Glow in the Dark Projects and Mods

luigi

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
What is that thing at where did you get it?

It was originally a chinese clock I bought 10 of them for $0.33 each. I removed the useless part and used the case to build my glo-lights. Added some weight too so the thing doesn't roll.
So far I've made 4 1 blue and 3 green, the blue is cool but the greens glow a lot more.

Luigi

Moe

Newly Enlightened
Totally forgot to post my latest knife with GID in the handle...

Kind of a fantasy fighter. 16 " total length. :)

1150400759.jpg

Same knife with the lights on:

1150400703.jpg

rmzalbar

Newly Enlightened
Which clear epoxy is recommended for use with glow powder? Obviously we don't want one that interferes with UV. Someone mentioned they used Devcon clear, is that the good stuff?

Skylighter, do you have any recommendations?

Skylighter

Enlightened
When I use epoxy for a project, I havent thought too much about the brand. I have only done it a few times and used whatever brand I could find at Home Depot. That being said, I did have an irrational customer call once that said only certain brands worked. This may be true, but I suspect that most clear epoxy would be just fine.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Devcon 2-Ton epoxy. Do not use the devcon 5-min, it seems to block the glow or charging of it, and it will turn brown after age and exposure to light.

Rob M

Newly Enlightened
I have put glow powder on the backs of LEDs like that a few times, then added a layer of opaque white paint behind that, it seems to make the glow a little brighter. One of my link term projects is a small light for indoor use which will be treated like this. I have a few multi-led lights that I have added GID paint to by just pouring it into the silvered reflector then tipping the reflector to distribute it, which works very well. If the reflecor isn't a very tight fit around the LEDs I put a little clear lacquer in first to stop the GID paint seeping out of the back of the reflector. I love GID mods!

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my very poor attempt to make glow stickies, ala LEDCandle.
I used a necklace sized spent glow stick and cut it up, and superglued one end closed. I used ultra green glow sand from GlowInc.s sale.
One stickie has sand directly poured into it and seal, the other is stuffed with a sand/epoxy mix.

I'm not sure which is brighter, but my eyes say the sand one, barely.
The epoxy one looks like it's filled with green goo, the other you can clearly see the grains.
Then I made a hole with jewelers screwdrivers, and bent up pieces of a paperclip. I'm going to put small split rings on those, to attach them to things.

ScarabDrowner

Newly Enlightened
just had an idea for the halloween season... has anyone attempted to use GID powder or paint on the inside of a pumpkin instead of a candle for illumination? going to pick up some GID paint and a new pumpkin this weekend and give it a shot.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone measured whether the paint is conductive? I would hope it's not, I'd like to paint the back of LED's with it too.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jumpmaster,

Thanks for your post, but your link does not answer my question. :confused:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
He put powder (in epoxy) on the back of his LED's and it works. Any reason it has to be paint instead of epoxy with powder in it?

I have some powder and can check it with my multimeter, but I think the conductivity would mostly depend on what type of epoxy you choose. I don't think the powder would be conductive though.

I don't have any paint, so cannot check it.

JM-99

spyderknut

Enlightened
My cubscouts made raingutter regatta boats this month. I made mounts with egg-crate foam mattress spraypainted blue, then I sprinkled blue glow powder onto the wet paint. Sailboat on a glowing sea. Sweet dreams litlle fellas.:sleepy:

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
EngrPaul said:
Has anyone measured whether the paint is conductive? I would hope it's not, I'd like to paint the back of LED's with it too.
I did several ArcAAA's like that as well - GID paint on the back of a 5mm LED. Pics of what I did are back in this thread somewhere. The pic JM linked shows that as well.