Got the Bug

tigris99

Newly Enlightened
So long story short, started getting into lights for my bike. First my commuter light broke, bought a chinese thing off amazon that seemed decent enough based on info I could find (mtbr). Save that for the cycling sub.

Then being as I needed new flashlights around the house anyway (tired of buying batteries, replacing bulbs) found a budget way to do it. After hours spent here and other forums and a still ongoing process learning all these things, these are where i sit right now:

Left to right:
-Eagle Eye X3 mods= AR lens, U2 3c emitter on noctigon, qlite driver with guppdrv V1.
-Convoy L4 with extension installed only changed reflector, AR lens, and XM-L2 U4 1C emitter (think thats going 3c, hate cool white)
-Lantern was sent for review by Nitefighter, but love it, warm white light, closest to a gas lantern I have ever seen.
-DQG Tiny III: review flashlight, cool little thing that runs on a 18650.
-Nitefighter F30B: Review from Nitefighter as well, cool little light, about to put a qlite on guppdrv in it as well, and change to 3C emitter.

And have a convoy S2+ on the way....

Does this ever stop. Between my mtn biking and LED flashlights/bike lights Im gonna go broke lol.

ReManG

Newly Enlightened
It will plateau eventually, but like you, I started when looking for just one "decent" light without going into full retail disappointment. It is fun and easier to show off than say a knife collection, or if you were into collecting Oosik bones, or Oosik bone handled knives for instance... It only stops when you cannot see the internet, but it looks like your light collection may not be helpful in that regard. Have fun, there are worse hobbies.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, no enablers here lol.

Good luck with that, seems cyclical for myself like others, knives, multi-tools etc.

Shouldn't have opened post and read it as well, that Tiny III is interesting and one thing leads to another I've found lol.

Anyhow, have a great one.

tigris99

Newly Enlightened
Thnx guys, lol.

I still am more into my bike lights that flashlights, but flashlights are cheaper to mess with and way more options to do to it without fabricating or paying out the nose. Though drivers I also found on MTN Electronics have opened up some options since they will do the same as my bike light china drivers, but have more options and more usueable sizes, not to mention trusted builds from Richard.

ANd now after playing with my EE X2 vs my convoy and nitefighter lights, everything IS GOING 3C!!!! I cant stand cool white light anymore, lol.

Loving the guppydrv though, pretty sweet all that in a little bitty flashlight.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
The guppydrv is awesome, and you're going to love the S2+. As you may have noticed, Convoy lights offer a lot for the money.

tigris99

Newly Enlightened
Well your correct loving my s2+. Very nice light. The red edition also has a nice stainless tail button. Had an AR coated lense sitting here for it and its pretty dang with or without it.

Can't believe what you get for your money when you take the time to know what "budget companies" to buy from. $12 light, another $15 between AR lens and a guppdrv driver (which I haven't installed yet) and I dont know what more you could ask for in this size of light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I started out looking for ideas and technology so as to run some extra lighting in my hot rod without running extra circuits all the way to the source. I now have several nice flashlights....

Being a member on a hot rod forum I met a few folks along the way. Well I'm the sort who generally restores cars in stock condition with some factory upgrades or tasteful mods.
Same with bicycles. So I figure on maybe some LED upgrades to a mag or that sorta thing...generally stock in appearance, but Moar Powah!

Now I have a friend who made sure his 4 cylinder engine that used to put out about 180hp at 6000 rpms now puts out 250+ at the wheels at 12,000 rpms...natural aspirated, mind you.
So I asked him recently "what kinda flashlight do you have?" He responds "x-bright, and a surefire that's being upgraded to 1000 lumens."

I've noticed here at CPF, there are folks like he and I regarding flashlights and those "broke@$$ college kids" like at the car forums who like my buddy, want max output, yet unlike him with minimum funds...

This thread reminds me of my buddy (even though it's in the budget section). Gain the knowledge, and apply the resources necessary to achieve desired results.

Last edited:

tigris99

Newly Enlightened
I haven't visited this in a bit but I've expanded my collection a little so far, a ridiculous convoy s2+ now running triple xp-l hi emitters, a custom A6 on the way.

And don't get me started on the bike lights lol.