HDS ‘Epic’ Review – EDC Rotary and EDC Executive with new 2xAA and 18680(18650) tubes

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the reviews say it catches fire. 8% of the Maha reviews say it melts and smokes. Thanks for the info but I cannot take a 5% chance I will burn my house down.

One reviewer said "Amazon Verified Purchase
Update 7/10/14

The heat problem (along with the other issues mentioned below) have made this charger unacceptable for use. The heat is so intense that it is literally frying the batteries and I will no longer use it. A total waste of money and time.

I am perplexed by the many the many positive reviews on this charger. These reviews seem incredible to me - having over a year using it. I have decided to throw it out.

No issues with mine at all, and some of those 1 star reviews are from ones where the charger stopped working. I've had mine 3 years now and it still works great with no problems. Many times reviews like that are either from competitors or someone who used it to charge the wrong battery chemistry. Haven't seen issues like this here on CPF so shouldn't be a problem. If there was I would think there would be a thread on this somewhere.

Lithium466

Enlightened
He is.
I'm not sure I can put a direct link but you can buy them on the hds systems website (click to view full catalogue)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will Henry be selling the 18650 and 2 AA battery tubes separately?

Absolutely.

You have two options for the new tubes. You can buy a new light and using the custom option specify the CR123, 18650 or 2xAA battery tube. Alternatively you can buy the new tubes as a separate item and simply substitute your existing CR123 tube with the new one.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the time, effort, and sincerity that you put forth in this review. Great job. Given myself and what I've written elsewhere about HDS lights, I would really love to read a subjective review from you about these two. I find that to be so often missing in great reviews; while the objective parts of the review are "required" and describe the object in question, I want to know the real likes and dislikes about the given subject. This is what makes me want to purchase or pass on a given light. For another time I suppose...

My question about your review comes concerning the two photos below...

The characteristics seen indoors become even more obvious outdoors. The Rotary, despite lower output has better throw, but a narrower beam.

92%20HDS%20Rot%20outdoor%20beam%20P1110524.jpg

With its broader beam, neutral tint and higher output, the Executive is very capable and is a very pleasant Every Day Beam.

90%20HDS%20Exec%20outdoor%20beam%20P1110528.jpg

Given that the HDS lights in question are in front of the camera, how is it that the object physically holding the lights came to be illuminated? The reason that I ask is because if the illumination occurs because the exposure is long enough to illuminate said holder, then perhaps the actual beam shot is somewhat...skewed?

Again, great review, and I look forward to the answer. :twothumbs

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the time, effort, and sincerity that you put forth in this review. Great job. Given myself and what I've written elsewhere about HDS lights, I would really love to read a subjective review from you about these two. I find that to be so often missing in great reviews; while the objective parts of the review are "required" and describe the object in question, I want to know the real likes and dislikes about the given subject. This is what makes me want to purchase or pass on a given light. For another time I suppose...

My question about your review comes concerning the two photos below...

Given that the HDS lights in question are in front of the camera, how is it that the object physically holding the lights came to be illuminated? The reason that I ask is because if the illumination occurs because the exposure is long enough to illuminate said holder, then perhaps the actual beam shot is somewhat...skewed?

Again, great review, and I look forward to the answer. :twothumbs

Excellent question and observation, let me explain:

When producing the photos for a review I work in batches. These lights were in a batch of 14 lights. Each light has a set of 6+ photos taken indoors, and then the same again outdoors. It started to become a real problem distinguishing the beamshots for each light, so I decided to keep my floody headlight on a low setting during the exposures and allow it to illuminate the clamp enough to be able to identify the light. I can assure you that if the test subject were removed along with the clamp and the same exposure was taken again you would only see ambient light and nothing from the headlamp.

In the review, the final section is a subjective description of my experience with the light, and the Pros/Cons table, which I specifically call 'What I like / What doesn't work so well' is also subjective, as one man's Pro is another Man's con.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent question and observation, let me explain:

When producing the photos for a review I work in batches. These lights were in a batch of 14 lights. Each light has a set of 6+ photos taken indoors, and then the same again outdoors. It started to become a real problem distinguishing the beamshots for each light, so I decided to keep my floody headlight on a low setting during the exposures and allow it to illuminate the clamp enough to be able to identify the light. I can assure you that if the test subject were removed along with the clamp and the same exposure was taken again you would only see ambient light and nothing from the headlamp.

Thanks for the explanation. Clearly, nefarious forces were not at work! :p

In the review, the final section is a subjective description of my experience with the light, and the Pros/Cons table, which I specifically call 'What I like / What doesn't work so well' is also subjective, as one man's Pro is another Man's con.

Having gone back this morning and re-read the entire review, I've found more "personal" observations about the lights than I originally saw in my first read (ie, the "gloss-over"). Thanks for the perhaps unintended request to take another look at the whole review.

One thing you wrote about was your like of the 2AA tube...perhaps a photo or two of the different tubes (18650 and 2AA) in your hand would be extremely beneficial. A photo of the various tubes next to each other doesn't really provide an "in hand" prospective.

Again, great job.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review! I'm particularly impressed with the high quality photos you've created - I've tried taking HQ photos of lights in the past but I've never achieved your level of clarity.

All my old Ra / HDS lights including my current EDC Clicky 200 have centred emitters. Is this no longer the case with the new lights or have I just been super lucky with all the HDS lights I've had in the past?

Although I do know it makes little difference to the quality of beam.

Last edited:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review! If I were to get one it would probably be the clicky for better waterproofing. If a rotary is submerged and its tailcap is rotated (either by accident or not), water may seep into the light.

kj2

Flashaholic
All my old Ra / HDS lights including my current EDC Clicky 200 have centred emitters. Is this no longer the case with the new lights or have I just been super lucky with all the HDS lights I've had in the past?

Although I do know it makes little difference to the quality of beam.
I received the HiCRI Clicky a few days ago, and it has a well centered led.
Same goes for my 250 Rotary.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to place a custom order but don't see any option in regards to emitter. I see where you mentioned XPG2 and XPL. I suppose I should just call them.

Anyway outstanding review here!

Last edited:

Lithium466

Enlightened
250 lumens => XP-G2
325 lumens => XP-L
200 lumens => Nichia 219B high CRI