• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

HDS EDC Executive Pass Around

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got home from work to a surprise. USPS was ahead of schedule. I'll give the light a test run this weekend and report back Sunday or Monday. Should have it passed on by Wednesday or Thursday. Probably won't be able to get to the post office until then. Should be a good weekend!

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some initial impressions.

1. Feels bombproof as advertised.
2. I'd also probably prefer the 18650 tube.
3. I'd also prefer the raised button.
4. I'm pretty picky and for the cost of this light, the o-ring issue mentioned before would really bother me.
5. I'm also a tint snob. I light neutral and warm hi cri. That said, this tint isn't bad as long as I don't compare it to my other lights.
6. Brightness is good for an edc. Personally I think it's a lower lumen count than expected. I think the reflector does a great job at throwing the light. Looks like 200ish lumens but wouldn't be surprised if it's 140 or 160 lumens.

More to come later. I hope I don't come accross as negative on this light. I really like it, just have high expectations. This opportunity is perfect because I'm in on the group buy. Playing ahead will allow me to get the configuration I really want. Thanks Hogo!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not negative at all. I'm the one who probably squished that o-ring as I switched out the flood reflector for this reflector before I shipped it. No point sending out a light with a flood reflector when they are not available any more.
70-80% of lights leaving HDS are custom lights from the custom page. People like to "build their own" as it were, and get exactly what they want... I'm the same way.
It's good to play with the light so you know exactly what you like/don't like about it. For my bug out bag lights, I prefer the executive and flush buttons, but for my daily carry, I much prefer a Rotary with raised tail. I also greatly prefer HiCRI and lean more toward warmer tints... but the 5700k High Noon is my holy grail.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
No big deal on the o-ring. I understand. Interesting tidbit bit of info on most of the lights being custom. Not surprising, but that must make for a complex business model. I'll have to read up on the 5700 high noon.

More takaways from the light. Last night I played around in the yard a bit. I agree the beam is Malkoff m61 like in shape, but given what I think are lower lumens the reflector really impressed me. I see more throw out of this compared to the M61n I have. Perhaps it's the neutral vs cool tint?

Overall, I like the executive UI. I am not a fan of the rotary. Too many moving parts for me. Truth is the Elzetta Alpha is perfect for most of my needs. However, I want a bit more throw in a high quality small package. This light seems to fit the profile. More to come later....

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that an HDS won't replace my Alpha. I like the simplicity of the Alpha for a work light. However, the HDS will be a great compliment to the Alpha especially with an 18650 tube. While I know the HDS is durable and as high quality as they come it feels more like a work of art than a working tool. Probably a lot of that comes from the price. Dropping or losing an Elzetta Alpha is much more stomachable. Letting a coworker borrow my HDS would make me cringe. With that said, I'm looking forward to the group buy. I will carry the light on evenings and weekends and continue to enjoy the utility of the Alpha at work. If it ain't broke don't fix it. There is always room for another light. The HDS will be more enjoyable to own for sure. The craftsmanship and customizable features can't be beat. I'm going to keep playing with the HDS for a couple more days if that's ok and get it shipped by Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks again to Hogo! It's very generous of you to set this up. Thanks much!

A quick note. Programming the light was no problem. Easy enough for me.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a trying time bouncing like a ping pong ball back and forth in & out of the hospital, I was so thrilled to receive the light today! Thanks Nick for the tracking info & getting it to me so quickly. I immediately started playing(excuse me, "evaluating" the light). I was very pleased with how intuitive the light is. I loved the appearance and knurling, and how it felt in my hand. Tomorrow I will begin posting my impressions tomorrow. I love passarounds, and the chance to try out lights-of course I usually end up finding a light that I have to have (I just didn't know yet that I had to have it). My review may be a little "lighter" than usual due to current circumstances, but I look forward to sharing what I learn....

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
My apologies for the delay-had another quick trip to the hospital. I hope to post shortly but have had a chance to put it through it's paces. Should be ready to pass it on in a couple days. Thanks for your patience and another "Thank You!" For the pass around. Now that I have quite a few lights that put out massive quantities of Lumens, I am finally beginning to appreciate and recognize that what I truly "need" is quality in the appropriate range-more is decidedly not better. Did I say I really like the size, feel and overall quality that exudes from this light?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My apologies for the delay-had another quick trip to the hospital. I hope to post shortly but have had a chance to put it through it's paces. Should be ready to pass it on in a couple days. Thanks for your patience and another "Thank You!" For the pass around. Now that I have quite a few lights that put out massive quantities of Lumens, I am finally beginning to appreciate and recognize that what I truly "need" is quality in the appropriate range-more is decidedly not better. Did I say I really like the size, feel and overall quality that exudes from this light?

Just checking in to see if you are ok. Haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope you are doing all right.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard from Crazyeddiethefist today and he is shipping the light out and I sent a PM to staticx57 with the tracking info.

Please keep Eddie in your thoughts and prayers as he has been in and out of the hospital recently.

Hogo

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
70-80% of lights leaving HDS are custom lights from the custom page. People like to "build their own" as it were, and get exactly what they want... I'm the same way. It's good to play with the light so you know exactly what you like/don't like about it. For my bug out bag lights, I prefer the executive and flush buttons, but for my daily carry, I much prefer a Rotary with raised tail. I also greatly prefer HiCRI and lean more toward warmer tints... but the 5700k High Noon is my holy grail.

Why do you prefer the raised tail? I think the very short travel in the HDS executive clicky is one of HDS' best features.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why do you prefer the raised tail? I think the very short travel in the HDS executive clicky is one of HDS' best features.

I broke my thumb (and 14 others bones) a few years ago and it just doesn't quite work the same. It's just easier for me to activate the raised tail with a bum thumb.

moltenmag

Enlightened
I broke my thumb (and 14 others bones) a few years ago and it just doesn't quite work the same. It's just easier for me to activate the raised tail with a bum thumb.

And they said cracking your knuckles was good for you... lol jk

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast

You realize the different tailcap doesn't change the travel distance, right? I mean its just a rubber cap over the actual e-switch. The e-switch is what determines the amount of travel, and that part is the same in all the lights.

Personally, for me, I like both styles for different reasons. The flat tailcap is great for tailstanding of course, and I do like for my lights to tailstand. So I keep a couple of those around. But I also find the raised tailcap easier to actuate so most of my HDSs have raised.