Head lamp recommendation needed

Shooter1017

Newly Enlightened
I've been pouring over a ton of product data and haven't been able to find exactly what I want so I'll ask the experts. I need to replace my old Petzl incandescent headlamp and my requirements are simple.

I'd prefer a lamp with the center strap that goes over the top of your head, one that is powered by AA batteries, (dual fuel or not), it needs 3 or 4 brightness settings. I don't need red or a strobe or a lot of bells and whistles. 300 max lumens is all I need.

I use a head lamp a lot for sitting at a desk working on various things and I've found about 25 to 30 lumens seems perfect for me at that approx 19" distance from the lamp to my hands. Everything I have found has a low lumen of about 5 and the next step up is 40-50ish and this is more than I want.

Anyone have any recommendations for this; AA powered, center strap, 300ish max lumens and most importantly, one setting at about 25 lumens.

I cross posted this in the general thread as well, I hope that is OK.

Thanks for any replies.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
I love Zebralight and own several. For a varied use AA, the H53fw has been awesome. It's basically the H53w with a frosted lens. Probably not enough spread to be my choice for close up work as the primary use, but it does work for that.

If your primary use is <3ft in front of you, I'm skeptical about the AA headlamps Zebralight is currently offering. Many people are holding out for new updated ZL AA models, which are alleged to be just around the corner.

They've discontinued all but one AA headlamp with their "flood" pattern. That one model is the H503c. @AstroTurf above seems to really like his, though others have been disappointed with the replacement to the highly revered but long discontinued H502c. Many have complained about the H503 having heavy discoloration around the edge–– a distracting green ring, as I understand. Discontent is a rarity for Zebralight zealots, so the conspicuous amount of mixed reviews has personally put me off from purchaseing one.

Side note: While the 503w shows up on their product spreadsheet as a current model, it's no longer being produced. A shame, as the 503w seems to have been generally regarded as having less of an issue with that offending green ring.

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manker E03H II (neutral white) On sale for around $24 at times.

Red light to the right...
wLbIHcl.jpg

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
H53Fc is what I use and recommend
No longer being sold. The 503c, H53Fw, and H53w are the only AA headlamps ZL is currently offering. One flood, one floody, one spot+spill. I like my Fw, but not as a close work light. The 503c is the only mule.

Manker E03H II (neutral white) On sale for around $24 at times.
Second that. Nice one that wont break the bank even when full price. Has a 50Lm setting, too.

BrightestBulb

Newly Enlightened
luciferlights.net Pricey but they have some cheaper models none cheaping out on quality for the lower price. I've owned two and the
Czech company is by far the best IMO.

Last edited:

Shooter1017

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies gents. I wound up ordering a nightcore HA23 as I saw some videos on it and think it will work ok. It's only $24.99 delivered so we're not talking a bunch of $ here. If it doesn't totally fit the bill. I may try the HMR50 fenix 3L3 suggested above. Thanks all.