He is the Master

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not at all... the work you're doing is important and YOU are a rock star. It's important well beyond what I'm capable of expressing, but I'll give it my best try....

Michael, we don't shine our flashlights because it's cute. We shine because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion.

Medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But mega throwers, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?
2q3ryug.jpg
Thanks for the encouragement. In truth it is just as much you as me. For a man of passion money is no prize. It keeps the lights on to be sure but it doesn't get me out of bed in the morning. I very much consider what I do an art. I don't say that to inflate what I do but merely express what it means to me. An artist creates for personal expression and there is tremendous satisfaction in that but I think even more we create for other people's enjoyment. It feels good to know other people are moved by what you do. So thanks for the validation. I shall strive to continue to move others by my creations. But the day I can no longer achieve this is the day I quit. There are many ways one can leave their imprint on this world. Many ways to contribute a verse. It's not as much the specific area of contribution that matters to me. Just that I continue to contribute.

+1 for Michael and THE most amazing flashlights ever made, period!
Thanks. And love your avatar. :)

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this guy ^^^. Not in a stalker sort of way, but I will admit that I check this thread/subforum multiple times per day... per hour. :)

Zandar

Enlightened
I still believe and so does my REV Victor enthusiast, and she want's a sibling

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Michael, have you had a chance to look into osram oslon black flat LEDs? At around 4.5A it produces 250lm/mm sq. So this could already be 25% more intensity than the highest binned dedomed xpg2.

Capolini

Banned
Michael it is nice to see that your turning your frustration,mortification and dissatisfaction with the present day LED market and using your drive, passion and innovation to create your own conglomerate LED that will surpass anything the market has to offer. :thumbsup:

Boy,,,that was a long sentence!

Wouldn't you know it that the OSTS TN31mb [470Kcd]is on the docket tonight! I always brag about this! Mine was made after the run was done and has the most throw of any OSTS TN31mb that Michael made!:D

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael, have you had a chance to look into osram oslon black flat LEDs? At around 4.5A it produces 250lm/mm sq. So this could already be 25% more intensity than the highest binned dedomed xpg2.
Funny that you ask. I have several Osram products on there way to me. My curiosity being more in their phosphor layer. Also one must think of the light emitting area in 3D terms rather than 2D. Just as important is the range of depth in the emission area. And yes there are vastly differing results across the companies in this area.

light-modder

Enlightened
What is the emission area? Just the phosphor layer? I'm not real familiar with the exact makeup of an led, more so how all the pieces are put together. But this talk of piecing together your own led is fascinating, I never thought anyone would do such a thing, and exciting!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the emission area? Just the phosphor layer? I'm not real familiar with the exact makeup of an led, more so how all the pieces are put together. But this talk of piecing together your own led is fascinating, I never thought anyone would do such a thing, and exciting!
I threw this together quickly so don't judge it too harshly but hopefully you can see how depth plays a role. Spreading light out in any of the three axis reduces intensity. That includes the Z. If the light is all being emitted from a single plane the intensity will be highest. Assuming of course we are ignoring the X and Y. Remember a lens or reflector really only has one point of focus. Anything not perfectly in focus will decrease the intensity of the projected light. My research related to phosphor is in two basic fields. Identifying the phosphor with the highest native intensity and in increasing single plane emission characteristics.

2B56EA32-B5BC-460B-A0B4-F00A6044DDA0_zpslq7gxgaf.png

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Michael,

Glad to see you here more frequently than before...I still have my first light from you, the Fenix TK70 and the next one, the Awesome Deft X !!!

:popcorn:

Last edited:

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I threw this together quickly so don't judge it too harshly but hopefully you can see how depth plays a role. Spreading light out in any of the three axis reduces intensity. That includes the Z. If the light is all being emitted from a single plane the intensity will be highest. Assuming of course we are ignoring the X and Y. Remember a lens or reflector really only has one point of focus. Anything not perfectly in focus will decrease the intensity of the projected light. My research related to phosphor is in two basic fields. Identifying the phosphor with the highest native intensity and in increasing single plane emission characteristics.

2B56EA32-B5BC-460B-A0B4-F00A6044DDA0_zpslq7gxgaf.png

^^This is brilliant! I apologize if I'm going on and on about things I know very little, but even a dum dum like me can clearly see that this is the work of..... what was I just talking about? Sorry I saw some food out the corner of my eye and lost my train of thought. :(