Foursevens Preon P0

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Preon P0-SS ... a new 1x AAA light ©2012 by 4Sevens!!!

As I have predicted, this light appears to be an E05 competitor/killer. I was hoping for a higher low and a higher high. I might still buy one if the beam is more floody than the E05.

chris975d

Newly Enlightened

And the tactical pen is "hiding" right in the middle of the main page. $99 though...ouch!

Pre-Order is OPEN!!!

It's on the old 4sevens site at the bottom of the Preon Page!

Happy Shopping!

Jtruck

IRONMANq

Newly Enlightened

Just ordered one. What can I say -- I couldn't resist. :shrug:

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened

As I have predicted, this light appears to be an E05 competitor/killer.

The E05 is rated for 27 lumens at 2 hrs, 50 min. This Preon only does 25 lumens for 1.5 hrs. Could that mean it has better regulation and is able to keep 25 lumens through the entire 1.5 hour runtime? That would be nice!

How about 0.25 lumens? Can anyone give an accurate description of how low that really is? I'm thinking 'Mag Soli with a weak battery' dim???

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not a bad looking little light and the price is right in impulse buy territory. Think I'll hold out to see if he offers a NW version.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

the upper comparative candidates are well regulated:

Klarus AAA XP-G R5, 26lm : 5.7hrs
Revo AAA XP-E R2, 19.8lm : 5.7hrs (Revo is brighter than Klarus, maybe 27lm)
Eagletac 2xAAA XP-E R2, 22lm : 6hrs
Lumintop AAA XP-E R2, 23lm : 6.8hrs
Tiablo AAA XP-G R5, 30lm : 5hrs
iTP AAA XP-E Q5, 18lm : 4hrs
Fenix AAA XP-G R4, 27lm : 2.8hrs
P0 AAA XP-E, 25lm : 1.5hrs

:huh:

TomH

Newly Enlightened

I was expecting more in range of 80 lumens on high. And it has a magnet in the base which is fine unless you carry it near cards with magnetic strips on them like I do - the magnet screws with the magnetic strip. I like the DQG II much better, especially with the GITD tail.

Maybe the new Streamlight Protac 2AAA would be more to your liking. 80 lumens high / 10 lumens low with NO magnet.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=253#

AlphaZen

Enlightened

Well, I like the levels and the size, and if it is reflectorless, the floody beam. I just don't like having to twist several times to get to the usable level. I understand the desire to have a <1 lumen low, and having that come on first, but how many lights have to cater to this. If it's going to, I Prefer the interface of the Thrunite Ti. But for now I'll be sticking with my E05, because this did not 'kill' it for me.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
The Shadow said:
The E05 is rated for 27 lumens at 2 hrs, 50 min. This Preon only does 25 lumens for 1.5 hrs. Could that mean it has better regulation and is able to keep 25 lumens through the entire 1.5 hour runtime? That would be nice!

How about 0.25 lumens? Can anyone give an accurate description of how low that really is? I'm thinking 'Mag Soli with a weak battery' dim???

It's bright enough to mess up your night adapted vision. The .09 lumen on my Sc600w and the .1 lumen on my sc51c are too bright alot of times.
I'm still finding this to be an interesting light. I'll hold out until someone beats one around and posts the results here. If its in the league of the Eiger and LD01 in this area then it only makes sense to add it to my "little light" collection.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

i am only concerned about the tint. the facebook pictures indicate that the tint is very .. ;)

Diablo_331

Enlightened
shelm said:
i am only concerned about the tint. the facebook pictures indicate that the tint is very .. ;)

I will be holding out to see if a neutral comes to be.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Before 4sevens comes and verifies my words, i am quite sure that the runtime we see is on a Alkaline battery, not AAA nimh eneloop like in the test.

BTW preordered.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that at first too, but then alkalines are normally good performers at such low current draws so I'm not sure why that would lower the runtime by much.

It was pointed out to me on BLF that the pictures look as if the light doesn't use a TIR lense, but in fact has a sort of E01 type semi-reflector behind a glass lense which is itself coated with GITD particles, this could also explain why the light looked so even flood in the video of the 4sevens press conference. As this 'semi-reflector' would only be 'semi-reflective' (that sounded good in my head ;) ) however, it would cut off wide angle light from the LED and could lead to the reduced overall lumen output OTF.

shadeone

Newly Enlightened
imagefsb.jpg

jag-engr

Enlightened

Low: 0.25 OTF lumnes (120 hours)
High: 25 OTF lumnes (1.5 hours)
The E05 is rated for 27 lumens at 2 hrs, 50 min. This Preon only does 25 lumens for 1.5 hrs.
This is surprising. I would think that a current regulated light would perform substantially better than a normal light.

And it has a magnet in the base which is fine unless you carry it near cards with magnetic strips on them like I do - the magnet screws with the magnetic strip. I like the DQG II much better, especially with the GITD tail.
I wonder how deep and wide the cut-out is on the tail and how hard the magnet is to remove - perhaps the magnet could be removed and a trit vial could be epoxied in.

It's hard to say exactly what 0.25 lumens looks like, as a lot of manufacturers claim widely different outputs on low, but the outputs are often remarkably similar. However, the MagLight comparison is probably pretty close. It's a definitely a useful level at night, especially for a nightstand light.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some things I like about it, and other things I don't like.
The first thing I'd have to do is dig that magnet out of it somehow.
Second, I'd hope and pray that it comes on in high mode. A quarter-lumen ain't what I have in mind when I turn on my flashlight.

I really like the small size.
I like stainless steel construction.
I like the price range.

As it is, I doubt this could bump my EO5 off my keychain but I'll have a look at it. The smaller size is the lure for me.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E05 is also current regulated, I think the lumen loss is due to the optical design of the P0..

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Second, I'd hope and pray that it comes on in high mode. A quarter-lumen ain't what I have in mind when I turn on my flashlight.

Looks like it comes on LOW.

From their website: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_332&products_id=2846

Operating your Preon P0 is simple. Insert the battery with the positive side (+) toward the head. To turn it on, tighten the bezel (head) fully. The Preon P0 will turn on when the bezel is tightened, and turn off when the bezel is loosened. To switch between High and Low output, turn the Preon P0 off and then on again within 1 second. If the Preon P0 is turned off for 2 seconds or longer, it will revert back to Low.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer!

I understand why they are having it turn on low.
But, I don't have to tiptoe past sleeping babies or wake up a grouchy wife, or worry about being captured behind enemy lines.
I just want a flashlight that lights up when I turn it on.

Looks like the E05 ain't getting bumped off my keychain.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Thrunite TI is .04 lumens and is a nice low low. The .25 lumens is actually a little higher than the Quark Moonlight mode of .2 lumens. Should be a nice light since it is like others have said the idea 2 modes the Thrunight SHOULD have been. Actually I like the .04 lumen low, I just wish the high was 20-30 lumens instead of 60 for the Thrunite.