Gladius for CHEAP

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Striker-VG is quite renowned for its beefy throw. However, some units have issues with misshapen beams. It doesn't happen with every unit, but it sounds like there's a reasonable chance for it.

If you don't mind the size and low coolness factor, FR's highest-throwing LED is Dorcy's LuxIII lantern. It's a LuxIII SE Star in a huge reflector. The beam is pretty ringy, but throws and throws. I might get a chance to test that out at some point.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sales always tempt me, even at this (for me) elevated price range. However, the fact that the Gladius won't run with a 18650 or siimilar single Li-Ion (except in a blinking battery failure indication mode) sort of kills this for me. It becomes hard to see the Gladius' advantages over Waion's $55 shipped VB-16 or even the $59 shipped CPF Special VB-16 lights using 18650s.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
Sales always tempt me, even at this (for me) elevated price range. However, the fact that the Gladius won't run with a 18650 or siimilar single Li-Ion (except in a blinking battery failure indication mode) sort of kills this for me. It becomes hard to see the Gladius' advantages over Waion's $55 shipped VB-16 or even the $59 shipped CPF Special VB-16 lights using 18650s.

2 x 3v Li-ons work pretty well... but if you are looking for a single cell solution, then I guess the VB-16 is more suitable...

The Gladius was hot for the strobe and probably also the build quality and look. There are a lot of more affordable lights that can do everything a Gladius/Surefire or a brand light can do, but I guess sometimes it's not just the function that attracts us flashaholics to a light, now is it? :D

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the time of year when manufacturers get ready to introduce new models. It's possible that the next generation will be an improvement and have a lower MSRP.

jumpinjiminy

Newly Enlightened
Looks like they are dumping excess inventory. Should I pick one up now for $120 or wait for another possible price reduction?

Pyle-IT

Newly Enlightened
I just called botac they dont have any black ones...... but have the other 3 colors. just a heads up :)

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
I already ordered one from LAPG.... It's on the way......
I'm wondering now... does it come with the Mod-U-Lock holster or the nylon one?
Anyone know?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the picture on the product page represents what you'll get, it's the Mod-U-Lok. It's a very secure holster - you could probably remove the rubber "retention strap" if you wanted. In fact, I'm probably going to do that.

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
If the picture on the product page represents what you'll get, it's the Mod-U-Lok. It's a very secure holster - you could probably remove the rubber "retention strap" if you wanted. In fact, I'm probably going to do that.

Awesome... I was hoping it was the Mod-U-Lok!
Looks waaay cool :rock:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
This may have already been mentioned but I will try to shed some light (no pun intended) on the subject. The first generation of the Gladius was ceramic coated. Members of my team found that the ceramic coating would chip quite a bit if dropped or banged against something. According to Ken Good this was a manufacturing problem. To remedy the problem they began to hard anodize the lights. Problem Solved! The next problem with the lights came in the tail cap area. There were some switch problems due to slightly out of spec tail caps, again from the manufacturer. The newer generation lights have all of these problems solved. According to Ken Good (Strategos Intl) if you are have problems with the tail cap you can get a replacement tail cap and you should be good to go! I can say from first hand usage the light is amazing. For CQB work the light performs incredibly! Recently I had the chance to attend the Strategies of Low Light Engagement by Strategos in Sioux City, IA. To see this light used by the people who designed and engineered it was amazing. This light is amazing and the use of a strobe in a low or no light environment works incredibly well at blinding and disorienting your enemy! It is worth the money.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am tempted at the $120 price. However, how do you guys feel it fares against the $55 3w 2-CR123 Bushnell light? 3 light levels, strobe + SOS...

Paladin

Enlightened
Pyle-IT said:
I just called botac they dont have any black ones...... but have the other 3 colors. just a heads up :)

I can explain this to you potential Bocrap victims, but some will just NOT understand. A customer at ARfcom just reported their typical BS with the Gladius he paid for...they shipped him the holster, light is on BO, and his card was charged the entire amount!

So your "heads up" is merely an invitation to deal with the WORST RATED web based business it is possible to be screwed by. Rant off.

Paladin

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
LApolicegear.com now has a new shipment in, just got the shipping confirmation a few minutes ago.

Last edited:

victory

Enlightened
I shot a message off to ken j good to see what the deal is with the new pricing, whether it's just new competative lights coming out or if night-ops has a new light coming out. I'll post my findings.

Paladin

Enlightened
The Gladius arrived this afternoon, and this evenings dog walks gave it a decent workout. WOW. It would be the perfect light, except those dang tactical thingies sticking out! The learning curve for the modes is very short, and either hand quickly adapted to rotating the mode selector as needed.

The light exudes quality, and performs as advertised. Having grown up in the late 60's I was wondering what all the fuss about "strobe" lighting was about.

The tail cap mode selector is very intuitive. Full CW for momentary, or "single" shots of light. One step CCW gives strobe, or "full auto" flashes. Full CCW gives normal constant on. The coolest part is the dimming feature. Hold the button 1.5 seconds, and the light output ramps down till you let off. And slowly ramps back up if desired. The lockout mode is very positive.

LAPoliceGear delivered in less than a week, and the included holster IS the Modulock whatever, holds the light VERY securely, almost harder to remove than I care for, but it will NOT fall out by itself for sure!

Paladin

mrandychen

Newly Enlightened
I got my gladius in yesterday. Solid light. A few artifacts in the beam but I'm sure I won't notice it when I'm using it. It would be nice to have an orange peel reflector. The light is not as bright as my U2, but I like the feel of the gladius a lot more. It feels balanced in my hand and the trigger is very light and easy to push. With the U2, I find that turning it on is a little harder than I would have liked and the light is top heavy. I'm keeping both though.

--Andy

victory

Enlightened
from ken j good:

Some dealers are offering extremely low prices at this time.

There is no replacement or immediate upgrade in process.

buy up, i know i will be.

Latest posts