HDS ‘Epic’ Review – EDC Rotary and EDC Executive with new 2xAA and 18680(18650) tubes

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are alkalines OK in AA 325 rotary?

Yes, but don't expect maximum output for all that long. It will drop several levels quite early on. Altogether the runtime will probably be longer than on NiMh, but only due to a lacklustre performance.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, so not constant current regulation?

The Executive and Rotary are regulated at each level, until there is not enough power to maintain that level.

It is simply that Alklines are :fail: at delivering high power. They run well enough at low current draw. The light will drop a level or two relatively early on, like you can see in the runtime graphs, and each level will be maintained until the cells can't maintain it.

Alkalines fade away, whereas NiMh burn out (well not literally)! As Kurgan said in Higlander "I have something to say. It is better to burn out than to fade away!"

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium primary AA better?
I think it's hard to beat a couple of NiMH, especially Eneloop Pro. I most likely won't get the AA compartment, but if I do get one it will definitely eat only Eneloop Pro for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Thank you for the review, I was eager to read it since you said you were working on it :)
Really epic review!

recDNA

Flashaholic
I think it's hard to beat a couple of NiMH, especially Eneloop Pro. I most likely won't get the AA compartment, but if I do get one it will definitely eat only Eneloop Pro for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
A real quality NiMH charger is too expensive.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you can afford to buy an HDS, can't you afford to buy a good NiMh charger?

I use the Technoline BC1000 (also known as the LaCrosse BC1000) for all my AA/AAA Eneloop charging/monitoring.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely cheaper in the long run compared to running Lithium AA. At least a cheap charger is better than nothing. Trust me, you don't really need very good charger for this. NiMH has been around for decades and most chargers available in the market are pretty capable to do a good charge. Better ones allow you to condition your batteries as well as do soft charging so it doesn't heat up the batteries too fast and too hot. Personally I use a Maha charger for charging 8 pieces in a go. Buy the cheap ones first and maybe progress to better ones later? Not sure if this will make more sense for you?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have one but it gets hot. I do not like that so no NiMH for me. I already have a bunch of li AA

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried out the programming crib sheet yet? I'm curious for any feedback on if it is any use to anyone else.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one but it gets hot. I do not like that so no NiMH for me. I already have a bunch of li AA

A Lacrosse or Maha charger can be had for around $40-50 for a good quality one. Mine was the BC-700 model for about $35 and works great, doesn't get hot at all and let's you select what rate to charge the batteries at. Worth a look IMO.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I couldn't find any Maha for $35 or I would have purchased it. Prices I saw were very high so I gave up.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't find any Maha for $35 or I would have purchased it. Prices I saw were very high so I gave up.

May want to give this one a try for $36 this is what I use, no heat batteries stay cool also and let's you select desired charging current. It also offers refresh cycles and capacity test cycles.

recDNA

Flashaholic
May want to give this one a try for $36 this is what I use, no heat batteries stay cool also and let's you select desired charging current. It also offers refresh cycles and capacity test cycles.
I'll see what I can find. Thanks.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Sorry forgot to provide the link.

BC-700 Charger
Some of the reviews say it catches fire. 8% of the Maha reviews say it melts and smokes. Thanks for the info but I cannot take a 5% chance I will burn my house down.

One reviewer said "Amazon Verified Purchase
Update 7/10/14

The heat problem (along with the other issues mentioned below) have made this charger unacceptable for use. The heat is so intense that it is literally frying the batteries and I will no longer use it. A total waste of money and time.

I am perplexed by the many the many positive reviews on this charger. These reviews seem incredible to me - having over a year using it. I have decided to throw it out.

Last edited:

Latest posts