• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

HDS EDC Executive Pass Around

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
You realize the different tailcap doesn't change the travel distance, right? I mean its just a rubber cap over the actual e-switch. The e-switch is what determines the amount of travel, and that part is the same in all the lights.

Personally, for me, I like both styles for different reasons. The flat tailcap is great for tailstanding of course, and I do like for my lights to tailstand. So I keep a couple of those around. But I also find the raised tailcap easier to actuate so most of my HDSs have raised.

Nope, didn't realize. I have a couple of squishy mclickies on 6Ps (rubber cap over actual switch), and assumed the raised HDS switch was different with more travel. I mean I've only ever used, and prefer, the clicky. Love tail Standing. A little smarter now.

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the time has come for impressions :twothumbs

So let's start this off. Yes there is an LED in there. :) The world may never know its exact specs until Hogo reveals it. But let's move on.

iUSp10a.jpg

The first thing I notice and why I wanted to get in this passaround is the UI. The Executive UI is just wonderful. Turn it on and it turns on, click it on it comes on. Double click while on makes it turn on just a little bit brighter. There are tons of modes in the Manual to play around with. Low is perfect.
cpf9DnQ.jpg

Now lets talk a bit about the body. The size first one 16340 sized cell rechargeable or primary and you get the feel this is made well. Very well.

ozCMEJT.jpg

And finally my favorite thing about this light. Candle mode. Soooo underrrated and worth trying. Like this one, am in for a group buy for the rotary. Cannot wait to finally get one of those...

fl0t

Enlightened
Light received!
A few days late because I was out of town.
I will post my thoughts this week.

fl0t

Enlightened
I had the chance to play with the light this week. Here are my thoughts:

Anodizing is not as dark as my other HDS lights.

The serial number is quite high.

The reflector is very interesting, and I think a bit old because I can see either scratches or microscopic cracks. I am starting to suspect the bezel, with such a recent serial number, might not be the original bezel on this light. OR is reflector is from an old light?

EAwdnu7.jpg

The LED is pleasantly centered, as it's customary with HDS lights. The tint is on the neutral side of the spectrum.

When I first received the light, the o-ring sealing the lens on the outside was pinched. This is an easy fix, the o-ring was in good working condition so I went ahead and aligned the lens with the bezel o-rings.

XSEMojx.jpg

A few years back, HDS started putting flat plastic discs between the rubber and the switch inside the tail cap. This improved the tactile feedback quite a bit. You can appreciate that feature in this light.
This light stands perfectly, the flat button does not protrude like the pre-acme threads HDS lights used to

PDx5hnR.jpg

Lumens guess: ~300 lumens.

Very nice opportunity to test another iteration of an HDS light. Thanks Hogo!

HJETpR6.jpg

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reflector and bezel are new. We don't build in the order of the serial number. In fact, the only reason for the serial number at all is for us to keep track of lights that are sent in for software upgrades or other services, so we don't send the wrong light back to the customer.

The tiny "cracks" in the reflector are actually there to help smooth the beam out. This was started after we could no longer get orange peel done in the U.S.

sgt253

Enlightened
I just received the light. I will get some thoughts down soonest. Can't wait... first time I have ever experienced an HDS light!

sgt253

Enlightened
WOW! I now understand what the HDS experience is really like! For years, I have contemplated joining the legions of happy HDS users. Unfortunately, I never made it a reality. This is the first HDS light that I have ever held and/or used.
This particular Executive model really does it for me. The overall size is great for my medium sized hands. Its not too long nor too short. The knurling is the best I have ever felt on any light from production to semi-custom. It is aggressive but yet subtle enough as to be non abrasive. Really well done. The interface was quickly learned. I enjoyed the relative ease of getting to the level that one needs rather quickly. There are two really standout points for me regarding this light. First, the initial turn on to medium level really works well in a completely dark environment. The light is more than enough and not so much as to "eye stab" one by being too bright. A real joy to use. Secondly, we were given the opportunity to "guess" about the emitter and its output. I don't know what type emitter is being used, but it is really pleasing to my eye. Yes, it is a cool tint but just this side of neutral to me. It is certainly not a ghastly cool. The light is very bright on high. Venturing a guess I'd say its around 275-280 lumens bright. The reflector is mostly smooth to my eye with some slight striating. It gives the beam profile a distinctive hot spot but also a very nice corona. The light throws well for its size. Again, very well done. I have attached a picture below with "old" technology, a Tekna Micro Lite 2 N cell light from years ago for size comparison. My we have come a long way...! Thank you HDS and Hogo for this opportunity to really experience a true world class quality lighting tool! Now the hard part...raising some funds for a purchase from HDS! LOL.

Best,
sgt253

IMG_1657.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
sgt253 was last on the list so...

This was originally a 200 lumen light that I recalibrated down to 140 lumens. Actual out the front lumens is 140.
At HDS, Henry does the programing and I do the calibration so it was a simple matter for me to drop the output down.

Why would I do such a horrible thing? Well, it reminds me of a joke about women, depth perception, and 8 inches, but I can't tell that joke here on a public forum. We, the flashoholics of the world, have been lied to so much and so often by so many that it becomes incredibly difficult for use to really know lumen output. This coupled with the logarithmic way our eyes work (not just eyes, but the human body in general tends to work in a logarithmic fashion) it makes discerning things like lumen values extremely tricky.

While things like the FL-1 standard have come about, it really is just flashlight manufactures attempting to police themselves (which to me is a lot like congress being able to vote for their own pay raises or the inmates running the asylum), and so we went from the National Enquirer lumen ratings to The World Weekly News lumen ratings but somehow, everyone felt better about this.

Really, the closest thing we have to an independent body is right here... CPF. The problem is, there is so much disinformation out there that often gets perpetuated along as fact (like the United States Carbine, Caliber .30, M1 not being able to penetrate frozen wool Chinese clothes... or the 9mm Parabelum being a newer caliber than the .45 ACP... 1903 9mm vs. 1905 .45... Oops. Wrong forum, but you get what I mean.)

Quite simply, it was one of the things I wanted to demonstrate as so many people think the HDS is "underpowered" in lumen output. It is the main reason I shut down discussion on the emitter in this thread as folks wanted to guess the output by what emitter was used (which I changed the original output anyway) but it is virtually impossible to tell with the naked eye what the output is... which is why we have $15,000 equipment to do so. It becomes a little easier when comparing lights side by side, however again, your eyes will play tricks on you as a completely diffused light producing the same lumen output as a light with a tightly focused beam will appear to be much less bright and warmer tints tend to give us the impression of lower output than cool while.

The other reason for the pass around was adjectives. Bright, big, small, heavy, light, dim, best, cheap, expensive... are all rather meaningless. It is all the perception of the user and unless one gets to hold, feel, and use the light for themselves, they really won't know. Add into this that a flashlight is more than just the sum of its parts (and sometimes less), and also how one uses a light varies greatly from person to person. HDS certainly is NOT for everyone. It's a niche market and the only person who can decide if you are in that niche is yourself... and that can be hard to do unless you are willing to plop down money based on other's adjectives from their perceptions or borrow and handle the light to figure it out for yourself.

I have also found that most often the biggest critics of HDS lights are by those who have never owned, let alone used an HDS light. We don't have to go too far back into the HDS thread to see this. First hand experience is ultimately the only way you will know if the light is right for you.

Lithium466

Enlightened
I assumed it was programmed to a lower output ;)

I have more than 10 HDS, which is a little too much, but I don't need higher outputs...maybe longer runtime, although youcan always carry more batteries.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
Quite simply, it was one of the things I wanted to demonstrate as so many people think the HDS is "underpowered" in lumen output. It is the main reason I shut down discussion on the emitter in this thread as folks wanted to guess the output by what emitter was used (which I changed the original output anyway) but it is virtually impossible to tell with the naked eye what the output is... which is why we have $15,000 equipment to do so..

Well, the light is bright enough for me to pre-flight a 747. I don't need a pocket light to be any brighter.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
This IS painful.... I wish to hell I wasn't international! But then I guess to be fair I ve owned several HDS lights and learned what I ve learned by hands on experience which is VERY expensive but thankfully I m at that sweet point I know what trips my trigger, what doesn't but still have that urge to get "better" than what I have.
Maybe when I get my 4000k and my seal over to the UK I ll either sell my tactical OR do a passaround!