Getting a Surefire 6P incandescent. Should I buy a dropin or just buy another light?.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Getting a Surefire 6P incandescent. Should I buy a dropin or just buy another l

The AW 17670 protected with 1600 mAh is a good compromise and provides a quick way to get started modding and legoing your 6P.

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Re:

I was hellbent on getting my C2 bored but after trying 17670 cells im sticking with that program. Works great with my Malkoff M61 dropin. Pretty good runtime.
Its a good alternative to boring for 18650.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

You mention multiple modes, and you like white beams.

You could try:
a Malkoff M361 neutral (three modes, can only run on one rechargeable)
a Nailbender or Vinhnguyen P60 neutral drop in (multiple modes of your choice)
a Malkoff M61NL or LL (one mode, but throwy enough while giving you good battery life and the option of either rechargeables or primaries)

Give the 6P a shot. I love mine.

nathan225

Newly Enlightened
Re:

I would just get the malkoff drop in. I am planing to get one my self right away I have the same light as you and the incan lamp

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

or you could try a Nichia 219 drop in - high CRI but 4500K CCT. I know Malkoff makes them (I have one of those) but only single mode and I think Nailbender does as well. Not sure if Vinh offers them or not. But it is a real nice emitter.

Fink

Newly Enlightened
I actually kind of like my old 6P incandescent. I'm sure it's more nostalgia than anything, but I still like the little thing.

I have a P2X Fury waiting for me at home that I'm pretty stoked about, as well as a G2X Nitrolon. Nothing too special, but I'm pretty stoked about the Fury.

Great info in this thread about the drop-ins and such. Still have a lot of reading to do, though. :D

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

busseguy

Enlightened
Okay. I have decided to get a Malkoff dropin for long runtime.

Is there a malkoff dropin that will have like 200 lumens with atleast 4 hours runtime?.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting a Surefire 6P incandescent. Should I buy a dropin or just buy another l

Malkoff M61L gives 175 lumens for 5 hours with a long taper thereafter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
M61L comes pretty close to what you want, spec'd at 5 hours full brightness runtime and I think 175 lumens. M61 is brighter at the expense of runtime, and M61LL is dimmer with longer runtime. There's also warm tint and Nichia 219 available, if I'm understanding the product line correctly the runtime would be the same but the brightness may be slightly less on those versions. (when I asked Craig @ illumination supply about the M61 219 series, because I didn't see specs on them, he gave me approximate lumens figures and said all the other specs were the same as the corresponding M61 models, which makes me think that a M61 and M61 219 have the same driver, M61L and M61L 219 have the same driver, etc.)

busseguy

Enlightened
Re: Getting a Surefire 6P incandescent. Should I buy a dropin or just buy another l

Malkoff M61L gives 175 lumens for 5 hours with a long taper thereafter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cool. I figure I will just get a dedicated thrower for throw later on.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Malkoff M61 L provides very long runtimes and is available from different vendors in different flavors. M61L and M61L W from Malkoff. M61L N from Oveready. M61L Nichia 219 from Illumination Supply. The only downside, which is very minor, is that you'll only have 1 mode in the 6P (no hi/lo ring). The Malkoff dropins are rock solid and good performers.

Quick points on batteries. 18650, 16340, 17670: The first 2 digits refer to the diameter and the next 2 digits are the length. The Malkoff dropins are regulated but do not have low voltage warnings or cutoff. Once voltage is below regulation, the runtime curve has a long tapper. Use a protected cell to prevent over discharge, which is a no-no with li-ions. But don't wait for the cell to cut-off - you can/should recharge the cell when it drops below 3.8. There is no magic number - some people top off the cell at 3.9 and some people wait to 3.5. The key to safety and long useful life of the cell is not to let it over discharge. Li-ions don't have memory and it is not bad to top them off frequently.