Gotta Have Coffee!

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the aeropress, with fresh roasted coffee, ground just before brewing. Yum yum yum!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I use the aeropress, with fresh roasted coffee, ground just before brewing. Yum yum yum!

I spent many months trying to find a better brewing method over [the inventor] Mr. Adler's, gotta say he had it right the first time. I did find that a perforated filter allows more nuance through, and this is the only way I'd use an Aeropress after discovering it; you have to just buy a pack and trace-then-cut your own filter by hand, sounds silly but it's worth it.

sandalian

Enlightened
I roast my own coffee, and know a thing or two about coffee. Everything you have said throughout this thread is right on. Spoken like a true connoisseur. :grin2:

What roaster do you use?
I enjoy the freedom of having different roast profile every week according to my mood.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
What roaster do you use?
I enjoy the freedom of having different roast profile every week according to my mood.

I'm a home roaster. Just a Poppery 1 popcorn popper from eBay, circa 1980.

I have tried more contemporary poppers but the original Poppery $50-100 depending on the condition is perfect. I buy 8lbs of various coffees from around the world from a company out of California, Sweet Marias. Usually roast once a week.

If you are not already roasting your own thier are many tutorials on YouTube.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original Poppery popcorn popper, how about you?

I buy from Sweet Marias. Usually 8 lbs at a time every couple months. :poke:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry for the multiple posts. I thought I lost my first one in cyberspace, then this one double posted. Computer problems.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
nobones,
Thanks for the link.
It was an interesting read.

It looks like a well done meta-analysis. It's validity relies upon how well the studies it relied upon accounted for the so many possible con-founders. At least, most of the studies they relied upon, took into account the milk fat, dairy products used as additives.

I guess I have been lucky (from a health prospective) that I have been using a Mr. Coffee with paper filters for most of my adult life. :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic

The local roaster has a few options too :)

rutusBQ.jpg

I guess I have been lucky (from a health prospective) that I have been using a Mr. Coffee with paper filters for most of my adult life. :)

The good news is that Mr. Coffee is healthier, the bad news is that the actual chemical process of brewing takes place at 195 degrees, nearly all drip-style coffemakers top out at ~160. Most people have drank warm water run through grounds their whole lives, but have never had a brewed cup of coffee

Poppy

Flashaholic
The local roaster has a few options too :)

The good news is that Mr. Coffee is healthier, the bad news is that the actual chemical process of brewing takes place at 195 degrees, nearly all drip-style coffemakers top out at ~160. Most people have drank warm water run through grounds their whole lives, but have never had a brewed cup of coffee
LOL...I
can't win!
So now I am going to have to measure the temp of my mr coffee :rolleyes:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Since I prefaced this thread with "I really dislike instant coffee!"
I learned that there are some among us who REALLY KNOW coffee!

I am tempted to ask... not for everyday use, but for camping purposes, is there a decent "instant" coffee?
Is freeze dried better? (certainly not better than brewed.)

ingineer

Newly Enlightened
most people like the starbucks via
i like the traders 3 in 1 , more like NJ reg
the folgers takes time , but is most like fresh brewed to me
All must be in a Finish kuksa cup

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I am tempted to ask... not for everyday use, but for camping purposes, is there a decent "instant" coffee?
Is freeze dried better? (certainly not better than brewed.)

Essentially all instant coffees are rated evenly high; when the bar is that low, anything passable will do. Starbucks Via is generally regarded as at least the most advanced instant coffee as it's got actual coffee dust in it and can be mixed into anything regardless of temperature, meaning you can stir it into a glass of water and add ice for iced coffee, add it to ice cream for a coffee shake, etc.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Essentially all instant coffees are rated evenly high; when the bar is that low, anything passable will do. Starbucks Via is generally regarded as at least the most advanced instant coffee as it's got actual coffee dust in it and can be mixed into anything regardless of temperature, meaning you can stir it into a glass of water and add ice for iced coffee, add it to ice cream for a coffee shake, etc.
Sonicelyput...whenthebaristhatlow.

Does your browser do that? Not allow the spacer to work until you skip a line after you quote a post? This has been happening to me more and more. I don't get it.

I don't particularly care for Starbucks coffee.
Do you like it?

I imagine that I have not been paying particular attention to the subtleties of a variety of coffees.

BUT.... maybe as instants go, it may be more likeable than others. I'll have to give it a shot.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I don't particularly care for Starbucks coffee.
Do you like it?

Dessert drinks only; If the Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino isn't available [which it is currently,] the Mocha Frappuccino with Vanilla and an added shot.

I imagine that I have not been paying particular attention to the subtleties of a variety of coffees.

There are no subtleties in store-shelf coffee, it's all variations on mud and ash, but you won't realize that until you try fresh roast. The two store-shelf offerings most people trying to find something better arrive at are Starbucks' Caffe Verona and Peet's Major ****ason's Blend.

sandalian

Enlightened

Sorry for the multiple posts. I thought I lost my first one in cyberspace, then this one double posted. Computer problems.
You got nice coffee source, Sweet Marias is great.

I buy green bean from local farmer about 1 kilogram (around 2.2 lbs) for each month.

I roast my green bean using frying pan, not very ideal but I'm now kinda good at it (experience makes perfect). I have a plan to build my own fluid bed roaster and currently doing "research" on it.

scout24

Flashaholic
I've never enjoyed coffee, never drank it. Even during my time in the U.S. Army, where it's required... :) I JUST started drinking iced coffee, lightly sweetened. Cold brewed. There may be something to this coffee thing...
:twothumbs