GatLight V3 - Carbon Fiber / Titanium with Cree XR-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would want an unbonded one myself if anything use gaskets or Orings in order to completely diasemble the pieces, with a mechanical hold together (screws) you can put tension on it to keep it tight.

cryhavok

Enlightened
Any chance we could get a measurement at 1 meter?

It doesn't seem right to have only 850 lux @ 66"...I just tested my S27-PD and it was putting ~1880 lux @ 66"

With the optic I thought it would be a throw monster:huh2:

Edit: Found this page
which has an inverse square law calculator. Entering my values (1880 lux @ 1.68m) it spits out 5300 lux @ 1m which is right about where I am when I take actual readings at 1 m.

Entering 850 @ 1.68m, I get 2400 lux @ 1 meter. Is this right?

Last edited:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a ?? for you Mobile1. What is the blue ring at the base of the optic? I'm guessing its a silcone boot to keep water out of the LE. If we order it unbonded could it be dissassembled and replaced with one made to glow in the dark?:naughty: Like a GITD epoxy ring around leds. Looking amazing so far thanks for going thru the trouble of painting silicone to give us a perfect visual.

mpteach

Enlightened
Wooweee im am speechless. that is Wow.

I have to have this light sign me up.

Does the carbon fiber act as a heat sink? I know carbon fiber can be more thermally conductive than titanium depending on how its made.

Kyle is the TPS63000 (or other buck/boost) cooked up together in a skillet also.. or does this newer recipe call for a convection oven? :)

OH i love titanium. And carbon fiber. And the UI. I must have one of these.

I also passed up the V2. The exposed battery was such a cool concept, really cool, but I had very litle employment between the holidays and i just couldnt justify spending that much on a mere luxeon. This is combo is perfect. Okay maybe some tritium or glow in the dark stuff could be added but we can deal with that later.

Last edited:

Bullzaye

Newly Enlightened
I also have a question...though I kind of hate to ask. I see people requesting certain serial numbers. I don't like to annoy builders with picky minutiae-type questions...but at the same time, I hate to let an opportunity pass me by. So...if at all possible...I'd like to request serial number 40, in both Natural and B&W. If the different colors are not being numbered separately, then 40 and whichever sequential number is available, 39 or 41.
Sorry to trouble you. Thanks.
Tim

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
cryhavok said:
Any chance we could get a measurement at 1 meter?

It doesn't seem right to have only 850 lux @ 66"...I just tested my S27-PD and it was putting ~1880 lux @ 66"

hmm that doesnt seem right... I know lux reading are highly dependent on the light meter used... the only way to get a good comparative rating is by using the same light meter. DiFlorentino did some V2 brightness tests and comparisons to other lights (in the GatLight V2 thread) - however using a Ubin instead of the stock T-bin LED in his V2.

In terms of brightness you'll get the LED output at 1000mA... the optics which claims 85% efficiency... than we probably lose a little bit with the Oring that touches the optics...(the only compromise we were willing to take other than using an optics instead of a reflector) but the difference shouldnt be that much.
Don't know what LED the pd is using... performance of the light should be right up there with the lights using similar setups (current, LED & Optics). I think doing a measurement at 1m might still not be reliable to compare... but if Kyle has some time he might try it.

The silicone ring is not bonded (and is there to keep the water out by creating pressure between the optics and the frame)... so if you unscrew the front you can replace the GlowRing (even when the CF is bonded to the metal)... and by the way if you find us the source for glow rings that match that size.. we'd love to ship'em out as standard. The last time I checked they didnt make it in the size we needed...

Regarding requesting numbers... posting number requests here won't do anything. IF we do custom number assignment (which is a logistical nightmare especialy if we have more than just 1 version and if we decide to number the boxes as well) it would be that you can request it when placing your order... number requests would than be assigned on a first come first serve basis. If we do it. However at this point that is fairly low on the radar... first is getting the production process figured out...

Than regarding anodizing your own colors... remember for the black and white (tuxedo version - like that expression) the bars are still titanium.. the all natural version is all titanium - so annodizing those is a bit of a challenge (but possible there are places around). Also you'd have to make sure to get conductivity.. by roughing up the metal after anodizing where it touches the bars - also check build up to make sure the bars still fit... however the holes can easily be increased by spinning around a slightly smaller drill bit...

Last edited:

kukula

Enlightened
Thank you so much for the updates and the great photos. Happy the first proto unit is up and ready. So does this mean you will start shipping soon? Cant wait :laughing:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking good,

I am still hoping for a Black and Ti Combo.

How many will be avaiable at first?Looking at my I`ll take it post im waay down there on the list :)

Benny

cryhavok

Enlightened
mobile1 said:
hmm that doesnt seem right... I know lux reading are highly dependent on the light meter used... the only way to get a good comparative rating is by using the same light meter. DiFlorentino did some V2 brightness tests and comparisons to other lights (in the GatLight V2 thread) - however using a Ubin instead of the stock T-bin LED in his V2.

In terms of brightness you'll get the LED output at 1000mA... the optics which claims 85% efficiency... than we probably lose a little bit with the Oring that touches the optics...(the only compromise we were willing to take other than using an optics instead of a reflector) but the difference shouldnt be that much.
Don't know what LED the pd is using... performance of the light should be right up there with the lights using similar setups (current, LED & Optics). I think doing a measurement at 1m might still not be reliable to compare... but if Kyle has some time he might try it.

I appreciate the quick reply. The PD uses a Seoul P4 U-bin led driven at 525ma behind a 27mm reflector. I agree that lux readings do vary with different light meters, but I've seen at least 1 other confirmation of >5000 lux@1 meter, so I don't think the variance is too great, at least between my LM and the other person's. Perhaps Kyle's LM really low-balls the values?

A cree behind an optic at 1000ma should be smokin :grin2::rock: Does the optic puts out a large hotspot, like KL3? That may account for the low numbers. I'd love to see a beamshot against a common light.

Does anyone have a gatlight V2 and can take a lux@1m reading?

Bullzaye

Newly Enlightened
Mobile1,
Thanks for the reply concerning serial #s. I understand completely that it is a very low priority and could create a logistical problem. As I'd said, I just hated to not say anything and end up potentially losing out on the serial # I'd hoped to get. Now I don't have to worry about it...
Tim

M.TEX

Enlightened
Is it possible to get a Al/Ti without HIII ? Any diference on price ?

Please let me know.

The cheap, M.TEX :grin2:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
So below is a beamshot. And if you click on this video link (or into the beamshot picture) you can see the multiple brightness levels and clicky switch in action.

v3final3.JPG

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
C'mon your killing me here let me buy it already. My birthday is in March what are my chances of having a Ti one by then?

Status
Not open for further replies.