Headlamp for camping/hiking

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
Manker E03H. Mine is a Cool White. Even though it's got a slight greenish tint, I still prefer it to anything "Nichia" (also because of the reduced output you get with those). Obviously, you can get one in "Neutral White", if that's your thing.
So, the reflector produces a bit of a hot spot but it is just what you need for the kind of (relatively) short throw you get with this light. The beam is very easy on the eye for walking around, doing camping stuff and even reading but the best part about that is the diffusers.
Yes, with this model you get the choice of 3 different diffusers: Red, Green and White. What this means for you is that you can get 4(!) levels of brightness of red light. Better still, the output in the Moonlight mode is customizable (via "Engineering mode").
*The diffusers themselves are very strong and once you clip one on it'll stay on there, even if you don't take good care of your headlamp. The flip side to that is that they are very hard to detach. Trying to switch between the diffusers out in the field you are liable to lose or break one and/or injure yourself in the process. For me it was hard enough to do on my workbench, with some proper tools. So, basically, even though you get 3 diffusers, they aren't really "interchangeable". You pretty much have to commit to just one (or none at all).

BTW: The White diffuser is awesome but the Red and Green are not so much. They aren't opaque enough for me but then, I'm not even sure that those were designed to "diffuse" the light at all. So, what happens is that you do not get truly "Red" light with this thing, out of the box anyway. To do something about it I simply took a scrap of fine-grade sand paper to the Red diffuser and now it's much closer to what I need it to be. I'm sure those pieces of plastic can be modded in all sorts of different ways. (Save yourself some time though and skip the acetone, I've already tried it)

Anyway, check out the specs, they're pretty impressive. I've done some testing and the driver on this baby is awesome. It runs flawlessly with any type of cells (nothing above 2V though). Constant output throughout, no PWM to speak of, not much heat, Turbo output for when you need it. Awesome threads on the tail end and the cap's rotation is very snug, which provides very effective lock-out. *There is also a very awkward "lock out" mode in the interface, which I never bother with.

No headlamp is perfect but seriously, if I could take only one flashlight with me into the unknown, this one would be it. It is ultra-functional and from what I can tell so far, very reliable. I doubt there's anything else like it out there, not in the price range anyway.

PS: If you ain't too happy with the stock headband, you can always buy a "proper" one like this, for example:
https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/hb02 *Just a "heads-up": if your head is any bigger than "average", this particular product will be too small for ya. BTW, the ones they sell on AliExpress are really big enough only for kids.

PPS: Manker also makes a very similar light in the AAA variety. The E02 is quite bulky for a AAA size, there are no attachable diffusers but there's a choice of different body colors and even 2 flavors of titanium bodies. The interface is identical to the E03, though the max output is not as high. I have one E03 in "red" and am about to receive another one.
In case you didn't know, there are AAA to AA battery adapters. If you have any AAA cells with you out camping, having such an adapter can come in real handy. The E03, for example, runs on AAA's with no problem. With a primary lithium Energizer AAA (w. adapter) I get 87 minutes of runtime in the HIGH mode (not Turbo), which I find to be quite impressive.

Last edited:

billbillw

Newly Enlightened
i got them on ebay, they are basically 10-14 bucks range everywhere. so not much savings from seller to seller, go by reputation and feedback score.

p.s. there is a version with 2 leds, i never tried that one, also there other versions of such light, that use lens, instead of reflector, and has zoom, and slightly different\simplified body. i was told by someone who bought and tried it, on fonarevka.ru that it's inferior version, with weaker charging circuit.

So, I found a bunch of these on eBay (not using the Hedeli or Boruit brand names though) and I also found the extensive thread over at BLF talking about the headlamp.

Its amazing what a rabbit hole you can go down when you start reading these forums. After a couple weeks of reading, this is what I currently have coming in the mail:

1-Boruit/Generic XM-L2 18650 headlamp
1-Liitokala Lii-202 charger
1-BLF A6 Special flashlight (neutral white)
1-Astrolux C8 thrower (neutral white)
6-Samsung 30Q batteries
1-Tent fan (runs on a single 18650 battery, from Liion Wholesale)
and a finally, a I ordered a couple of diffusers that mount to the end of a 24.5mm flashlight like the Convoy S2/BLF A6.

I was starting to look at something like the Nitecore LR12, but decided a $2 diffuser would probably suite me just fine. Maybe I can stop carrying my Black Diamond Orbit lantern now. It has been somewhat of a AAA battery hog over the years and quits unexpectedly way too much.

EDIT: I may still order a Skilhunt H03 at some point and give the generic one to my son. We will see how it goes.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: I may still order a Skilhunt H03 at some point and give the generic one to my son. We will see how it goes.

those are good lights, but they come with crappy driver, they seem to use crappy solder, and a fall from few feet kills them, majority of them failed within a year. but the light is easy to take apart, and replace driver, i replaced mine with simple linear 7135 board, same one that every convoy uses, they can be programmed to work with momentary button. mountain electronic sell those for like 7 bucks.

anotherocduser

Newly Enlightened
Check out Lupine. Not cheap but they are the best in the business. Their lights are used in Search and rescue, caving and climbing.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought enough Petzl Tikkina 150's over the weekend for my entire family for $15 ea, all destined for their camping packs.

After owning the Tikkina 80 for a couple of years and using it quite a bit with zero issues I am impressed with the basic quality, great reliability and amazing run-time of these direct drive classic series of lights. I am finding I am enjoying headlamps more and more these days and they find more use than my other hand held lights other than my EDC key-chain lights.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm new to headlamps but have quickly realized how useful they are especially models like the AA Zebralights that can be removed from the strap and used as handhelds as well. I bought a Tikkina at REI a few weeks before getting the zebralight H53c and the Tikkina is back in the box currently waiting on a possible return. I haven't been able to do it yet though. Great light, but the single battery lights make more sense to me than the 3xaaa. I may end up keeping both though.
I bought enough Petzl Tikkina 150's over the weekend for my entire family for $15 ea, all destined for their camping packs.

After owning the Tikkina 80 for a couple of years and using it quite a bit with zero issues I am impressed with the basic quality, great reliability and amazing run-time of these direct drive classic series of lights. I am finding I am enjoying headlamps more and more these days and they find more use than my other hand held lights other than my EDC key-chain lights.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a couple headlamps this year to try to upgrade from my Thrunite TH20 Neutral. Added a Black Diamond Cosmos, Acebeam H40 SST-20 (high CRI), Sofirn D25S and now a pair of Armytec Wizard Pro's in White and Warm with the Cree XHP50. If I could only pick ONE it would be the Thrunite TH20. That light has been a solid tool which has seen use for hiking, jogging, camping and a LOT of car repair. Easy to use AA with alkaline or NIMH and can even flex to a 14500 if you need higher output. The Acebeam H40 with the high CRI SST-20 is a VERY close second but the beam is a little tighter than I prefer (though still totally usable) but none of my protected 14500 cells fit as they are too long. The Acebeam does feel like it might be a little nicer quality with the beefy square threads but you cant argue with the results I've had from the TH20.

The Black Diamond Cosmos is actually a pretty nice light for a normal person. Variable functions, useful though tricky UI and good brightness as well as economical low modes. I like the option for spot and flood output, though the spot is rather floody but the flood LED seems to have a good tint and reasonable CRI. Plus I love the direct access to red mode. A deal breaker is their false advertising for IPX8 waterproof. The electronics are sealed, maybe, but the battery compartment is completely exposed with visible gaps. Doesn't affect function for general purpose use but means it will never be a go-to hard use or bug out light.

Just received the Sofirn and the Armyteks. First impressions of both are good, though the Sofirn is definitely a budget light and the Armytek has a mixed reputation. I'm very excited to use the Armytek more, seems to be a great headlamp if the switch and driver hold up.

Latest posts