Stupid people

raggie33

*the raggedier*
In my life I also learned everyone is a moron but also everyone is a genius.it just depends on the subject

What's stupid is we keep voting for them.

Chicagoans are smartening up. It took 40 years, but better late than never. :clap:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calling oneself or others stupid is just plain wrong!

Having worked special education for years, there are all kinds of circumstances with people that are not their fault. Fetal alcohol syndrome is such a heartbreaking tragedy. Autistic spectrum folks did not make the choice to be who they are. (Some of them are quite smart in certain ways). Taking damaging illicit drugs early in life may have been a result of the home life they were brought up in.

Like Chance, I too have done some stupid stuff, but it helps no one to say he and I are stupid.
Autistic people are the smartest people in the world that are often called demeaning names because of their disability. My brother has autism. When he was younger, he memorized a puzzle with the U.S. on one side and the world map on the other. We could hold a piece facing backwards and he could tell us what state was on the other side. During one incident in school, the teacher turned their back on him for a few seconds and he had pressed some buttons on a keyboard that shut down all the computers in the lab. It took a technician an entire day to fix whatever he had done in seconds. Never underestimate a child with autism.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Autistic people are the smartest people in the world that are often called demeaning names because of their disability. My brother has autism. When he was younger, he memorized a puzzle with the U.S. on one side and the world map on the other. We could hold a piece facing backwards and he could tell us what state was on the other side. During one incident in school, the teacher turned their back on him for a few seconds and he had pressed some buttons on a keyboard that shut down all the computers in the lab. It took a technician an entire day to fix whatever he had done in seconds. Never underestimate a child with autism.
I think we might have to differentiate between being smart and being intelligent.

Many autistic people can be highly intelligent, but as smart as a bag of rocks. I tried to find the DnD example showing this with Int and Wis, where it's essentially that intelligence indicates that you know how to make a jacket out of herring heads, while wisdom (being smart in this case) tells you it's a really bad idea.

Your brother was intelligent enough to understand how to mess up the computer lab, but he still did mess up the computer lab, making it impossible for others to use it while it was being fixed.

You can be intelligent enough to understand the solution for a problem, but the raw computational power doesn't mean that you know if the problem is sound at all. You might understand how your child should tie their shoes and be frustrated by them not doing it that way, but the smart thing is to let them do it on their own and show them, rather than just doing it for them.

Another example, and just for the sake of driving home the point i'll make it extreme; if you try to feed 100 people but you only have stocked food for 80 of them intelligence can tell you to find a way to make more food, or take the easy route and simply make sure that 20 of those people don't exist anymore. If you ask a computer the latter would be easier, hence the most likely option to implement.

We have a lot of intelligent people around today, but as shown above we shouldn't conflate intelligent with being smart.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Who is to decide smart, inteligent, wise etc? Some so called standard test that judges based on criteria set up hundreds of years ago?

It's been said that in grade school Albert Einstein was often called (the R word) by his peers. Same with Ben Franklin.

Too often a person's inteligence or smarts or whatever you want to call it is based off of how they fit a set of criteria based off opinions of a society who themselves are not very bright in general.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Same with introverted vs extroverted.
Extroverted people think introverts are strange, simply because they would absolutely go to pieces if lived or dealt with things on their own.

Also; show me a class for problem solving/trouble shooting, logic, or common sense...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I was in high school there was a class called 'general math'. Basically it was based around math for stuff like balancing a check book, figuring fuel mileage and figuring out interest cost among other things. That same class is no longer on the roster.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are such concepts as street smart and book smart. one will study hiss a$$ off get degree, find a job and make good living, street smart person will not pass many school tests, or know things that require reading lots of books, yet with no serious education they will find a way to build a successful business and make even better living, for himself and people he hires, each one will be looked down upon by other.

I don't know what anyone's individual requirements for classifying an individual "stupid" may be, but I contend the many of the "smartest" people I've personally ever known have made a disproportionately high amount of "stupid" choices. I tend to think that extreme behavior begets its opposite just as often. I certainly don't consider myself a "stupid" person but I've had my fair share of dealing with, generating or participating in "the stupid." I do, however, tend to think that those who are often called "stupid" by society at large these day, perhaps always, may in fact carry a lower degree of "smart" but may have a higher degree of "wise" proportionally. I also tend to think that "smart" and "intelligent" are conflated far too often and that dictionary definitions of these words don't necessarily have a direct correlation with how these things play out in real life. Perhaps the smartest people have a good idea just how stupid they are, and perhaps that makes them wise.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like fixer is pointing out that the standard by which people are labelled is sorely lacking at times.

Consider animals that have amazing capabilities for survival and adaptation. Others are extremely specialized.

andregrobler

Newly Enlightened
i was one of those kids… up to grade 4 i barely managed to write the heading and the date in a class… but i read faster than most people out there and could have long conversations with adults. My mother who refused to believe i was just not very clever, took me to many people… and someone said cut out sugar preservatives colourants and flavourants… within 2 weeks the teachers said i was a different student… but here is a big but… a lot of the learned anxiety and coping mechanisms from ADD ADHD still remain, because my early learning was really rubbish because my brain was not working right. I was an ecological consultant for 15 years and most projects i would complete in my head whilst quoting for the project and then struggle really hard to make the deadlines with the written report.

My eldest child developed benign myoclonic epilepsy just after he went to kindergarten age 3. We figure out the school with the clean food reputation and policy, has a cook who doesn't read ingredients and a headmistress that is very bright, but grew up in an age when food was still just really food. Long ago, If you bought food it was food…

But being good parents we go to the paediatric neurologist who makes several glaring logical and scientific errors in our consultation. And we say that is not gonna happen… so we read the GAPS book, we implement the diet, and our child starts "outgrowing" the epilepsy within a week, seizures down from 15-25 a day that we can see, to 2-3 a day, three weeks later it is down to one every day or two, three months he might not have one in a week, and the nature of the seizure changes, last one we saw ever was six months after we started the diet… 28 Dec 2013 11am. He is now a thriving almost 13yo.

We have helped friends who wanted to implement these for their kids with autism ADD ADHD etc… it worked on all of them. It works to such an extent that if daddy smuggles some contraband into the house, and the kid finds it and takes a nibble - every one knows about it, it is plainly obvious the kid is all over the place, tantrums everywhere those irrational inconsolable tantrums people kinda think the norm these days… most of these kids were being changed to special needs schools when the people started, all of them went back to main stream schools once they got on their way with the diet…

Long story short… God doesn't make stupid people, us and one part of the food science industry, does… that - is stupid…

Clever is taking a step back and saying hey… this ain't normal… this kids brain is not working in the right way… what is wrong? And figuring out how to fix it.

There are some forms of epilepsy and autism which is not caused by gut dysbiosis. They tend to be injury related. Physical or Chemical… but they are not the norm, just like they weren't 50 years ago…

If you want scientific papers on how gut flora composition affects or correlates with alzheimers, parkinsons, autism, epilepsy, ADD, ADHD, Dyspraxia, depression and anxiety, i can quickly google up a storm for you, my google algorithm starts with google scholar…

Yes i still get triggered when somebody calls a kid stupid…

i still get triggered when i see a kid acting wrong with ASD tics and behaviours all over the place, and their parents tell me why are your kids so unhealthy needing a special diet? Mine can eat anything…

So my kids eat food… their food hasn't passed through a factory… things passing through a factory is not food… although it is the norm today.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
i was one of those kids… up to grade 4 i barely managed to write the heading and the date in a class… but i read faster than most people out there and could have long conversations with adults. My mother who refused to believe i was just not very clever, took me to many people… and someone said cut out sugar preservatives colourants and flavourants… within 2 weeks the teachers said i was a different student… but here is a big but… a lot of the learned anxiety and coping mechanisms from ADD ADHD still remain, because my early learning was really rubbish because my brain was not working right. I was an ecological consultant for 15 years and most projects i would complete in my head whilst quoting for the project and then struggle really hard to make the deadlines with the written report.

My eldest child developed benign myoclonic epilepsy just after he went to kindergarten age 3. We figure out the school with the clean food reputation and policy, has a cook who doesn't read ingredients and a headmistress that is very bright, but grew up in an age when food was still just really food. Long ago, If you bought food it was food…

But being good parents we go to the paediatric neurologist who makes several glaring logical and scientific errors in our consultation. And we say that is not gonna happen… so we read the GAPS book, we implement the diet, and our child starts "outgrowing" the epilepsy within a week, seizures down from 15-25 a day that we can see, to 2-3 a day, three weeks later it is down to one every day or two, three months he might not have one in a week, and the nature of the seizure changes, last one we saw ever was six months after we started the diet… 28 Dec 2013 11am. He is now a thriving almost 13yo.

We have helped friends who wanted to implement these for their kids with autism ADD ADHD etc… it worked on all of them. It works to such an extent that if daddy smuggles some contraband into the house, and the kid finds it and takes a nibble - every one knows about it, it is plainly obvious the kid is all over the place, tantrums everywhere those irrational inconsolable tantrums people kinda think the norm these days… most of these kids were being changed to special needs schools when the people started, all of them went back to main stream schools once they got on their way with the diet…

Long story short… God doesn't make stupid people, us and one part of the food science industry, does… that - is stupid…

Clever is taking a step back and saying hey… this ain't normal… this kids brain is not working in the right way… what is wrong? And figuring out how to fix it.

There are some forms of epilepsy and autism which is not caused by gut dysbiosis. They tend to be injury related. Physical or Chemical… but they are not the norm, just like they weren't 50 years ago…

If you want scientific papers on how gut flora composition affects or correlates with alzheimers, parkinsons, autism, epilepsy, ADD, ADHD, Dyspraxia, depression and anxiety, i can quickly google up a storm for you, my google algorithm starts with google scholar…

Yes i still get triggered when somebody calls a kid stupid…

i still get triggered when i see a kid acting wrong with ASD tics and behaviours all over the place, and their parents tell me why are your kids so unhealthy needing a special diet? Mine can eat anything…

So my kids eat food… their food hasn't passed through a factory… things passing through a factory is not food… although it is the norm today.
My ex wife worked at a school in the social services department and would bring home videos at times of kids who were affected by food(s). This one boy was acting normal and they gave him some orange juice. Holy Jeckyl & Hyde.... some reacted to pancakes, some to pickles. It was insane to see how much some kids were affected by some every day foods.

My favorite was the one boy who they thought was catatonic and one day he was handed a typewriter. Suddenly he was blabbing like crazy with that keyboard. He knew how to type like a pro without any instruction. They gave him a computer and he was able to communicate with his world.

I remember when I was in school this one special boy graduated high school. He was 25 when he did. When a kid got their diploma the audience would politely applaud. Sometimes somebody would get a louder applause, but when dude went up to get his it was like when the Rolling Stones first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. The place went nuts. That was pretty cool to see.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
today i just like everyday which i knew why i sneeze all day there so violent it kisnt something in my home it happens outside to

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ps it was so horrific when i was in that accident when my ribs was screwed up and shoulder seperated