HDS Systems Poll: Team Clicky or Team Rotary?

Team Clicky or Team Rotary?

• Total voters

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need some sort of sliding scale widget, which probably isn't something cpf supports. Rotary is probably going to run away with this one, for good reason, and if I had to choose just one I'd choose Rotary. But probably 10-15% of the time I'm reaching for a Clicky, and that deserves to be known. So I'd be pretty sad there were no Clickies. Glad that's not the case :)

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rotary because its more versatile. I set my Rotary up with only the turn on mode being the Rotary and the others with a set level (with one being a strobe for biking use). I usually turn it on and use it in the Rotary mode but have the other modes available for easier use.

I had the Clicky in a passaround and I can definitely get by with one without any issues. Plus as an added bonus the Clicky does have the advantage of a pocket clip.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sitting in my arm chair thinking about teaching my rotary how to act like a clicky. Will I miss the rotary function? Time will tell, but as things are I hardly use my rotary, even though I prefer its high noon emitter to the 4000K in my clicky.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Rotary all the way.

Wasn't sure I'd like it, especially after owning several Clickies and a Twisty.

End result... I became a convert. KISS. :thumbsup:

GoVegan

Enlightened
Team Clicky FTW!

I could not believe my eyes when a while back in one of the threads I saw the discussion about the Clicky possibility being discontinued!... Glad when I read that Hogo said that they are keeping it for sure.
But just 10% of sales, wow.
For me, HDS is all about reliability, and yes I know that there was only one reported rotary failure from a high impact drop but just the fact that it's a moving part is enough for me to not buy a Rotary. Also Henry sealed the deal for a Clicky when he said if you'll be rolling around in the dirt then he'd recommend a Clicky. I also would hate having to 'fine tune' the output all the time. I just like my 9.5 lumens all the time, and when I need a bit more I just double click or hold down for maximum. Yep I know the Rotary can be setup the same way as a clicky, but again for the reasons above, and I'm not into programming my lights.

Also there is the nostalgia of the Clicky, as it's basically the same as the old Ultimate 42 models, and the original design and UI which still works great today. Just a more durable design and with a brighter maximum. Even though I didn't ever previously own any previous model until my Executive 250 purchase earlier this year.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy whichever one makes you happy

fwiw

My Rotary has the same Preset A, B, C, and D settings as my Clicky.

There is virtually No Difference, in actual use.
The 4 types of HDS Click commands produce the same modes, on both lights. (Max, Min, 20 lumens and Strobe)

The only operational differences are:
the Rotary is 2 lights in one
It can do everything a Clicky does, plus the Rotary has an extra programming UI option for modifying the output of Preset B without requiring any MultiClick commands

hardware differences
The rubber button on the Clicky is easier to change than on the Rotary
The Clicky can cost less, as it is not available in Bronze nor Brass
The Titanium Clicky is made of unobtanium.
The Titanium Rotary is available, for a small fee, and a modest wait.

For a newbie:
the Rotary UI learning curve is much faster; click on, turn dial to change brightness, click off
Reading the Rotary manual is optional
Reading the Clicky manual is required

Since both Henry and Hogo carry rotaries, they must be better.. LOL

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enlightening observations about my Rotary dial, and the merits of Strobe for a pedestrian crossing busy streets.

Because I find the hops between levels disconcertingly stroby, I use my Rotary the same way I use my clicky. That is, I use all 4 presets, not just the dial. I also like knowing how many lumens I am using, so I like using presets that I have measured on my light meter. I also have a personal preference for cigar grip, and this works well with clicky commands, and makes it easy for me to aim the light at my feet with my arm hanging naturally by my side.

My Rotary dial is usually set to turn on to minimum, double click is set to 20 lumens, triple to strobe and press to Max.

Occasionally I want my turn on Preset to be brighter than minimum so I have a tendency to close my eyes and spin the dial, then reopen my eyes to see if Im close, then I ramp slowly, one step at a time.

In the course of my Rotary Enlightenment, I have developed a couple baseline references.

7bnWjWs.jpg

Spin the dial to 50% rotation, gives about 2 lumens.

I find this useful at times when Minimum is too low and 20 lumens is more than needed. I use the set screw as a reference mark so I know when the dial is at 50% or 75%. I have also developed muscle memory to spin the dial to 50% and 75%.

Spin the dial to 75%, this gives about 20 lumens.

here is a chart of HDS levels, you can see level 12 out of 24 is about 2 lumens, and level 18 out of 24 is about 20 lumens depending on which model you have..
29185969617_76924bb2df_h.jpg

These two reference points have made the Rotary dial much more user friendly for me. I seldom need to use the settings between the first 50% of the dial. For my needs dial all the way down for .02, dial to. 50% for 2 lumens, double click for 20 lumens, or a couple clicks past 75% rotation for 40 lumens, plus the occasional Maximum, are sufficient for most tasks. I reserve the use of triple click for strobe, when crossing the street, day or night.

I find strobe very useful, and I have even had pretty women smile at me when I do that. No one has been offended, probably because I strobe the ground, not their face. I find it very gratifying that cars come to a complete stop when I am in a crosswalk. I think they like it when I use strobe to cross the street.

Strobe gives drivers a clear visual signal, and a legitimate reason to come to a full stop for a pedestrian.

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the hole in the tail cap of the Rotary smaller than the one in the Clicky?

Reason I ask is that I have huge fingers and I seem to recall when owning two rotaries that the hole in the tail cap seemed smaller in the rotaries. It may just be my perception as the Clicky seemed to click more naturally, to me. I know that is very subjective.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean the size of the button? They're the same.

No, I mean the hole in the tail cap. Or, a different question with maybe the same result, are clicky raised rubber buttons interchangeable with Rotary raised rubber buttons?

It could be that the holes in the tail caps are the same and maybe one has to push further down on a Rotary to engage the electronic switch. That may give only the perception of the Rotary tail cap hole being smaller.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I mean the hole in the tail cap. Or, a different question with maybe the same result, are clicky raised rubber buttons interchangeable with Rotary raised rubber buttons?

It could be that the holes in the tail caps are the same and maybe one has to push further down on a Rotary to engage the electronic switch. That may give only the perception of the Rotary tail cap hole being smaller.

Same size. Buttons, and switches, are the same in both lights.

TomK85

Newly Enlightened
Looking to buy my first HDS. Really doubting between the Rotary and Clicky. A friend of mine has a rotary. Adjusting it, is sometimes a bit harder depending on the position in the hand. The clicky doesn't have this problem. On the other hand, the rotary is such an unique feature for a led flashlight.

Are there any of you that bought a rotary or clicky and soon switched vice-versa?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking to buy my first HDS. Really doubting between the Rotary and Clicky. A friend of mine has a rotary. Adjusting it, is sometimes a bit harder depending on the position in the hand. The clicky doesn't have this problem. On the other hand, the rotary is such an unique feature for a led flashlight.

Are there any of you that bought a rotary or clicky and soon switched vice-versa?
I have both and use my Rotaries 99% of the time. For what it's worth you can actually program a Rotary to behave like a Clicky, so if you find the rotary knob difficult you do have a remedy. Can't do that with a Clicky....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Get the rotary. If you don't like it you can normally sell and get a Clicky but not the other way around. Rotary once you get used to it will have you spoiled. I ve got 6. No clickies. My firSt was a Clicky but it didn't do as I wanted. The rotary did "more" than I wanted or needed... so the rotary won.

TomK85

Newly Enlightened
Re: HDS Systems Poll: Team Clicky or Team Rotary?kucbf

I have both and use my Rotaries 99% of the time. For what it's worth you can actually program a Rotary to behave like a Clicky, so if you find the rotary knob difficult you do have a remedy. Can't do that with a Clicky....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Get the rotary. If you don't like it you can normally sell and get a Clicky but not the other way around. Rotary once you get used to it will have you spoiled. I ve got 6. No clickies. My firSt was a Clicky but it didn't do as I wanted. The rotary did "more" than I wanted or needed... so the rotary won.

Thanks! Convinced to get a rotary now. Esspecially due to the fact that you don't have to use the rotary function and just use it as a clicky. Unfortunately my local supplier has one in stock with bad anodizing on one part of the barrel. Maybe I'll go for a custom but shippingfees are high to Europe.