

Enlightened
Since it seems like you're not wanting to lug a big light around, it seems like a 18650 sized light might be for you. Can always carry 2x CR123 as spare. A match holder from Walmart is what a few people use. They're lightweight, weather-proof etc. Second to that, 2x AA lights are a great size too, with excellent run times and superb brightness these days.

Perhaps letting us know roughly how many lumens you're after and even what you consider an ideal diameter would help with out suggestions. I don't have too much to suggest since it seems like you and I have slightly different taste, but we're kinda throwing a million suggestions at you right now.

gumert

Newly Enlightened
I really appreciate all the replies.

I should have come out and said something along the lines of "do you ever regret buying a large (2-4 18650/26650) light when you use it for long periods of time?" since that's the way I'm leaning right now. I just didn't want to steer the conversation one way or the other, so I was trying to phrase my question as neutrally as possible.

The camera analogy was a good one, but it might have not had the intended effect. I carry a DSLR, along with a second lens, with me a little too often. I'm certainly not a pro, but I enjoy making the occasional print. To me, the things a DSLR brings to the table over a smartphone's camera outweigh the size/weight penalty for the types of photos I take. I do need to plan ahead to bring the camera, but the same will be true of any flashlight I buy since I rarely find myself in the dark unplanned (thus I don't EDC anything).

I was also trying to stay away from "recommend me a light" (although I obviously appreciate the suggestions). I'm leaning toward a bigger light mostly for run time - I've killed my C8 on its 300 lumen setting a few times now. I don't really know how to describe what I want, or even if what I want makes sense. Right now, I'm trying to maintain my C8's hotspot intensity on its mid (~9,000 CD) and low (~1,000 CD) settings while making the overall hotspot larger and hopefully less clearly defined relative to the corona. Looking at specs, I've been ball parking this by trying to see how many lumens a given light is putting out while in the range of 1,000 CD to ~9,000 CD of hotspot intensity. Granted, a larger ~9k CD hotspot might wind up being too bright for my of use even though it's not any more intense... :thinking:

Witterings

Enlightened
The camera analogy was a good one, but it might have not had the intended effect. I carry a DSLR, along with a second lens, with me a little too often. I'm certainly not a pro, but I enjoy making the occasional print. To me, the things a DSLR brings to the table over a smartphone's camera outweigh the size/weight penalty for the types of photos I take. I do need to plan ahead to bring the camera, but the same will be true of any flashlight I buy since I rarely find myself in the dark unplanned (thus I don't EDC anything).

Somewhere in between there's the Sony RX 100 .... kind of equivalent to an 18650 :)

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
...H600Fw is definitely a better headlamp, the frosted lens (F) creates a nice and even field of view, with nearly the range of the clear lens model. But if you want the most all purpose light then go for the regular H600 or H600w... but the H600Fw is a nearly perfect, all round balance of compromises, great headlamp.
With the H600w you can put Scotch Magic tape over the glass to give more of a H600Fw beam. Then you can always remove it for the extra throw if needed.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was also trying to stay away from "recommend me a light" (although I obviously appreciate the suggestions). I'm leaning toward a bigger light mostly for run time - I've killed my C8 on its 300 lumen setting a few times now. I don't really know how to describe what I want, or even if what I want makes sense. Right now, I'm trying to maintain my C8's hotspot intensity on its mid (~9,000 CD) and low (~1,000 CD) settings while making the overall hotspot larger and hopefully less clearly defined relative to the corona. Looking at specs, I've been ball parking this by trying to see how many lumens a given light is putting out while in the range of 1,000 CD to ~9,000 CD of hotspot intensity. Granted, a larger ~9k CD hotspot might wind up being too bright for my of use even though it's not any more intense... :thinking:

Ok, I see better what you're going for, but I'm wondering how much you really need it, or if you're thinking you need the peak beam intensity of your C8 at 300 lumens, because the tight beam illuminates so small of an area that you're finding it difficult to get the illumination that you want.

May I suggest trying the scotch tape trick on your C8 and trying to get a better feel for what ranges you like which settings at?

Also, roughly what size area are you seeking to illuminate, and at what distance?

Spork

Enlightened
I had a similar thread a while back and received a lot of great feedback. This is almost a repost of what I've said before.

I've always enjoyed having a good torch but came to the realization that I only need one for basic situations. I like eneloops a lot and always figured that if I need a stronger light I could use something with 4 - 8 aa since I don't need it for edc vs using 18650 cells.
We live in a city and have underground power lines in our neighborhood. Power outages are rare and there aren't many situations where I need a light with throw or massive output. If I do ever need to use it outside I keep it low so I don't weird out neighbors.

So I ended up selling my 8aa light and went down to a 4aa for simplicity. We do have a wooded area behind our house so its nice to have something with power that I can shine out there when I hear noises. I hardly use it though. Its a can style light and while not a terrible form factor I would probably loose my shorts if I tried to put it in my pocket. I almost always grab a 2aa or 1aa light if I'm out on the deck at night. I figured out that I simply don't like using lights any bigger and my minimalist nature tells me don't buy it if I'm not going to use it. However then I have the thought that maybe some night I will need to see a little further in the woods or maybe there will be a widespread power outage where it would be useful to have a 4aa search light.

I could get by with less, but I don't have to so why would I?

This was the same reply Zak gave me in my thread and I agree with him. I think it would be great to have a light with more power just because this is what we enjoy. But my conflict is that I simply don't want 18650 cells. If I want more power then I need to upgrade to 4aa which I don't like either. So this is why I get stuck in a cycle of trying to figure out what I actually use vs having a higher output light just because I want to.

Last edited:

Zak

Enlightened
I was talking mostly about EDC there. It is my habit to EDC a light that runs on an 18650, makes at least 750 lumens and has at least 80 CRI. I can wear pants with pockets that make that comfortable in most situations, so I can think of no reason I wouldn't. It's just nice to have a light like that on hand all the time even though I don't need it.

OP seems to be looking for a light for hiking though, and I'd lean toward a Klarus G30 or Noctigon Meteor (219C) depending on budget if I was going to have a backpack with me. If not, any of many 1x18650 lights with various Zebralight products and the Armytek Prime near the top of the list for factory lights.

gumert

Newly Enlightened
An update on my part: I think I am going the two light path. Convoy's L6 is just too tempting to pass up, although I know it's not at all what I was originally seeking. It will probably spend all of its time on its second lowest setting.

I'm having a much harder time deciding on a 'floodier' light. I think what I'm really after is a wide(er) hotspot and narrow(er) spill. A reasonably uniform distribution of light. After spending too much time looking at numbers, I realized that I needed to start looking at beamshots. This is somewhat frustrating since lights are constantly changing - the beamshots you find might be for a light that's no longer available.

After much poking around, I happened across this German forum post with an incredible number of beamshots that all appear to have been taken under the same setup. This helped me whittle down my list pretty quickly.

Baseline: Convoy's C8 (my Thorfire has a similar beam pattern. Note the hot center)
convoy_c8.jpg

Convoy L6 (still a hot center)
convoy_L6.jpg

Thrunite TN35 (slightly hot center, tight spill)
ThruNite_TN35.jpg

Klarus G30 (looks like a pretty uniform dispersal of light)
Klarus_G30.jpg

Nitecore EC4SW (Same emitter as the G30, but driven less hard. Thus less overexposure with a similar light pattern)
nitecore_ec4sw.jpg

Fenix TK35UE MT-G2 (this looks 'perfect' to me, but sadly this variant is out of production. The new XHP50 variant will have a hotter hotspot and is back to Fenix's typically cool white)
TK35UE_MT-G2.jpg

Zebralight SC63W (I have nothing bad to say about this light other than the complex UI. The options above seem like better choices)
zebralight_sc63w.jpg

Noctigon M43 w/ Nichia 291BTs (alright, this might be too floody)
Noctigon_M43_Nichia_219BT.jpg

So it seems like I've talked myself down to either an EC4SW, G30, or TN35.

TN35 ($136)
Pros:
- I really like the UI
- tons of brightness settings
- tight spill
Cons:
- the largest light of the bunch
- the hottest center of the bunch, despite not having a lot of spill

G30 ($100)
Pros:
- smaller than the TN35
- longest claimed run times (50% more than the TN35, which seems odd given the same emitter + battery config)
- can run wide open for longer than the EC4SW (not that I would really want to do that)
Cons:
- still not pocket sized
- this is somewhat shallow, but their website is missing a ton of pictures and information. This does not build confidence in the brand to me
- the smallest number of output options in the group

EC4SW ($88 on sale @ nitecorestore.com)
Pros:
- the cheapest option
- the smallest option (will fit in a pocket easier and might be easier to hold)
- softest hotspot of the group
Cons:
- being the smallest in the group comes at the expense of run time
- no thermal regulation, but i likely won't need it

Decisions decisions.

edit: fixed tags

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the User Manual I just downloaded, the EC4SW has Automatic Temperature Regulation (ATR), which is supposed to maintain the light as close as possible to its selected mode by monitoring the temperature of the LED and adjusting the output dynamically.
The other advantage to the EC4SW and its cousins is that being die cast, they were able to put a lot more metal into the head area to help heat dissipation, which along with the ATR supposedly makes a big difference in maintaining output, especially on Turbo.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Just FYI, my 44AA Thrunite fits inside of a toilet paper roll. I don't edc it but easily small enough to drop in a jacket pocket if I wanted to.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just FYI, my 44AA Thrunite fits inside of a toilet paper roll. I don't edc it but easily small enough to drop in a jacket pocket if I wanted to.
The Nitecore EA41 does as well, and rides well on a belt too. I didn't mention it before because I was under the impression the OP wanted something a little narrower and lighter. But it is a nice light.

Marcuswell

Newly Enlightened
The question of factoring weight, bulk, runtime, lux, lumens, emergency backup reserve power, user interface, and color temperature (and tint) are all factors worthy of consideration and discussion, for sure. A triple emitter with twin 18650's might be the balance you seek. Maybe you want more energy on tap, or more (somewhat) floody throw.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
A killer combo that I've gotten really comfortable with is a ZL H600w or Fw with pocket clip, paired with a neutral tint Thrunite Ti3, which is powered by one AAA cell.
They give a very similar tint and beam profile, especially the Fw variant. So that's a negative for wanting multiple beam profiles (spot and flood) but it's a positive when the beam profiles are such good compromises that they serve most cases, and for me they do that well.
Both are nearly as small as they can be for their respective batteries, and give the benefit of two lights while together taking up less volume than most single 18650 lights.
Added benefit is that between them I can choose between very small, very bright, or extreme runtimes.
Using the AAA light with a lanyard or necklace, it's unnoticeable, and with a heat shrink covered end it is easy and non fatiguing to hold with my teeth.
A section of heat shrink tube over the crescent attachment of the pocket clip gives assurance that the pocket clip cannot pry off, heat shrink must be cut to be removed.
This combo is forgettable, they move from one pair of pants to another, but other than that they're always in the same place when needed, I've never had them commented on except when they're being used, there's no "light guy" appearance. They're used daily and nightly and batteries last me a month more or less before being replaced/ recharged between 30-70%. The AAA battery lasts a well as the 18650 for its pattern of usage.

I'd like to have a multiple emitter popcan light, or two or three of them, but not for forget- til - needed, constant carry.

I've posted about the same in multiple threads regarding practical lights, and it seems like all I've got to say about lights these days, but it bears repeating because after so many years of looking for the perfect balance of compromises for always having reliable illumination at hand (since my first 5mm red Infinity), this is the best that I've found so far. I'm always interested in something better but this combo makes using the lights effortless and pretty much mindless, freeing me from fumbles and distraction.

Aside from specific makes and models, the more general recommendation I'm making is to try pairing a compact single AAA light with a compact single 18650 light.
No regrets on other purchases, I've always had fun, but I could have saved a nice chunk of money zeroing in on these two sooner.

Last edited: