Foursevens Mini Mark II

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't recommend the Ti, it looks great to me with the matte bead blasted finish but the threads grab (microscopic galling?) and make mode changes unreliable. The $18 Turbo Mini MkII is smooth as silk however and makes a great stocking stuffer at the closeout price (which still seems to be available this morning).

I have a product called "titi twister" that is a titanium lubricant made by a CPF member(sorry, blanking on his name). It is black, but eliminates a lot of Ti galling, and makes the Ti Mini MK II much more reliable re : mode changes.

I just had to order one more Mini-Turbo and 3 more 16340's too...

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to confirm, is the non-Turbo Mini Mk II supposed to have an optic with no cover glass? I've got lots of lights with optics, E1B's, EB1's, LX2's etc. but they all have a glass lens in front of the optic.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Yes. I have some other lights with the same optic. I rather like it for an EDC. But also lights up the woods.

buiHdCd.jpg

9SKcFj6.jpg

hk6ecBC.jpg

Moonlight mode MKII and Toxic zombie green Bic.

C4XpFnq.jpg

The optic. No PWM on lower modes but discovered it on high when someone on my YT channel mentioned it does have PWM on one mode. Too high frequency for me to see so just assumed all modes were CC. Moonlight/Low/Med all CC and clear. Here is the optic. No reflector but the Turbo has one.

ITXhHLE.jpg

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Yes. I have some other lights with the same optic. I rather like it for an EDC. But also lights up the woods.
The optic. No PWM on lower modes but discovered it on high when someone on my YT channel mentioned it does have PWM on one mode. Too high frequency for me to see so just assumed all modes were CC. Moonlight/Low/Med all CC and clear. Here is the optic. No reflector but the Turbo has one.

Thanks for the pics Woods Walker! Hey, have you tried the Mini Mk II (non-Turbo) in the 360 headlamp holder? I'm wondering how the optic/beam plays out for headlamp use... just looking at pics and videos that folks have posted, it seems like the beam angle might be on the narrow side for that application -- and I couldn't find beam angle specs for either Mini Mk II on Foursevens website. When you have time, I'd be curious to hear your impressions.

Woods Walker

Thanks for the pics Woods Walker! Hey, have you tried the Mini Mk II (non-Turbo) in the 360 headlamp holder? I'm wondering how the optic/beam plays out for headlamp use... just looking at pics and videos that folks have posted, it seems like the beam angle might be on the narrow side for that application -- and I couldn't find beam angle specs for either Mini Mk II on Foursevens website. When you have time, I'd be curious to hear your impressions.

It has the same optic as the Olight UL 2XAA-and Compass Mini R 1X CR123. I spoke with the manufacturer when reviewing the mini compass as wanted their thoughts on the optic. My impression was the optic had ok spill and more throw than the floody 18650. This allowed me to get more done with a low beam in terms of seeming stuff farther away. When you have 2.59 Wh or 4.5 depending on chemistry sometimes a bit more concentrated (yet still floody) beam is good IMHO. I let them talk first and their reasoning was the same conclusions I found in the field testing. Often using something transcends charts and graphics. I could try it but will have to dig up the box as I think it needs O-rings and there is several sizes to pick from.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Thanks again, ... just watched your review of the Compass Mini headlamp. No need to dig out o-rings :)

EDIT: it seems like the modes are not ideally spaced for close-up, arms-length use. There is a big 20x jump between moonlight and low, and more than a 10x jump between low and medium. If medium was ~100 lumens, and low was correspondingly lower (~10 lumens), it might be better suited for a headlamp. 250 lumens medium seems too bright in a relatively tight beam, and 20 lumens is kind of dim for walking.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

20 lumens in actual use doesn't appear 20 times brighter. This is one reason why many headlamps and flashlight will have a low moon light mode and then jump up much higher (on paper) to the next level. People often complain they can't see the difference between medium or high in some lights as it takes such a big increase to notice in field use. There is the exception. Some users are low level connoisseurs. But that represents a very very small market IMHO. In real use the Mini low mode of 20 or so lumens doesn't appear to much for near work. Well not to me anyways.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Good points re: Logarithmic perceived brightness, etc. To be clear, I wasn't saying that 20 lumens is too much for up close work... rather that it might *not be enough* for walking uneven terrain at night. And 250 lumens as the next mode option is kind of a big jump. It would be nice to have a mode in the middle that would run for 4+ hours or so.

I also realize that beam profile can make a big difference in perceived brightness and suitability for a given task... so my comments are speculation, since I don't own the light :)

Nevertheless, unless someone tells me they are using the Mini Mk II as a headlamp with great success, I will probably steer toward the stainless steel Turbo model and look elsewhere for headlamp options.

Bruno28

Enlightened
I just realised that the Mini MKII has the same TIR optics as the Olight S1 and S1 mini.

I got the Titanium version, its quite nice, but the treads are not smooth at all. The MKII turbo in aluminium is super smooth.
I cleaned the treads, re-applied a low viscus grease with PTFE to the o-ring and a more viscus grease with PTFE to the threads. It got a bit better, but still gritty.

Will it just get better with use and time?

Woods Walker

The optic casts a haze of light beyond the hotpot. It's actually better than one might expect (per my eye) for near activities though its a comprise.

McDXxXt.jpg

warpdrive

Enlightened
I just realised that the Mini MKII has the same TIR optics as the Olight S1 and S1 mini.

I got the Titanium version, its quite nice, but the treads are not smooth at all. The MKII turbo in aluminium is super smooth.
I cleaned the treads, re-applied a low viscus grease with PTFE to the o-ring and a more viscus grease with PTFE to the threads. It got a bit better, but still gritty.

Will it just get better with use and time?

Mine has gotten better with judicious breaking in (ever once in a while I'll twist it back and forth just for the heck of it), it's still gritty but it's easy enough to turn with generous superlubing. I doubt it'll ever be smooth though. The UI is still not totally reliable, it does skip modes still so deliberate twisting is needed. I guess I'm satisfied with it enough but it's a little bit disappointing overall even though it was on clearance ($42 combo+$10 international shipping)

Even though it's the hardest to use out of my three, the rainbow PVD finish is so pretty that it's taking first tour duty as a EDC (have the regular aluminum, and copper autumn which are the backup team).

ven

Flashaholic
HGdNc4ol.jpg

Got one through with a nice £12 customs charge on top(£8 of that is handling) I am still waiting on a black turbo head to arrive which is CW.
Anyway its ti and NW flavour which i am happy with!. Quite nice and easy on the eye. Programming took a little getting use to, but its simple enough. I thought it blinked out 1 to 6, then just lock in at that(on/off) from instructions. Instead it just blinked out 3 flashes, then again 3 flashes etc etc. undo/tighten then you get the next mode etc etc till desired(or how i remember it anyway).

Moon,low,med all fine but i must have seen a flicker in my eye(something must have been noticed) to get the phone out and get up close to the LED. Its not something i do, or certainly not often anyway as i see it as a pointless exercise if my eyes can not detect PWM, why go looking for it(personal opinion). Anyway its there on high of all levels, strange as would have thought detectable on lower levels if at all.........But real hard to detect, so its not a problem for me. In fact, it wont get used on high much anyway(think 15s before steps down), medium level with memory will be its most used amount. Kind of enough amount of light for most close up tasks. The high is super bright, crazy little think this mkII(i like crazy):)

Threads as expected, little gritty, but can operate single handed if required. Love the design on the clip, where it fits in to the tail(cut outs)............think its some nice detail there.
ETBXOAMl.jpg

The beam is just a large spot of usefulness.............i likey!
Random pics
E20r7ZJl.jpg

wFWArInl.jpg

7u64YUZl.jpg

gY2lU6rl.jpg

I think its worth about $30 , I would not be too happy if $60 tbh(then add $15 shipping and £12 customs.............well more than that, as thats based on $30, would be near a $90+ light in total!) but subjective and just my personal opinion.

I dont have much experience with 47 lights, not had that many(think this is my 2nd of soon to be 3). I like them, would like the stainless and cu versions if i ever decide to try and source some. I have seen the ss mkII on the bay, but held off so far. Not sure if to keep this as is, or go for a 219b or 219c triple and better driver.............for now will enjoy it as is i think:)

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been traveling in South Asia with a Mini Mk II Turbo for the past several days. I've got the high-amperage 47's rechargeable battery (with a Nitecore D2 charger), it works great and lasts a long time. :thumbsup:

Plumbing varies considerably once you leave the U.S. and the British style light and 'boiler' switches are often well hidden in my opinion. The tailstand capability on the Mini is very handy for quick bathroom visits and finding a bottle in the host's liquor cabinet. Whenever I get well enough to drink anything stronger than bottled water that is. :barf:

Next stop I will be in a very nice downtown hotel, I'll be able to use the Mini to find all the light switches in the room. By the time I figure out the switches, it's time to leave, right? ;)