Foursevens Preon P1 P2 Pass-Around n GAW

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Lights are in the mail as of yesterday. Supposed to arrive on Friday. I will send the tracking number to pc_light and Got Lumens. Long winded review coming. For now I'll just say I was very pleasantly surprised by how good these lights really were, even when compared side by side with lights costing considerably more.

pc_light

Enlightened
The Copper P2's not my thing, a little heavy for EDC but the little black P1 is a gem.

Here is the P1 MkIII alongside my old P1.

UPO4eqp.jpg

I like the multitude of selectable modes groups. The earlier new 47's Preon (MkII?) didn't interest me because their various mode combinations only went from High-to-Low. Prometheus' P1/P2 MkIII offers mode groups that progress in either direction. In addition to the UI upgrade, there's a nice 5K Hi-CRI Nichia emitter, stout clip and silent rubber forward clicky. Definitely new and improved and worth considering.

It might just be time for a refresh.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
dotCPF- I tried toPM you for address, but I think your inbox is full? Perhaps you could PM me the address?

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry all just getting back and settled from my cross-country trip, just got the lights last night, Frodo I will PM you now!

Thanks, thoughts to come soon- these feel like very well made object!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried contacting the next in line as of last Tuesday but I have not yet heard back. I will try to do a little review in the next couple days!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all!

This is my first take at a review, sorry if it is too long, I hope this helps anyone considering these lights.

I've never been too taken by penlights. Normally, there is always some sort of compromise, and more often than not it's multiple. That being said, I was pretty blown away by these lights. Not in the "holy poop this is groundbreaking way", but much more along the lines of holding a Malkoff MD2 for the first time, and just appreciating a well crafted item that works exactly as intended.

Slick and professional are I feel the two most accurate words to describe the new Preon. The quality of the build is immediately obvious, there are no disappointments to be had anywhere in materials or construction. They just feel solid- and that's not just a comment about the deceiving mass of the Copper P2- AAA lights can very easily look and feel quite dinky and flimsy, but there is NO mistaking these for something bought at any hardware store. I think one of the biggest wins of the new MK III Preon is the switch- small switches like this rarely feel good. Even on some of the nicer lights. These feel designed for the Preon, and remind me of a mini FS4. On top of that, it is quite a handsome little fella. The Copper P2 is really quite an object, it's all machined very well.

I didn't get to play around with the UI too much, because it came on the mode I'd leave it in- LMH(T). This is another huge win for the Preon, as most penlights are rather clunky with their UI, and AFAIK very very few have such program-ability. I think that is a huge ace up the Preon Mk III's sleeve, and with it's completely satisfactory low of around 1 lumen, this truly can be a light you leave on you all hours of the day.

Recently, we have been a little spoiled with HCRI lights, even in penlight form. Nevertheless, the Preon mk III delivers a delicious daylight High CRI 5000K beam, a very very lovely pure white. I notice no significant tint and these appear very neutral, I think these LEDs are binned very well. The beam itself is also quite well refined and even, there are no distracting artifacts or shifts. It is great up close, and anything really "household" in distance is doable. Throw? Well on burst, you can see across your yard, but otherwise is much more of a "path" light so you don't trip or stub your toe.

Now, I did get to do some output tests on these, using my TA Lumen Tube. By all accounts my tube should be extremely accurate, margin of error is within 2 lumens I would wager. As such, it will not tell me anything much less than 2 lumens of output. All my Olights read smack on the money, as do HDS and Malkoffs. The following numbers will be ANSI, followed by their (TURN ON) brightness

Preon P1 mkIII [100/ 60/ 15/ 1]
Burst: 97 (100) High: 61 (62) Medium: 12 (12) Low: Did not register as my tube starts reading around 2lm, so 1 lumen appears to be spot on the money.

On burst, output remains steady at 97/98 lumens. At 45s, output drops to 90 lumens. At 1 min, output drops to 82 lumens, where it gradually falls to 60 lumens at 1:30 time-on.

Preon P2 Copper mkIII [210/ 125/ 30/ 1]
Burst: 225 (232) High: 137 (135) Medium: 31 (31) Low: Did not register as my tube starts reading around 2lm, so 1 lumen appears to be spot on the money.

On burst, output drops from 225 ANSI to 210lm @ 45s. It continues to steadily fall to 185lm @ 1:00, 135lm @ 1:30, and 133lm @ 2:00, where it maintains steady output around 134 lumens.

P1 vs P2?

The P2, especially in copper or nickel, is really REALLY cool. I love the section of pure, un-interrupted copper under the clip. I think it's a nice touch and allows you to appreciate the special metal. However, I think the P1 truly outshines it. The P1's output selections are perfect for the size light it is, and the functions in which I typically use such a light. It's size just makes it ridiculously easy to carry, and feels at home in the conference room and in the woodshop. The extra output you get from the P2 isn't worth it to me, because it drops so quickly down to what is very marginally brighter in use than what the P1 runs at. What the P2 is great for I think is the special occasion, it would make an exquisite suit-carry, when you need to dress-up your flashaholism.

The Takeaway?

I wasn't expecting to be wowed (no offense)- but I was (no bullshit). I am going to be buying one or two of these lights, probably both in nickel, because how often do you see a light in nickel, and how often do those lights absolutely rock?! These are truly great flashlights, and some of the greatest pen lights to currently exist on the market IMO, not to mention how extremely outdated they make everything pre-2018 look (and feel!) For the category, I think these are top of the charts.

This is a job extremely well done, bravo Prometheus Lights!

Last edited:

thesnark17

Newly Enlightened
I have received the lights, thanks dotCPF - and nice review! Mine will follow in due time.

thesnark17

Newly Enlightened
I have sent the lights on to Flfrk. They should arrive Friday. Short review: the newest Preons are excellent. The P1 and P2 both have easily accessible burst modes, (unlike my first-production-run examples,) so it appears the bugs are all worked out now. I was surprised by just how well the P2 disappears into a pocket. I will probably buy one sometime, when either the silver or copper is on sale. (Black doesn't appeal to me, or I would have bought one at 20% off the other day. Why only black?...) Longer review with pictures to follow.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
:oops: me bad :ohgeez:

Nitroz has just tried to send you a private message. However, your private messages box on CandlePowerForums has reached the specified quota. In order to receive further private messages, you must delete some messages. Please visit this page to do so:

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
:oops: me bad :ohgeez:

Nitroz has just tried to send you a private message. However, your private messages box on CandlePowerForums has reached the specified quota. In order to receive further private messages, you must delete some messages. Please visit this page to do so:

Thanks!