Found my lost Zebralight SC-52 after 4 years(under a bush)!

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was one of the people who pre-ordered the original SC-52 in the fall of 2012. Received it in December, and I started carrying the SC-52 in spring 2013. I carried it for over 2 years, when I somehow lost it. It was always in my front pocket with a hand woven paracord lanyard I made myself.

The lanyard had gotten hung on branches before, causing the light to slide out of my pocket, but I managed to find it each time with minimal effort. But the 4th occurrence in spring 2015 didn't work out as well. It was lost for good.

Then, a few days ago I was spreading mulch for an old client. There's a dense group of 3.5 foot tall Japanese hollies in front of his house. I had pruned them back severely last fall, and now was able to see underneath of them. While pulling out a few dead twigs, I grabbed hold of something else that was half buried in mud, which turned out to be the SC-52.

It was partially caked in mud, but once I rinsed and cleaned it, I removed the tailcap to find NO obvious moisture inside the battery tube. The Eagletac 14500 inside it looked fine. My XTAR VC4 showed the 14500 to have 0 volts initially, but it quickly jumped up to 3.5v. I was even able to recharge it.

But the good news seems to stop there. Initially, the light blinked when I temporarily installed a new AA battery, as it normally did. But the switch won't turn it on or off with a normal click. The only way it still worked, was to hold the switch down, and it would cycle through 3-4 brightness levels. But now that doesnt even work. It still blinks when screwing down the cap, but the switch seems dead.

Is it possible to remove & replace, or repair the switch, or is it likely a circuitry issue? Here's the photo of it as soon as I found it: **LOOK up my photos at Imgur under my screen name BrockRambo.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool. But I have no idea how to find your pictures. You should be able to link them here, or is that broken?

Anyway, it does sound like a switch problem. Perhaps something corroded. I don't think you can repair it yourself, but Zebralight might repair it for $15. Definitely worth it, as it's still a great light even though it was released a long time ago.

First, try thoroughly drying the light out. Take off the tailcap, and leave it in a sunny window for several days. DO NOT use the rice urban myth. That will likely just introduce rice dust and debris into the light, and won't dry it out any better than just air-drying it.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story. Please keep us updated!
Love to see pics.
:thumbsdow
:mad::thinking::shrug:I uploaded the pics to a photo compressor, compressed them, then tried to upload them here, as I would in many other sites. But when I click on the photo icon, there's no option to upload from my phone photo gallery, and the only other option seems to be to try and upload my pics from my phone to Imgur, then click on ^the photo option, and paste the photo url from Imgur. But it would NOT upload the picture that way either! They aren't giving me ANY clues as to why it failed to upload.

But you should be able to open up Imgur, click the search icon, type in BrockRambo, and a bunch of my photos should come up. Scroll over or down and you'll see them. Why do tech people make it so &%×*-ing difficult to either upload a photo to the site where you wish to show it, or for people to be able to simply type in my Imgur screen name and find my photos? Is there some other way to accomplish either of those 2 options, and why the h*** is it so difficult to do?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
If you (OP) can find them, and post (or PM) the link(s) ... I can walk you through it.

Once you learn how to do it, I can then clean up the thread of the off-topic "how to" posts, if you like :shrug:

ven

Flashaholic
Awesome stuff!!! It certainly deserves to be sent to ZL for a fix for all it's been through, that's if no easy fix is found.:cool:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
what are the odds...? other landscapers didn't find it (what color was the paracord? was it still attached?), the original owner of the light does the work on that bush (not a co-worker). i hope that you tossed the battery, though it could be that you didn't get an initial reading because a patina had formed on the contacts while sitting in the mulch. also, did you buy a lottery ticket?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go:

brockrambo.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Impressive. I doubt I'll ever re-discover my Benchmade Panther knife I lost on the subway. Went back immediately for it. But it was gone. That was at least a couple of decades ago. I'd like to think someone with a good heart who needed a good EDC knife found it.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, ZL will fix most of their lights for a flat $15 fee. You'll have to send it in to them, and it takes about a month (give or take a week), but then you'll have your light fixed and back in your pocket where it belongs.