GE BrightStik led

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Still not in stock last time I visited the local Home Despot. Might source some at the same time I grab some replacement fixtures for the MBR - the faux brass has got to go and the CFL's will go with them.

frank70

Newly Enlightened
Still not in stock last time I visited the local Home Despot.
Funny, my HD in PA has 915 packages staring you in the face as soon as you enter the door, and they've been there since June (not the same 915!) I bought a couple boxes and even have one each in my refrigerator and freezer. Perceptually, they seem even brighter than 800 lumens (Basic Bulb, with Bright Stik side by side), probably because of the 2850 CCT.

markr6

Flashaholic
Funny, my HD in PA has 915 packages staring you in the face as soon as you enter the door, and they've been there since June (not the same 915!) I bought a couple boxes and even have one each in my refrigerator and freezer. Perceptually, they seem even brighter than 800 lumens (Basic Bulb, with Bright Stik side by side), probably because of the 2850 CCT.

Same here. BTW I don't really understand their product placement. The entire bulb isle is fairly well organized. But some bulbs, like the GE Stik, used to be totally hidden on a small stack in the light switch/wiring isle! Now they are out front. And the Cree TW candelabra bulbs, which are a great value (but didn't work for my specific application) were thrown in the back by ceiling fans/lights in a dirty corner where they park a fork lift and a bunch of junk/returns.

I guess there's just so many LED brands and styles it's hard to organize them.

jthj

Newly Enlightened
My HD does the same thing with whatever the "new" bulb is. And they usually have 0 of them in the actual light bulb isle where someone there specifically to buy light bulbs might look for them.. I get having them in displays through out the store to drive impulse buys but putting all of them in those locations makes no sense to me.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Same here. BTW I don't really understand their product placement. The entire bulb isle is fairly well organized. But some bulbs, like the GE Stik, used to be totally hidden on a small stack in the light switch/wiring isle! Now they are out front. And the Cree TW candelabra bulbs, which are a great value (but didn't work for my specific application) were thrown in the back by ceiling fans/lights in a dirty corner where they park a fork lift and a bunch of junk/returns.

I guess there's just so many LED brands and styles it's hard to organize them.
HD does weird things with light bulb placement. When the Cree bulb first came out, it was on an endcap facing the store entrance for some time before migrating to the bulb aisle where it was always being jostled by Philips and the HD house brand. When the 4Flow came out, it lived on a middle-of-aisle display for some time before migrating to the bulb aisle. New Philips products seem to alternate between high-visibility endcaps and prominent placement at the beginning of the bulb aisle. New GE products ... just seem to get slotted wherever someone else isn't paying for placement.

Back on topic, if the GE 'Stik was at my local HD at all, it was supremely well-concealed and I missed it. GE's other LED product placement on the bulb aisle is literally bottom shelf in a frame with an identity crisis - CFL, non-ballasted floro, halogen, incandescent, HPS, MH, Mercury-vapor, and kind of lastly the LED bulbs.

frank70

Newly Enlightened
Back on topic, if the GE 'Stik was at my local HD at all, it was supremely well-concealed and I missed it. GE's other LED product placement on the bulb aisle is literally bottom shelf in a frame with an identity crisis - CFL, non-ballasted floro, halogen, incandescent, HPS, MH, Mercury-vapor, and kind of lastly the LED bulbs.
Have you tried going here - http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60W-E...t-Stik-light-bulb-3-Pack-LED10S3-96/205783754
and then "Change Pick Up Store" to your local store? If they have any in stock at all, it should show the number and where to find them in the store.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Have you tried going here - http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60W-E...t-Stik-light-bulb-3-Pack-LED10S3-96/205783754
and then "Change Pick Up Store" to your local store? If they have any in stock at all, it should show the number and where to find them in the store.
Shows them to be in stock at the local store after all. Perhaps they saw fit to hide them on the door hardware aisle. Or maybe the pesticide aisle. Or maybe they're still on the truck given the lack of a specified location. No matter - I need to determine how ambitious the previous occupants were when it came to putting up wallpaper before buying new fixtures.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, GE decided to go with 2850K for the warm white version of their Bright Stik LED bulb, halfway between the usual 2700K and 3000K common to other LED bulbs. This is a rather unusual offering, but I believe it was a good design decision. 2850K is actually closer to the real color temperature of a "normal" incandescent bulb, and is what I believe most people would feel most comfortable with.

Some might say this is slicing hairs, but there really is a substantial difference going from 2700K to 3000K. Towards the lower range of color temperatures, a smaller numerical shift makes much more of a difference, because as the value goes below about 3000K, the light begins to shift to orange very rapidly. (conversely, there's not much difference between 7000K and 8000K)

In my personal opinion, 2700K is too orange, while on the other hand 3000K can, in some situations, feel just a little more bright white than is ideal, and is not as "soft". The fact that LEDengin also made a 2850K version, in addition to 2700K and 3000K options, of their Gallery White emitter for museum use lends credence to the notion that 2850K really is the optimal target color temperature for replicating the feel of incandescent lighting. 3000K has a different color/feel, that's really more the territory of halogen MR16 reflector bulbs, such as one might find in lively upscale urban restaurants.

Of course, color temperature is just one aspect of the light, there's also color tint; the color tint of the light from some of these cheap LED bulbs, while not terrible, can still have a slightly unnatural "pinkish" tinge, just feels a little off.

I agree. The difference between these GE's @ 2850 vs many others at 2700 is quite noticeable, and very much appreciated. I think GE did a great job with this little bulb. I am looking forward to more of these in dimmable and higher wattage versions, eventually. They also look cool IMHO in bare, upside down applications, like closet lights.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Finally sourced some, which enabled the purchase of ~$100 worth of fixtures. Coming soon: more builder-grade faux brass fixtures to donate to charity!

Build quality isn't anything to write home about, but these aren't supposed to go in the crystal chandelier in your great room. 5000K is operating-room white. 2850K is shockingly right between 2700K and 3000K (makes you wonder why they don't just make a 3000K).

JoakimFlorence

Newly Enlightened
GE HD light "Reveal"

I just noticed that GE came out with a "HD light" bulb. About 90 CRI, and they come in three different color temperatures: 2700K, 2850K, and 5000K. Yeah, kind of unusual to be offering a 2850K option. Unfortunately the 2850K option doesn't seem to have the best tint, a little pink, if that bothers anyone. The 2700K has great tint though.

I'm wondering if maybe they just cheated and combined 2700K with 3000K emitters inside to be economical. That could be a potential explanation for the slight off tint, since the line between the two points on a black body curve, if you look at a chromaticity diagram, is slightly below the curve.

The 5000K one has the same tint as any other 5000K LED bulb.

They're using the marketing names "Relax", "Reveal", and "Refresh" for the 3 different color temperature options. I don't know, the 2850K option is named "Reveal" so maybe they thought it was supposed to be slightly tinted. (The Reveal trademark name is apparently supposed to be evocative of the original bluish-tinted neodymium glass light bulbs)

markr6

Flashaholic
Re: GE HD light "Reveal"

I just noticed that GE came out with a "HD light" bulb. About 90 CRI, and they come in three different color temperatures: 2700K, 2850K, and 5000K. Yeah, kind of unusual to be offering a 2850K option. Unfortunately the 2850K option doesn't seem to have the best tint, a little pink, if that bothers anyone. The 2700K has great tint though.

I'm wondering if maybe they just cheated and combined 2700K with 3000K emitters inside to be economical. That could be a potential explanation for the slight off tint, since the line between the two points on a black body curve, if you look at a chromaticity diagram, is slightly below the curve.

The 5000K one has the same tint as any other 5000K LED bulb.

They're using the marketing names "Relax", "Reveal", and "Refresh" for the 3 different color temperature options. I don't know, the 2850K option is named "Reveal" so maybe they thought it was supposed to be slightly tinted. (The Reveal trademark name is apparently supposed to be evocative of the original bluish-tinted neodymium glass light bulbs)

I really like the Reveal bulbs. Only 680lm but that may have been improved my now. I have them in some lamps and they are a nice clean white compared to everything else around them in that room. Compared to some other brands at 3000K - TOTALLY different tint, so it makes the CCT look far off.

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened

I just purchased a 2-pack each of the 5000k "refresh" 800lm and 2850k "reveal" 1140lm bulbs. They were $4.97 and $21.97 respectively at a central Iowa Home Depot.

I agree that the "reveal" bulbs have a pink tint. It's more than I prefer so they're going back. Color rendition seems great.

The "refresh" bulbs are nice. They're less blue than my 800lm 1st gen Cree 5000k bulbs. They're noticeably brighter as well- could just be the relative age of the bulbs.

Now for a negative: 120hz flicker isn't the greatest. It's not the worst I've seen either. It's low enough that I can't perceive it but I'll need to be careful where I place these new GE bulbs.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I saw a Reveal LED bulb next to another 2700k bulb (illuminated) in an endcap display at a Home Depot. The Reveal bulb had a purplish tint compared to the other one. Not sure what's going on there, but it turned me off to those bulbs.

JoakimFlorence

Newly Enlightened

I saw a Reveal LED bulb next to another 2700k bulb (illuminated) in an endcap display at a Home Depot. The Reveal bulb had a purplish tint compared to the other one. Not sure what's going on there, but it turned me off to those bulbs.
Yeah, it's too bad. 2850K, 90 CRI, and cheap, if only these did not have an off tint.

To be fair, I did read someone left a review where they said they actually liked the pink tint of this "Reveal" bulb, they think it helps compensate for the unnatural yellowish cast of LED light (which I can sort of understand). I suppose it could just be a matter of personal preference to some degree.

MattPete

Newly Enlightened

I've been playing with a Soraa par30 for the past week or so, and one of my initial thoughts was that GE should license Soraa's technology and release it under the Reveal name.

I have a neodymium glass bulb (same technology as Reveal incandescents) in my clothes closet and a regular incandescent in a downllght right outside the closet. I can take a striped shirt and as I pass it in and out of the closet doorway, I can watch the stripes change from white to yellow and back to white as bring the shirt back inside the closet. Whites look whiter because the neodymium glass filters out the the yellows given off by the incandescent filament:

reveal.jpg

However, when I tried the Soraa in my closet, the immediate effect was "wow!". Compared to the Reveal, colors looked much more natural (that's the trade-off with Reveal: less yellow, but in some ways colors look less natural). In addition the whites were WHITE. Apparently the violet emitter causes whites to fluoresce…and that somehow makes the whites appear whiter without affecting the other colors.

The problem with just using a yellow filter, like neodymium glass, as these new Reveal HD+ LED bulbs appear to do, is that it kills efficiency. The yellows that they are carving out are close to the peak of the photopic spectral sensitivity curve (right hand curve):

spectral-luminous-efficiency-function.jpg

I think it would have made more sense to add a separate violet emitter (as Lumileds have done with their CrispWhite Technology). That's got to be far more efficient than throwing away part of the spectrum.

P.S. The photopic curve is the weighting function used to calculate lumens.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Interesting. Thanks for the graphs.

Back around 2006-2007, G-E was working on an LED lamp based on a 405nm violet chip that they were calling Vio-LED. It looks like they've abandoned that project. Looking at this article about it, there wasn't anything spectacular about the CRI of 75-85, at least by today's standards. I wonder if they cold have brought this to maturity and improved on this.

MattPete

Newly Enlightened

Here's the spectrum of a Lumileds Crispwhite. My understanding is that its a normal blue-driven phosphor led with a violet led added into the package:

normalized-spd-graph.png

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Interesting. I didn't know about the LumiLEDs CrispWhite product. So it looks like some ~410nm energy escapes through the LED. I can see how this can activate the fluorescent dye in white fabrics.

iamhacked

Newly Enlightened

On the topic of GE bulbs, why are their CFLs so bad? I bought their CFLs from Walmart not a year ago, and every single one of them has failed since. They usually only last few months with regular usage. They all have burnt marks at the ballast when they fail, and it's not even because it was used in an enclosed fixture.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic

On the topic of GE bulbs, why are their CFLs so bad? I bought their CFLs from Walmart not a year ago, and every single one of them has failed since. They usually only last few months with regular usage. They all have burnt marks at the ballast when they fail.

The last of my 2002-vintage GE's died last year. I paid something like $10 each for those and used them in 3 separate residences. They started up fast (something like <5s to full brightness), had decent color rendition, and easily hit their rated 8000-hour lifespans.

But the market was used to the $0.50 incandescent, so the manufacturers started finding ways to make them cheaper. Eventually they started cutting into the quality and durability until they had a product that was almost as cheap as an incandescent (and only marginally longer-lasting).

I started switching to LED years ago because I was interested in the technology and because CFLs were getting so terrible.