luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recieved mine yesterday :rock:!
Awesome machining and precision.
Very impressed, great job! :twothumbs.

gat.jpg

sanbenny999

Newly Enlightened
V3 Ti Gatlight SN 117 arrived safely in Taiwan (8/06):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:kiss::kiss:

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aw man, my tuxedo has not only a very low low but also a very low high!

It´s LED is rated with 240 lumens, so the light should produce about 150 lumens, right? I have a Pila GL2 and just updated it with a Pila Cree emitter which is rated with 120 lumens. You can hardly tell the Gatlight is on when I shine both lights (gatlight on high of course). I guess my gatlight V3 produces about 40 lumens on high. I´ll try to clean it and hopefully it was just the same reason that caused the flickering on other V3s.

I received a free dinoflagellates as well ;) .

Eric

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recieved mine aswell,looks great.

I also have a whole colony of dust and grime under my Optic and the output is not very impressive.Arent these driven at around 1000mA?

My other Cree/Seoul based light seem brighter example:
Surfire L1 Cree,Fenix P2D,27LT-S to name a few.

All in all a great product,smoother than the V2 brightness knob better finish,but still not perfect.And a dust free enviroment when assembling would have been nice.

My V2 was clean behind the optic,so what gives?
I see lots of people complaing about the flaggelates ;)

Sending it back is to much trouble,I`ll flush the flaggelates out of there myself.But feel this could have been avoided by caring a bit more when assembly was happening.

Benny

weedle256

Newly Enlightened
Tux #207 arrived home safe and sound. Good thing I was 'sick' today :sssh:

Now we just need the sun to go down for a while :whistle:

hord

Newly Enlightened
Tux #269 Arrive down-under yesterday.. in one piece & without import fees!!! I have spent a lot of time marveling at the machining work... it is about 2/3s the size that I had pictured in my mind! Very impressive!

As far as brightness goes... its very good but the optic must be robbing it of some efficiency as my seoul modded HDS B42 out shines it by about 25% (as far as throw goes)... but the Tux does give a much wider spill! One thing though is that the HDS is only sucking down ~650ma on high compared to the ~1000ma of the Tux!

The fact that it is well up there with my brightest LED's is awesome, as I bought the Gatlight first & formost for its clever engineering & cutting edge design!

On primary CR123's you can turn the light off by twisting the knob all the way in (as well as the on/off switch) but on rechargables you have to use the switch. Also I have found that the driver seems to surge the brightness as you turn the knob (i.e. once you stop turning it dims slightly). I have been busy trying to figure out all the little details of the light and I appreciate the design more & more!

I must say a Huge THANK YOU to the creators of this light as it has exceeded my expectations by a large margin! Awesome stuff!!

Cheers Harvey

knot

Banned
Man, this is the most beautiful light creation I've ever seen. I'm really into high tech and art fusion.

I'm waiting for an affordable plastic version. :(

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my Tux, according to the DHL's tracking, has been sitting in their distribution center since Friday morning... :thumbsdow

It's only 10 miles from my shipping address, and as of a few minutes ago there has been no attempt made to deliver it. The estimated delivery is now tomorrow. So I hope the boys at DHL had a good 'ol time playing with my light for 4 days. And god help them if its not delivered tomorrow.
:sigh:

I'm gonna be really pissed if I have to drive all the way from my residence (which is not my shipping address) to go pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys here are some answers to the recent posts:

Current
On Primaries: The G3 run at about 600+mA (to the LED) - you can't really pull more out of a single 123 for more than 2min so running it higher on primaries does not make much sense. Now with rechargeables you get 1,000 however with the risks described in an earlier post.

Eric: First wipe off the lubricant on the knob. If you still think the G3 has a significantly lower max brightness than 600mA Seoul P4 should deliver, please send us back the light and we'll look at it first priority when we get it. I'll pm you the details. What you're describing seems not right.

Hord - you compared currents between HDS (650) and G3 (1000) - you'd need to measure watts the light pulls out of the battery to get a reliable answer in regards to efficiency.

Morpheus:Regarding the Flagellates:
For the V3 we have been using the new facilities of the machine shop. They did an excellent job with machining but we didnt realize that their assembly facilities and processes need improvement which we realized after the first 2 shippments already went to the warehouse. We have taken steps to correct this issue. Fortunately its something that can be fixed easily, but shoudn't be.

Rudi

Enlightened
On primary CR123's you can turn the light off by twisting the knob all the way in (as well as the on/off switch) but on rechargables you have to use the switch. Also I have found that the driver seems to surge the brightness as you turn the knob (i.e. once you stop turning it dims slightly).

I have to use the switch to turn it all the way off even with a primary. Mine also momentarily overshoots the brightness when adjusting up, even in the low range, unless the adjustment is made very slowly.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oi :faint:

I can understand it not getting shipped out on friday because of turn-around, etc in their facility... but they seem to think they're government workers (no offense to any, I've worked for county before) and it's a sin or something to work on a day that begins with "S." But c'mon? why didn't they make an attempt today? :mad: :hairpull:

Perhaps I"m just :dedhorse:
I tend to be grumpy when I don't get what I want.:whistle:
Oh and I like using smilieys. Sorry to vent on your thread Walter and Kyle. I should be back to happy tomorrow.

jrv

Newly Enlightened
I received Tux #211 and Ti #64 today. Neither have any dust behind the optic.

As for brightness - you have to be careful what you're looking for. As for "throw", or center-axis flux, my 1W Luxeon Streamlight 4AA easily out-throws it. Then again, that 1W Luxeon out-throws almost *every* Cree or SSC light unless it has a big turbo head - it's the head that gives you the high-flux spot, not the emitter.

The Gatlight has a smaller head (the optic is much smaller yet) and it illuminates a larger area. For me it looks fine, with a nice white spot (as opposed to the Luxeon's greenish tint!), and the spot it large enough to be useful within a few feet (no constant panning because the spot is too small).

Someone with an integrating sphere might try to measure the actual light output but that's hard to do.

If your goal is the highest-flux spot then get a Lumapower MRV. For me the goal is strongly to be unique *and* functional as a general-purpose near-field light, and the Gatlight seems to satisfy that nicely.

I'm compare it over the next few days to my HDC; no real criticisms yet.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just cleaned the knob and put a fresh SF CR123 in the light and output increased dramatically :)

Output is great now.

Benny

freewheelin'

Enlightened
Got by far the most beautiful light I've ever seen, very functional for me. Since I was prewarned I wiped off a lot of grease and only had a tiny bit of flickering and only at the highest end with the delivered primary. If there's ever another anodizing run it will be done in TiN and become a pendant. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting 2 at preorder price, but then again I've already set that amount aside for the V4 in whatever its configuration. Especially if its an N cell, that would really be pendant size.

Again beautiful design and craftmanship.

Thanx for a great light,

Mike

P.S. I also got very lucky and got SN 004 and my Bulky Dragon thats coming is SN 04.

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eric: First wipe off the lubricant on the knob. If you still think the G3 has a significantly lower max brightness than 600mA Seoul P4 should deliver, please send us back the light and we'll look at it first priority when we get it. I'll pm you the details. What you're describing seems not right.
Thanks for your reply and your PM Walter! I am definitly going to clean it up, hopefully that´s all my V3 needs. Either way I´ll let you know.

Eric

The Coach

Enlightened
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one not satisfied with the shipping process, but my complaint is with the fulfillment company. I thought the shipment would come from Calif., so I chose 2 day shipping. The package was shipped from Ohio by DHL ground service. I wouldn't have been so disappointed if they had just sent it the way I chose, even though it still got here in 2 days.
On the plus side, I do like the light. No complaints there.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Walter,

I just cleaned up the knob and the threads on the inside and it looks much better now. My Gatlight V2 and V3 are the only lights I own using optics instead of reflectors. Since I have no opportunity to compare them against other optics I just took a beamshot with my L5 and GL2. Both Gatlights as well the Pila are powered with the same type of 3.6V RCR123 fresh from the charger, the L5 with fresh primaries. Distance to the wall is about 15". L5 is rated with 100 lumens, GL2 with 120 lumens.

beam1.jpg

gatlightbeam.gif

What do you think, V3 looks ok now? The picture is underexposed, otherwise it would just have been six much too bright/white spots, no corona. The GL2´s spot still looks brighter (that´s not coming through in the picture).

Thank you
Eric

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
276 regarding the tailcap - we want every light to be perfect.... I can send you a new tailcap... than you can send me the old one back. Let me know if you wanna do that, and send me your shipping address to infos at gatlight.com mention tailcap so I know what to do and can reference it with your post here...

Sasha: We'll have it resolved by the 10th. Thanks for the advanced notice.
i know i sent u an email but was curious if u got my address from the email i sent www.gatlight.com regarding my tailcap issue??

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I just want to add my 2 cents worth. I received a Ti V3 today from Walter and it is certainly a sight to behold and an item to fondle! I recall early cad renditions of the GatLight and thinking what a challenge that would be to bring to market. Well the V3 is so much more than the original design and more difficult to pull off. This is a piece of functional art and a design worthy of contemplation and appreciation. :twothumbs

The UI is friendly and intuitive and all in the rear! :) (some reason it reminds me of those German cars from Ferd & Ferry)

I am not a strong proponent of TIR optics but the GatLight presents the optic in such a cool and naked fashion that it is a natural and should be considered a model example for TIR optics.

The term of an "executive light" is already taken unfortunately because that is what I think when I look at this light and its presentation case. No matter, the GatLight is the light any CEO in the know would have proudly on their desk and at their service when needed.

One aspect of the original light that I didn't care for was the exposed CR123. The carbon fiber battery shroud on this light is just the right touch, IMHO.

To Walter and team, great engineering and execution of a novel design! :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.