Giveaway Thread (general info)

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I am in for the Thrunite TN35

Thanks a ton Doc! The Thorfire arrived just fine and I've been playing around with it. It's a nice little light! The PWM is a bit of a nuisance, but the high mode is decently bright and the build quality is solid. The knurling isn't as aggressive as I like ( I like the more aggressive knurling on my Thrunite Ti3, for example) but it is solid in the hand and its enough to give a little extra grip. It fits well in the "tech pocket" of my cargo shorts and is a lot lighter than I expected. I might write up a more complete review later.
For those of you that like video games, check this site out. It can be an amazing way to build up a collection for little money, and supports charity. Deals change so one week might have a collection of unknown indie titles, and the next might have some AAA titles. Not long ago there was a bundle for Borderlands 1&2 with all DLC for $15!
https://www.humblebundle.com/

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been following this as well, Reddit is a great place to keep track of this amazing mission. It is sad to think that the next nearest thing is over 20.000 times further away from earth, so it is going to be at least 300 years before it encounters anything. 300 years ago we didn't even have electricity, now we are making pictures of planets and sending it at the speed of light towards earth, and it still takes 5 hours!

Which space thing are you talking about that is 20k times further than the distance to Pluto? Another solar system?

Have you watched the pretty recent version of the series "Cosmos" with Neil deGrasse Tyson? It's so mind-blowing. He also has a series of lectures on space/time/the Universe on Netflix. Very interesting. Also interestingly, I think in the past 5-10 years something that has made a lot of people aware of general concepts about how big the universe is are certain video games. I played the Mass Effect games a few years ago and what struck me most was how some of the concepts of interstellar and intergalactic space were visualized. This was an interesting thread on Reddit's askreddit page that came up recently. There are a lot of really good universe/time/life concepts and thoughts mentioned there. One of my favorites is the Fermi Paradox. The YT channel Kurtzgesagt did a really awesome video (actually I think it's a 2 part video) on that:

Also check out their video on life/death.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I am in for the Thrunite TN35"

I rescued a 6 week old kitten a couple weeks ago:
kvjlwYo.png

Nitetime

Newly Enlightened
I am in for the Thrunite TN35.
If I win, this will be my first multi cell 18650 light. I own an Armytek Predator and a Zebralight SC600, so I am familiar with single cell 18650 lights, but this would totally blow them away.
Thank you for the opportunity. [emoji41]

Last edited:

dragonhaertt

Newly Enlightened
Which space thing are you talking about that is 20k times further than the distance to Pluto? Another solar system?

I don't remember exactly what thing (I think I looked up the closest solar system) but I remember doing the calculation for how long it would take the New Horizons to get there. It was over 300 years.

Guess what I did today, bought some random 2 mm weed killer wire and stuffed them in my (not really) paracord. It is actually climbing rope (4mm) and I found that the sheath is not as solid as paracord sheath. I had a hard time inserting the wire but with a filed off top (no nicks or bumps) I managed to do it. Have 2 coils ready to cook after dinner and will post some pictures later tonight when they are done. :rock:

les_garten

Newly Enlightened

I can really use this light to find this critter below.

During the day, it's easy, he's lounging around the pool drinking RUM Punch.

But at night he's whereabouts unknown hunting possums and coons!

Danny_800.gif

naked2

Enlightened
I finally watched the paracord video; brilliant! I'd really like to make one heavy-duty enough to use as a long gun tether. When wearing a tactical vest, a tether can replace a single point sling. It connects between a D-ring on the vest (usually on a shoulder), and a single point sling mount on the firearm.

I would need to use something other than electrical connectors made of aluminum-clad copper, i.e.- stainless steel.

Anyone know where to find something like that?

dragonhaertt

Newly Enlightened
I would need to use something other than electrical connectors made of aluminum-clad copper, i.e.- stainless steel.

What I did is shape the cord to make a loop at the end. Some heavy duty sewing thread and melting the ends together will make a small loop that is as strong as the tether. This will allow you to directly attach it to a split ring or carabiner.
I am going to cover it up with some heat shrinking. Will post the pics later tonight when I have everything finished ;)

naked2

Enlightened
To connect directly to a clip, carabineer, etc. would be ideal. I too thought of that, but was worried bending the trimmer line back over itself would weaken it. Patiently waiting to see pics of your finished product!

Thanks
Tony

dragonhaertt

Newly Enlightened
To connect directly to a clip, carabineer, etc. would be ideal. I too thought of that, but was worried bending the trimmer line back over itself would weaken it. Patiently waiting to see pics of your finished product!

I couldn't manage to melt them together, but I sewn them together with metal wire, added industrial glue and a heatshrink over top.
This should be strong enough for my purposes. I would be a bit more patient and get a proper way of attaching the ends if I had to hang a firearm on the end though.
Here is a link to the pictures! http://imgur.com/a/m2cqX
I haven't reversed the coil on itself yet like in the video, so they are still quite loose, I kinda like the look this way.

HighCaliber

Newly Enlightened
I'd really like to make one heavy-duty enough to use as a long gun tether. When wearing a tactical vest, a tether can replace a single point sling. It connects between a D-ring on the vest (usually on a shoulder), and a single point sling mount on the firearm.

For something like this, I would look at Amsteel Blue instead of 550 cord. You could make locked brummels (?sp) and then feed the weed eater string through to create the spring effect. This stuff is super strong and used in Hammock suspensions. Definitely more secure.

http://youtu.be/ygCS1FI1gsw

PapaLumen

Enlightened
I am in for the Thrunite TN35.

I'll just leave this here. A light hearted poke at Chinese consumerism.

UltimateWeaponsPlatform.jpg

Oh, and lol at the nipped cat ;)

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened

The elephant bird which is thought to have only gone extinct about 300 years ago weighed up to 1000 lbs and stood 10 feet tall, and were only found in Madagascar! They also have the title for heaviest bird egg ever found weighing in at about 22 lbs!

naked2

Enlightened
I couldn't manage to melt them together, but I sewn them together with metal wire, added industrial glue and a heatshrink over top.
This should be strong enough for my purposes. I would be a bit more patient and get a proper way of attaching the ends if I had to hang a firearm on the end though.
Here is a link to the pictures! http://imgur.com/a/m2cqX
I haven't reversed the coil on itself yet like in the video, so they are still quite loose, I kinda like the look this way.
Great idea, making the loop BEFORE boiling! I have some Cadmium plated steel crimp sleeves I can use instead of the metal wire/glue, and then finish off with shrink tubing as well. Whenever I finally get one made, I'll test the finished product's strength, and report back here.

Thanks again!
Tony