god im stupid

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, for Pet's sake, go to the local cafe or watering hole and observe. Buy the guy next to you a beer and strike up a conversation. Walk down a couple of streets smile and wave to people you see. If they smile and wave back, strike up a conversation.:banghead:

Did someone pee in you guys' Cheerios, or do ya just have a need to be contrary? :rolleyes:
Neither. I'm sorry but you're seeing this from the perspective of an earlier time. A much earlier one. The houses might be the same, but neighborhood mentalities have changed. Everyone used to know their neighbors and even took the time to interact with them. If elderly Mrs. Jenkins accidentally had her house burnt down, the whole neighborhood pitched in to build her a new one.

Fast forward a couple of generations, same thing occurred; everyone would feel sorry for her. A few neighbors would drop off bags of groceries at the cheap, seedy motel she was staying in now. No one would even think of building her a new house. Everyone would be secretly happy that their house was still standing.

Fast forward couple more generations, find out her house got burnt down.... "Who?! Oh that old woman with all the cats. I thought she passed away years ago."

It's just going to get worse. Strike up a conversation with random folks in the new neighborhood, and they'll just B.S. their way through it with the most general responses you can think of because they have literally no clue who their neighbors are. And, that's the way they prefer it. They want to be left alone. Not deal with the random strangers who happen to live extremely close by to them.

Personally, what I would do is just drive through the neighborhood during the weekends, at night. Couple of weekends in a row. Any loud, obnoxious neighbors partying into the early AM hours? Yes, no? That's the main thing for me. All I need to know about the neighborhood.

Neither. I'm sorry but you're seeing this from the perspective of an earlier time. A much earlier one. The houses might be the same, but neighborhood mentalities have changed. Everyone used to know their neighbors and even took the time to interact with them. If elderly Mrs. Jenkins accidentally had her house burnt down, the whole neighborhood pitched in to build her a new one.

Fast forward a couple of generations, same thing occurred; everyone would feel sorry for her. A few neighbors would drop off bags of groceries at the cheap, seedy motel she was staying in now. No one would even think of building her a new house. Everyone would be secretly happy that their house was still standing.

Fast forward couple more generations, find out her house got burnt down.... "Who?! Oh that old woman with all the cats. I thought she passed away years ago."

It's just going to get worse. Strike up a conversation with random folks in the new neighborhood, and they'll just B.S. their way through it with the most general responses you can think of because they have literally no clue who their neighbors are. And, that's the way they prefer it. They want to be left alone. Not deal with the random strangers who happen to live extremely close by to them.

Personally, what I would do is just drive through the neighborhood during the weekends, at night. Couple of weekends in a row. Any loud, obnoxious neighbors partying into the early AM hours? Yes, no? That's the main thing for me. All I need to know about the neighborhood.

Yeah, you're probably right. 🥹

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. 🤓

BrightestBulb

Newly Enlightened
If I ever had to move, the absolute first requirement of wherever I moved to would be no HOA. That's absolutely non-negotiable. HOAs are run by Napoleon wannabees with way too much time on their hands. I honestly don't understand why they even exist given that people only say negative things about them. I'd love to see them banned by law.
Same. Except my other requirement was binoculars to see the "neighbors"! Just left my last HOA to acreage on a big lake. I answer to the county and me.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i was told to put the fing attnena back up lol and now others are puttting them up . . i took the high road and it appears i have won lol. but the speed limeit still is hard to get used to i can see it in a car or a truck but not on my stand up scoooter or bike. but i was going like 40 mph once

bykfixer

Flashaholic

IMG_9852.jpeg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Oh! Well, you have no clue how accurate that is!

Four days before Halloween, 2019.
Got into a car accident. No airbags exploding in my face, this time.
Whoozy. Barely able to concentrate.
Happened in my old neighborhood of Flushing, Queens.
(Other driver completely unhurt.)
A large group of young Asian men gather around me.
My dumb butt thinks they're coming to check if I'm okay.
Still a bit out of it, I thank them for their concern.
One of them, politely corrects me.
Tells me they're gathered around to record the accident.
Going to post it onto their individual social media accounts.
That's when I see that all of them have their phones out.
Recording both my car, and I.
Yeah....... What did I think of that?
Sorry, last I checked, CPF is still a family friendly site.
This is as close as I can come expressing myself regarding that incident.
🤬 🤬 🤬 x 100,000.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lived in an Australian equivalent of a HOA once (Strata title complex), closest thing to Communism IMHO, got "flagged" for a small scanner antenna I had on my balcony, mind you other residents had no issue putting their washing out on folding clothes hoists and continually parking in my parking spot (which got moved by the powers that be), never again.

Not sure if an intensely community orientated neighbourhood would work so well now, how many people in society befriend others for what they can get out of them?

Last edited: