H4's

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
Here's dumb question number 1: are H4's interchangable with 9003's both physically and functionally?

As I wade tru old posts, looking for the best commonly available H4 bulbs it becomes slightly confusing. When I hit a link I many times get a picture of a bulb with some (or a lot) of blue tint on it.... and a "slightly" different part number.

I don't need or want "blue", I need and want to get the best overall hi/lo lighting I can commonly find and purchase for my work truck that see's a lot of nightime driving hours, at normal highway speeds on animal infested roads. Elk will ruin my work day : ) and my truck.

These will go in Cibei 7" units wired thru fused relays with 10 ga. (I've got a lot of 10ga. and overkill doesn't bother me) right off the battery of a Dodge/Cummins, in aftermarket buckets on a large bumper/grill guard and are my primary headlights. The factory lights remain, but are never used in day to day driving.

I don't care much about lifespan limitations and will buy 3 sets and keep spares in the glove box if they give me a better view of the nightime world. Changing bulbs is easy on this truck.

Question number 2: which (commonly available today) bulb will maximize the output of my cheap Hella 550's that are aimed slightly at the ditch (where cattle/elk/deer roam early mornings. Again, easy to change so no great concern about lifespan of the bulb beyond I don't want to change them every month if I can help it. Only on with hi beams in rural areas very early mornings.

Both sets of lights are used on off highway right of ways and dirt roads/tracks a significant amount.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Here's dumb question number 1: are H4's interchangable with 9003's both physically and functionally?
Yes.

As I wade tru old posts, looking for the best commonly available H4 bulbs
Tungsram Megalight +120. Stern carries them.

These will go in Cibei 7" units

Depending on how old these are (both in terms of how long they've been in use and when they were made) you might want to consider upgrading to better 7" H4 units.

Question number 2: which (commonly available today) bulb will maximize the output of my cheap Hella 550's

Flosser +90 is currently the best H3. Stern might have those too, I'm not sure.