• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Frelux Synergy1 Passaround

dukeface13

Newly Enlightened
Light arrived yesterday. Sorry for not getting around to updating the thread until now. Will try to post up some pictures and thoughts soon. Can see already I will agree with most of what has been said by the previous two.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Appreciate the write up!

Funny you mention the jeans watch pocket, the light was in fact designed to fit there. Benjamin actually took calipers to a bunch of jeans to make sure the Synergy1 fits in the watch pocket, as a matter of fact he did the same to measure the thickness of jeans and pants to calculate the inner space between the clip and the light.

Wow! It was a great thought on his part!

dukeface13

Newly Enlightened
Finally got around to getting some pictures. https://imgur.com/a/a9rBN02

Some quick thoughts.
Pros:
Built very well
Feels nice in the hand, comfortable to hold
Unique design
Customization
Clip

Cons:
UI
Output
xp-g3 (Nichia avail)

Overall I have really been enjoying the Synergy 1 even more than I expected to. If just a couple changes are made to the light it would be amazing imo. The UI is not great. I understand Benjamin is planning to update this in the future. I would prefer it to have a slightly lower moonlight and maybe for the high to be slightly brighter if possible. Currently mid/low are virtually identical to the eye. A version using 10440 would be interesting as well to me. It also has many things going for it. Especially the price for such a nice piece machined in US compared to many others. It is refreshing to see some new designs coming out. Not just another triple that there are so many versions of. Planning to pick one of these up for the collection in the future. Would love to try the Nichia version out. Thanks to everyone who made this possible! :)

scout24

Flashaholic
Well, I had originally signed up for this passaround after ordering a Synergy, thinking if it didn't arrive quickly, I would at least get to check one out before my order arrived. Well, mine was in the mailbox today. :) Please take my name off the list and let RogerSully and the rest of the crew get to see it quicker!

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM sent to Johnnyh for shipping info. I will do my best to get it out later today!

Here is my full review on the Synergy1:

https://torchconnoisseur.wordpress.com/2018/06/05/frelux-synergy1-review-25-30/

Great review Theodore. I have to say, I particularly enjoyed the part where you pointed out this is a truly unique design. I currently feel that the custom scene a sea of Mac Tri-EDC clones, albeit with fancy machining, fancy materials and a fancy order-of-magnitude higher price tag :rolleyes:

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I know I'm not part of the passaround, but just wanted to pop in with a couple observations. I gave the Synergy the camera test, and find no PWM. I also ran on high for 20 minutes straight last night, and it stayed nice and cool. No heat at all. I think if you adjust expectations downward from the latest pocket melting Triples (which I thoroughly enjoy...) and use the Synergy as a general close range task light, it starts coming into it's own. It's more than enough to walk my pups on their leashes, and for hands free stuff, it's got anti-roll down pat... :) I like it, and will have another one...

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I'm not part of the passaround, but just wanted to pop in with a couple observations. I gave the Synergy the camera test, and find no PWM. I also ran on high for 20 minutes straight last night, and it stayed nice and cool. No heat at all. I think if you adjust expectations downward from the latest pocket melting Triples (which I thoroughly enjoy...) and use the Synergy as a general close range task light, it starts coming into it's own. It's more than enough to walk my pups on their leashes, and for hands free stuff, it's got anti-roll down pat... :) I like it, and will have another one...

Thanks for the thoughts Scout24!

Light is being shipped to QwertzHz by guerrilla154

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review Theodore. I have to say, I particularly enjoyed the part where you pointed out this is a truly unique design. I currently feel that the custom scene a sea of Mac Tri-EDC clones, albeit with fancy machining, fancy materials and a fancy order-of-magnitude higher price tag :rolleyes:

Very very well put together review Bravo

Thanks for the kind words guys! Always cool to see the progression of these pass-around threads and the varying input too.

QwertzHz

Newly Enlightened
Package was delivered yesterday and I'll be able to get to it tonight. Thanks Guerrilla!

QwertzHz

Newly Enlightened
Contacted pc_light for shipping info. Will ship as soon as received, possibly tomorrow.

pc_light

Enlightened
This was my first ever pass-around and I enjoyed being able to play with the Synergy1 for a couple of days. I look forward to the prospect of eventually owning a Frelux. My observations +1 that of others.

From a look and feel perspective it's a beauty. Some serious machining. Fit, finish and in-hand feel are very nice. And the driver and LED emitter are planning to be upgraded for the next release, which make the Synergy1 even more inviting.

I think the Synergy1 deserves a custom driver to go with the custom body/look. Given the body heft, which would function as a substantial heat sink, a higher top end output, even if it were to only be used intermittently would be welcomed. A lower low (ML?) would also extend it's 24x7 EDC potential.

Although I didn't open 'er up. The use of what look like common sized component parts such as the AAA reflector size and use of retaining rings instead of press-fit or gluing, will permit/encourage further user tweaking/customization and/or self-servicing. I think that's an ideal setup.

The synergy1 currently has a reverse clicky installed. On the off chance that Benjamin's considering a "ramping/stepless" type UI, the one's I've used actually function well with single button reverse clickies.

Adding my thanks to Ozythemandias for hosting the pass-around and of course thanks to Benjamin for sharing his creation.

FWIW, here's the Synergy next to my only other 2xAAA format light for size reference.

With that the -
Synergy is gingerly off to n-fetterly.

Last edited: