Got Lucky - Right Place at the Right Time

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Great work!

Newpinsinstalledbeforesoldering.jpg

I might have wanted to see a grommet or something to protect against chaffing/vibration wear, etc...where the wires pass through the holes though...but that's just me.

Obviously, the holes would nee to be a bit larger to allow it, etc...possibly crossing that PITA factor.

:D

BVH

Flashaholic
I agree and I don't know why such an expensive and quality light geared for military would not have done it that way. Though I see absolutely no signs of wear and these were supposed to have seen service in Afghanistan. And thinking some more, not sure why the bottom of the PCB is exposed in the vest just as it's shown. The OEM battery boxes were plastic so no issue there but still, Murphy's law applies here, I think.
Great work!

I might have wanted to see a grommet or something to protect against chaffing/vibration wear, etc...where the wires pass through the holes though...but that's just me.

Obviously, the holes would nee to be a bit larger to allow it, etc...possibly crossing that PITA factor.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There appears to be solder around the holes the wires pass through...did that used to connect something?

BVH

Flashaholic
Not that I know of. My only mod was to drill the two Anderson contact pin holes thru the existing two solder pads and solder them in place.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its possible then that by the time you obtained it, it had already been repaired/modified...explaining the solder around holes, etc.

For example, that part might have been canabalized from another device, or, whatever used to be there was repaired or modified, etc.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
When I see something that took time and material to do, with no obvious purpose, I always consider that it used to serve some purpose...and that purpose is simply no longer present....or is simply not obvious.

IE: I try to find the purpose, or, an explanation for its absence.

BVH

Flashaholic
The more we talk about it, the more that termination does not seem to be of the quality of the rest of the light components. Here's another bit of info. The label on the 3 OEM packs show them to be made in Southern California. The light is made in South Africa I believe, so how did US made batteries get there? Maybe the US military sourced replacements from a US company and the company modified whatever original setup came with the lights? Or the feds bought the lights without batteries and sourced their own. Just a thought.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The more we talk about it, the more that termination does not seem to be of the quality of the rest of the light components. Here's another bit of info. The label on the 3 OEM packs show them to be made in Southern California. The light is made in South Africa I believe, so how did US made batteries get there? Maybe the US military sourced replacements from a US company and the company modified whatever original setup came with the lights? Or the feds bought the lights without batteries and sourced their own. Just a thought.

Mr. Ted Bear actually recently visited the place where those batteries were made. It sounds like they probably handle thousands of small contracts for electrical gadgets since they didn't even remember making those packs when MTB inquired about them.

BVH

Flashaholic
Mr. Ted Bear actually recently visited the place where those batteries were made. It sounds like they probably handle thousands of small contracts for electrical gadgets since they didn't even remember making those packs when MTB inquired about them.

WOW, what a small world! Hmmmm, wonder what Mr. TB was doing there...........

Patriot

Flashaholic
WOW, what a small world! Hmmmm, wonder what Mr. TB was doing there...........

He indicated to me that he was about other non-related business in his old stomping ground when he remembered that they were just down the street. I guess he couldn't resist stopping in. Either that or he as going to inquire about the availability of some battery packs for you and Lips.

larryk

Enlightened
Way to go Bob and Lips. Now you got me thinking about a new light again. Usually not a good thing. Bought a used MR250 125 watt version. I should have it by the middle of next week.

BVH

Flashaholic
.alkansan.com/pdf/Perkin-Elmer-Endoskopi-Ampul-Katalogu.pdf (add the http......)

Here's the PDF showing the different Perkin Elmer Cermax bulb modules. Looks like physical size, focal length ect are same but Voltage and current requirements of course, are different. I have a Perkin Elmer bench PS for the 175 and 300 Watt bulbs so it's current can be set per bulb type but I would guess that our on-board supplies cannot autosense and compensate. 175 Watt Elliptical Bulbs are about $500.00.

larryk

Enlightened
Wow, $ 500.00. I think this will stay a 125 watter. Hopefully the MR will arrive in perfect working order as described by the seller.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way to go Bob and Lips. Now you got me thinking about a new light again. Usually not a good thing. Bought a used MR250 125 watt version. I should have it by the middle of next week.

Finally got around to firing mine up the other night. Only blasted my neighborhood late at night as I don't have a proper battery yet. Sure is nice to have BVH on board because he'll find out everything about the light, provide courteous help and come up with "out of the box" modifications, thanks much!

Good to see you around Larry! Can you say where you found your Megaray?